PDA

View Full Version : Tricky 3 year old. Any advice?

Kbrands
08-06-2015, 06:08 AM
I've had this 3 year old for a year now, and Although she settled in very well initially, I'm starting to get a few problems regarding her behaviour.

Number 1- swearing. She's picked it up from her older siblings and apparently does it a lot at home. The advice I read is to ignor it, which I've been doing, but are there any other methods I can use? I made it clear that we don't use 'horrible words' and have been ignoring it consistently for about a month, but it seems to be getting worse.

Number 2- this is so minor, it seems silly. We go to a toddler group once a week and she will not leave the person supervising it alone!! To the point of me thinking we might have to not go for a few weeks! The person supervising isn't there to play with the children, only to 'oversee' and is clearly not that impressed by having a toddler following him around for the whole session, but is very polite about it, do won't just say 'oh, I'm too busy to play now'. I've tried a lot of distraction, but she keeps going back to him.

This child comes from a big family and finds it very difficult to play by herself, something we're working on. The toddler group started out as a great opportunity for her to play by herself or with other children her age, while I could look on. There's SO much to do there, and I usually start activites off for her to demonstrate fun ways to play with the equipment, but she would obviously much rather be in the company of an adult, even if it means not playing and just standing there and staring!

Any advice?

chris goodyear
08-06-2015, 07:26 AM
I would really make it clear that swearing is definitley not allowed! If it means she has time out (and at 3 years old she will understand) more times than not in a day then so be it. Stick to your guns and don't pussy foot around her. Talk to her parents so that they are aware and if it continues I would give notice. It that seems harsh think of it this way. Do you have other mindees? They might give notice if they start swearing! I had a similar situation a few months ago when an older boy (9 years old) was using very inappropriate language and suggestive actions which then the 7 year olds then repeated. I told mum who was shocked and also denied that her son would not do that but she gave notice and I kept all the others which was the best way round. Also years ago I had a boy who swore and a mindees mum said she wasn't happy to have her daughter here while he was here but I really cracked down on him and they both stayed for years so it can be done.

As for the toddler situation yes I would stay away for a while and see if it breaks the habit. IF that doesn't work I would just be very firm and tell her to come away from the leader and be on her case! I wonder why she does it? Has she got a dad at home? Does she follow anyone around like that?

Good luck.

juneburkett
12-09-2015, 01:19 PM
I've had this 3 year old for a year now, and Although she settled in very well initially, I'm starting to get a few problems regarding her behaviour.

Number 1- swearing. She's picked it up from her older siblings and apparently does it a lot at home. The advice I read is to ignor it, which I've been doing, but are there any other methods I can use? I made it clear that we don't use 'horrible words' and have been ignoring it consistently for about a month, but it seems to be getting worse.

Number 2- this is so minor, it seems silly. We go to a toddler group once a week and she will not leave the person supervising it alone!! To the point of me thinking we might have to not go for a few weeks! The person supervising isn't there to play with the children, only to 'oversee' and is clearly not that impressed by having a toddler following him around for the whole session, but is very polite about it, do won't just say 'oh, I'm too busy to play now'. I've tried a lot of distraction, but she keeps going back to him.

This child comes from a big family and finds it very difficult to play by herself, something we're working on. The toddler group started out as a great opportunity for her to play by herself or with other children her age, while I could look on. There's SO much to do there, and I usually start activites off for her to demonstrate fun ways to play with the equipment, but she would obviously much rather be in the company of an adult, even if it means not playing and just standing there and staring!

Any advice?

i would ignore for a younger child but at 3 you can explain about those words being adult words and its not very nice to use them when your little, i usually say no one will want to play with you if your swearing. hope this helps