PDA

View Full Version : Variations - DfE clarification

sarah707
06-06-2015, 08:44 AM
This is a new clarification document about childminder variations from 4Children on behalf of DfE.

We now have it clearly in writing on a website we can link which is not our own 'These [referring to the examples in the EYFS about when we can have more than 3 under 5] illustrated exceptions are not exhaustive examples'.

This is really good news - Ofsted inspectors who say we cannot have variations for continuity of care can be told 'DfE states that the variations rulse in the Eyfs are not exhaustive examples' and show them the document -

Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/2015/03/frequently-asked-questions-childminder-ratios/)

However, we MUST be able to justify why we have more than 3 - that we are delivering high quality care and learning to more than 3 - that we are coping well with the change.

This risk assessment will help you to manage variations - Changes to Conditions of Registration (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/changestoconditionsofregistration.html).

Hth :D

loocyloo
06-06-2015, 08:49 AM
Thanks x :-)

shortstuff
06-06-2015, 01:16 PM
Thanks Sarah x

Simona
08-06-2015, 07:28 PM
This is good news and true to its word the DfE has put up the FAQs session in the Foundation Years website for ratio clarification which they did say they were going to do.

Looking at the email of 23 February 2015 I received from the DfE, which I reported here at the time, the wording used is exactly the same as that on the FAQs.

A small step for Cms and one we hope can simplify the ratio issue for us :thumbsup:

Simona
09-06-2015, 08:53 AM
How odd...I have just posted a question on the FAQs section only to be told this has now closed!!

The clarification is ok...ish! but we could do with more opportunities to explore our ratios.
The example of caring for twins is a little misleading...although the overall ratio of 1:6 is now clarified and should do away with talking about variations as these do not apply any more

It is also clear we can change our ratio 'for whatever reasons'...further examples would be welcome.

I have just email the DfE again and tweeted to 4 Children...and put the ratio question back on the London OBC agenda.

JCrakers
09-06-2015, 10:30 AM
Not really that helpful though :(

The question about twins. We already know that we can never exceed 6. What we need to know is if we can have 4 under 5 with the extra twin,, so nothing we didn't know already in this document.

Simona
09-06-2015, 10:36 AM
Not really that helpful though :(

The question about twins. We already know that we can never exceed 6. What we need to know is if we can have 4 under 5 with the extra twin,, so nothing we didn't know already in this document.

I have asked 4 Children where we can ask more questions...totally agree some of the statements are wishy washy.
I hope lady from DfE also comes back...have pointed out the very question you asked because the twins example is misleading.

Word for word the FAQs are a copy and paste of the email I received from the DfE...with pertinent sections missed out...go figure!

Simona
15-06-2015, 08:04 AM
Pacey has published a very important message regarding ratios for CMs.
Ofsted clarified this issue at the recent Pacey conference...their advice is actually quite good and for once we see 'continuity of care' addressed.

FAQs have been posted on the Foundation Years website but they are not as clear as they should be...the message below is very clear:

Following on from PACEY’s spring conference, where the issue of child ratios for childminders was raised, Ofsted has helped clarify the issue and has shared the following guidance, which has also been given to their inspectors and helpline staff:

The EYFS provides the standard ratios but also recognises circumstances where these ratios can change so that the needs of children and their families are met. Paragraphs 3.30 and 3.42 advise that: ‘exceptionally, and where the quality of care and safety and security of children is maintained, exceptions to the ratios may be made’. For example exceptions can be made when childminders are caring for sibling babies or when caring for their own baby. There may also be other adjustments to the ratios, for example where children need continuity of care.

Inspectors must ensure that the quality of care is not compromised by a childminder caring for more children and that they meet the needs of all the children in their care. Exceeding the ratio is not a breach in itself unless the childminder is failing to meet the needs of all children.

The Department for Education (DfE) has published some frequently asked questions (FAQs) which provide further guidance.If you receive information that is different to the above guidance, Ofsted has advised that you take the name of the person, the date and time of the call and report it to them to investigate further.

Those who are Pacey members can contact Pacey if they need further clarification