PDA

View Full Version : Car seat law updated...2 April 2015

Simona
05-04-2015, 08:20 AM
https://www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules/when-a-child-can-travel-without-a-car-seat

Tulip
05-04-2015, 09:23 AM
Thanks Simona :)

k1rstie
05-04-2015, 09:23 AM
This is interesting Simona. I have read through it, no mention of tall or older children

Simona
05-04-2015, 10:03 AM
This is interesting Simona. I have read through it, no mention of tall or older children

I hazard a guess that more info for us in EY will be available soon as this was updated during the Easter holidays.

Is it me or they have 'watered down' the requirements?
maybe worth checking the ROSPA website

Children - RoSPA (http://www.rospa.com/road-safety/advice/children/)

k1rstie
05-04-2015, 02:49 PM
It kinda says that only children under 3 must have a car seat. After that age it down to interpretation! A bit like childminding ratios!!!!

rickysmiths
05-04-2015, 05:24 PM
The new requirements are not based on weight but height. Over three year olds will definitely need to be in the correct seats because they will not be 135cms tall.

If you buy the new car seats you have to comply with the new regulations and that means any child up to at least 15 months old must now be reward facing. The first seats will be bigger to accommodate this.

Children will then move into the next seats according to height not weight. It will mean less seats will be needed. The recommendation is that all new seats should be anchored using isofix which is the safest way.

However the current regulations for seats will run along side the new ones for a number of years to allow parents to use just bought seats and to allow for more people to have cars that have iso fix points.

This is not something that any of us have to panic about or need us to make changes immediately. However if and when you are buying new car seats you will be sensible to take account of the new regulations.

loocyloo
05-04-2015, 05:30 PM
I bought a new 'baby seat' recently and it is definitely much bigger than the one I had been using.
However, despite the 15mth old who currently uses the seats head not reaching the top of the seat, his legs need folding to get in the seat, or he sticks them out straight and they go half way up the back of the actual carseat! (Have to remember to remove the muddy shoes!)

rickysmiths
05-04-2015, 05:42 PM
I bought a new 'baby seat' recently and it is definitely much bigger than the one I had been using.
However, despite the 15mth old who currently uses the seats head not reaching the top of the seat, his legs need folding to get in the seat, or he sticks them out straight and they go half way up the back of the actual carseat! (Have to remember to remove the muddy shoes!)

Love him! They say all children automatically cross their legs, there is always one to prove them wrong. Have bought cheap car seat covers for my car so it minimises the dirt on the seats proper. I got them in Halfods for about £20. They cover all the front seats and the head rests and the seat and back of the back seat.

hectors house
05-04-2015, 09:54 PM
It's all very well them saying rear facing in car seat up to 15 months (age rather than weight) one of my mindees has just turned 2, he is the same height and weight as one of the averaged size 3 year olds - there is no way he would have fitted in the rear facing car seat that I have that's suitable for the 13 month old baby (who is tiny) when he was 12 months let alone 15 months.

muffins
06-04-2015, 07:05 AM
It's all very well them saying rear facing in car seat up to 15 months (age rather than weight) one of my mindees has just turned 2, he is the same height and weight as one of the averaged size 3 year olds - there is no way he would have fitted in the rear facing car seat that I have that's suitable for the 13 month old baby (who is tiny) when he was 12 months let alone 15 months.

The new I-size infant seats are bigger so able to last longer, plus you can buy rear facing seats for up to 6yrs of age so other options are available.

zanacal
06-04-2015, 07:30 AM
My almost 3 year old is rear facing and perfectly comfortable :) Joie do a range of seats which are fairly reasonable and rear facing up to 18kgs. The Joie Stages seat can be used for all ages too :)

natlou82
06-04-2015, 07:49 AM
I don't drive but sometimes we travel in DHs car. The car doesn't have isofix points. My current group 0 car seat is tiny and I don't think would be suitable past 9 months for the majority of babies as their head would probably be unsupported. Can I still buy a larger group 0 seat which would be suitable up to 15 months rearward facing?

alex__17
06-04-2015, 06:41 PM
I have a 15 month old in rear facing infant carrier/baby seat, she's a chunky little thing but still fits fine and is within weight and height limits so is staying put as long as poss...I have a britax one

moggy
06-04-2015, 07:26 PM
I don't drive but sometimes we travel in DHs car. The car doesn't have isofix points. My current group 0 car seat is tiny and I don't think would be suitable past 9 months for the majority of babies as their head would probably be unsupported. Can I still buy a larger group 0 seat which would be suitable up to 15 months rearward facing?

Birth to 9kg rear facing is common (then turn to face forward to 18kg), like this: Mothercare Madrid Combination Car Seat - combination car seats (group 0+-1) - Mothercare (http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Madrid-Combination-Car-Seat/609589,default,pd.html)

Many are rear facing birth to 13kg (then turn to forward face 9kg to 18kg), like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Britax-First-Class-Toddler-Thunder/dp/B009O1P1YQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby&ie=UTF8&qid=1428348139&sr=1-1&keywords=rear+facing+car+seat+group+1

These are easy to get now, I have this type, I do not have Isofix. At 9kg you have a choice to turn to forward facing or keep it rear facing up to the max weight allowed rear facing. The are really hard to get the child into, though, when rear facing as the seatbelt cuts right across where you need to get the child

natlou82
06-04-2015, 07:35 PM
Luckily I don't have any under 15 months at present but trying to prepare for what I may need in future. Thanks for your help Moggy.

natlou82
06-04-2015, 07:40 PM
Again though as a thought I look after a LO who was over 20kg at 12 months yet these seats do not recommend rear facing to this weight! I suppose I will need to do my research when the time comes or keep them out of the car until 15 months lol!

moggy
06-04-2015, 07:50 PM
Again though as a thought I look after a LO who was over 20kg at 12 months yet these seats do not recommend rear facing to this weight! I suppose I will need to do my research when the time comes or keep them out of the car until 15 months lol!

20kg at 12mths???

20 kg is 44lbs and is like a 6yr old!

Do you mean 20lbs?

20lbs is 9kg so fine rear facing in these types of forward/rear facing seats.

alex__17
06-04-2015, 07:51 PM
Just checked britax website and they've changed the approx age range of seats to comply with new rules...
I have the baby safe with always used to say birth to 13kg, approx 9 months, now it says to approx 15 months, I guess because people moved them once they got to 9 months old to the next stage forward facing...
15 mo old fits fine in it (even my 2.5 year old can sit in it but his head is too high, but he fits width wise!

http://www.britax.co.uk/car-seats/car-seats

natlou82
06-04-2015, 08:11 PM
Ha ha yes oh dear I've had a glass of wine :-D