PDA

View Full Version : World Book Day

FloraDora
23-04-2015, 10:11 AM
I am a giver again for World book night today, but this year I am giving books out on an industrial estate...a little daunting now the day has arrived. I have chosen a Roddy Doyle quick read so hopefully it will entertain some enough to read more.

The idea behind it is to get more people reading books. This will be my fourth year of being a giver, taking free books to people who possibly don't usually read. One year I decided to give a free book to single busy young mums, I went along to a coffee morning in our local shopping centre and couldn't believe how positive they all were, the local library had requests for the next book in the sequel too after, so I know it worked! I had 25 books but needed more.

I have chosen a predominantly male community of mechanics and glaziers in the section of the units I have acquired permission to visit today....so am preparing myself for a few jokes! I am going at around lunchtime and so am taking doughnuts too, which might help.

The idea is to switch of the TV tonight and read a book.......my book tonight will be Ken Robinsons that Simona sign posted me to earlier in the week.

More info : About | World Book Night (http://www.worldbooknight.org/about)

shortstuff
23-04-2015, 10:42 AM
hope your audience is as receptive this year x

lollipop kid
23-04-2015, 02:55 PM
I am a giver again for World book night today, but this year I am giving books out on an industrial estate...a little daunting now the day has arrived. I have chosen a Roddy Doyle quick read so hopefully it will entertain some enough to read more.

The idea behind it is to get more people reading books. This will be my fourth year of being a giver, taking free books to people who possibly don't usually read. One year I decided to give a free book to single busy young mums, I went along to a coffee morning in our local shopping centre and couldn't believe how positive they all were, the local library had requests for the next book in the sequel too after, so I know it worked! I had 25 books but needed more.

I have chosen a predominantly male community of mechanics and glaziers in the section of the units I have acquired permission to visit today....so am preparing myself for a few jokes! I am going at around lunchtime and so am taking doughnuts too, which might help.

The idea is to switch of the TV tonight and read a book.......my book tonight will be Ken Robinsons that Simona sign posted me to earlier in the week.

More info : About | World Book Night (http://www.worldbooknight.org/about)

Roddy Doyle - think you're onto a winner there! I love his books. I remember laughing out loud at a section in "The Van" while on the tube one morning, and when I saw the looks on the other passengers' faces, it made me laugh even more.

Great choice.

:thumbsup:

L

loocyloo
23-04-2015, 04:21 PM
Have fun. :-)
I did it a couple of years ago and have usually gone along to help a librarian friend but I can't this year.
It's sometimes remarkably hard to talk someone into taking a book.

Maza
23-04-2015, 07:22 PM
I've never heard of this before. How fantastic!

FussyElmo
01-05-2015, 03:38 PM
Hope it went well. Though I must admit its been a while since I have picked a book up :blush:

FloraDora
01-05-2015, 06:32 PM
Hope it went well. Though I must admit its been a while since I have picked a book up :blush:

It was such good fun, a little banter, but everyone was very interested in a free book. They then turned on each other and did a lads mocking each other about not being able to read ( in fun- they obviously could) and I left after they challenged each other as to who would read it first.
They said I could bring them do nuts every lunch time!
I promised to bring them do nuts again in July if they did a bit of a book club session and tell me what they thought of the book....they were very enthusiastic, a couple of them liked Roddy Doyle allready, so hopefully it was worth my while.