PDA

View Full Version : verruca treatment

Maza
05-06-2015, 08:23 AM
Morning all,
DD, 6, discovered a verruca on her big toe this morning. She has gone to school as normal - a bit grumpy because she thought it might allow her a day off, ha ha. I've not had to deal with one before - do I need to go to GP to get diagnosis confirmed? What treatments are recommended these days? I suppose I'll have to buy her a verruca sock for swimming (she'll hate the extra attention) but what about at home - is it ok to be barefoot on the carpet? Do I need to get mindees to keep their socks on? The first they they all love to do at the moment is take off their socks as soon as they arrive! Thanks.

lollipop kid
05-06-2015, 09:10 AM
Hi, Maza.

I've got a friend who is a Chiropodist, so whenever my children get these, I get her to remove them straight away. I don't think she charges much for this, so for me it's well worth it - see below!

(This is because years ago, my DD got one on her heel when she was about three. We tried to treat it over the course of about 6 months using the stuff you buy in the chemists. We also got her a verucca sock for swimming, and some natty plastic sandals to wear round the pool at school and socially, and had her keeping her socks on throughout the house so it didn't spread. Then I was bleaching the bath and the tiles after baths so it didn't spread. It grew huge (the size of a 50p coin) and eventually came away itself inside her shoe (this was with the treatment stuff on). It also took a lot of skin off with it. So much so that she got a big shock, and so did we. I decided after that to go down the instant removal route rather that the treatment route.)

Looking back, even if it cost me about £30 to remove it, I'd have been much better off spending that up front rather than putting us all through what we actually put up with over the whole process.

I hope that helps.

See what others say, but this was my experience, bringing me to conclude it's best to just get it whipped off when it's still small.

All the best,

L

Maza
05-06-2015, 09:22 AM
Thanks lollipop kid. Gosh, your poor DD. There's always something with kids isn't there? Is it painful to have it removed? How long does the procedure take? x

lollipop kid
05-06-2015, 09:29 AM
Thanks lollipop kid. Gosh, your poor DD. There's always something with kids isn't there? Is it painful to have it removed? How long does the procedure take? x

I think most freeze it (like dry ice stuff), or apply an 'acid' so not painful but may be a bit tender? I also recall that it's fairly quick (and certainly within 30 minutes but you might need more than one visit?). Why not call one up and ask what's involved in treatment and what charges are? (We haven't had one for years, so I can't remember exactly. I know she found a tiny seedcorn on my foot a few years ago - I didn't even know it was there. I was just mucking about showing her my new blinged up toenail polish (vain, me?) and happened to sit in her treatment chair for a laugh. She whipped that seedcorn off in seconds.)

:D

L

smurfette
05-06-2015, 09:45 AM
I have just had one.. Have tried various over the counter over the years with my girls but this treatment was best.. From boots something starting with an o from boots will look later .. took about 6 weeks, wash and then apply .. A pain but it works but as lollipop says chiropodist might be handier x

tulip0803
05-06-2015, 10:02 AM
DD2 has just had one - tried treating with Scholl seal and heal verruca which was difficult to apply and seemed to do nothing so stopped using after a couple of weeks and tried Bazuka much easier to apply and had gone within 2 weeks (was there one night went to treat next and had gone).

loocyloo
05-06-2015, 01:28 PM
Dd had one ...
We treated each night with dandelion sap :-) dabbed on till covered and then allowed to dry. Within a couple of weeks it has gone!

Dandelion sap contains salicylic acid which is in alot of the chemical preparations you can buy!

Another remedy is to put a bit of banana skin (inside bit next to verruca) on it with a plaster!
And a 3rd remedy is to cover it with gaffa tape!

lollipop kid
05-06-2015, 01:34 PM
Dd had one ...
We treated each night with dandelion sap :-) dabbed on till covered and then allowed to dry. Within a couple of weeks it has gone!

Dandelion sap contains salicylic acid which is in alot of the chemical preparations you can buy!

Another remedy is to put a bit of banana skin (inside bit next to verruca) on it with a plaster!

Ooh - love these. What is 'gaffa' tape. Is it masking tape (the stuff to use when decorating??) Just wondering.

L

loocyloo
05-06-2015, 03:27 PM
Ooh - love these. What is 'gaffa' tape. Is it masking tape (the stuff to use when decorating??) Just wondering.

L

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Faithfull-Gaffa-Tape-50mm-Black/dp/B0001IWRYS

Gaffa tape is the black thick tape that lots of techy people use to hold things together, although we have silver and hobbycraft sell in all sorts of colours!

smurfette
08-06-2015, 08:42 PM
Think it's called occusol

Rubybubbles
09-06-2015, 02:07 PM
I used to have to get warts froze at the doctors and they used to use the same stuff for verruca's (I know gross eh, I had 100's growing up- I must have sat picking them all day!)

I have used the extra strength bazuka with good results on ds x

Dd had one ...

Gaffa tape haha, always make me think of kimwipe blue roll for some reason!

Smiley
09-06-2015, 06:50 PM
Gaffa tape haha, always make me think of kimwipe blue roll for some reason![/QUOTE]

We always have Gaffa tape and Kimwipe in the garage :)

Maza
09-06-2015, 07:36 PM
Am I the only person who hasn't got a clue what 'kimwipe' is?

sing-low
09-06-2015, 08:17 PM
Me neither (and I'm scared to google it!)

Rubybubbles
09-06-2015, 08:41 PM

Haha. Otherwise known as blue roll? Does that help haha

Maza
09-06-2015, 08:47 PM
Haha. Otherwise known as blue roll? Does that help haha

blue roll of what???? Is it rude? :blush:

Rubybubbles
09-06-2015, 09:22 PM
blue roll of what???? Is it rude? :blush:

No honest hahahahaha it's like blue kitchen roll but massive!!

Smiley
09-06-2015, 09:27 PM
Its military talk:)

Maza
09-06-2015, 09:56 PM
No honest hahahahaha it's like blue kitchen roll but massive!!

Oh, how disappointing!:laughing:

Rubybubbles
10-06-2015, 06:26 AM
Its military talk:)

Is it? Haha I have always lived on base, dad was in, hubby is in..... Lord help me moving onto civi street!!

Smiley
10-06-2015, 07:33 PM
My hubby has done 30 years in the RAF and we've always said Gaffa tape and Kimwipe lol :)

k1rstie
11-06-2015, 07:24 AM
I though it was called elephants loo roll!!!!

Maza
11-06-2015, 08:30 AM
I though it was called elephants loo roll!!!!

An elephant called Kim!