PDA

View Full Version : Pre reg on Weds..... so scared.

sab
02-04-2015, 09:58 PM
I have my pre reg visit next week and I'm struggling to get my head round everything I need to know. I have most my policies and procedures sorted, need to do a few risk assessments but what areas of the Eyfs and safeguarding do I need to concentrate on? What questions am I likely to be asked? And do I have to have everything ready, ie, fire blankets, stair gates, locks on windows, sleeping area, etc. I have everything already as I have 2 young children but took stair gates down and travel cot is in loft.

Ellisha
03-04-2015, 12:16 PM
Hi, don't panic. There is a pre-registration booklet with the questions they are likely to ask you. Have you got it? If so, go through each question and note down your answers - you should be able to refer to them as you go along. For me, they asked me to talk about activities in each area of learning for a 1 year old and 4 year, separate activities for each. The asked me about the 2 year check, and what I would do if I noticed a child wasn't progressing as expected. What I would do for children who's home language isn't English. How I would communicate with parents. She wanted to me to name the 4 types of abuse and how I would identify them, what I would do if I suspected abuse. What things I needed to notify Ofsted about, e.g. change of address.
Going around my house, she didn't need to see my travel cot and I think if you can say you have stair gates and will put them up if required that should be fine. She did check I had locks on windows and any low cupboards with cleaning products. Some inspectors will expect everything in place safety wise and some will be ok with you have a detailed risk assessment saying what you intend to do so best to have as much done as possible.

Maza
03-04-2015, 01:01 PM
Great advice from Ellisha. I was asked similar questions. I hadn't bought any stair gates but said I would depending on the age of the child I got. She was fine wit that. I asked her if she wanted to see my travel cot and she said no. x

Gill Brownsword
03-04-2015, 07:22 PM
Hi, don't panic! My inspector was lovely and was only interested in my knowledge. I was honest about not having stair gates and window restrictors. She was happy for me to have restrictors in place by the time I start. I had all my paperwork on the dining room table so I didn't have to search far for any info. Everything else is exactly as Ellisha said.
You'll be great. Make the inspector a cuppa and it gives you time for a few deep breaths :)

sarah707
03-04-2015, 07:43 PM
The inspection has changed recently and they do expect newly reg childminders to be pretty much ready to go... make sure you have your answers about how you are going to work and you'll be fine! :D

sab
03-04-2015, 08:36 PM
Thanks for your help ladies and Ellisha there are some good questions I hadn't even thought of there. Don't really know what to say about non English speaking children or the 2 year check. Your comments have really helped :)

mumofone
04-04-2015, 06:54 AM
I have my pre reg visit next week and I'm struggling to get my head round everything I need to know. I have most my policies and procedures sorted, need to do a few risk assessments but what areas of the Eyfs and safeguarding do I need to concentrate on? What questions am I likely to be asked? And do I have to have everything ready, ie, fire blankets, stair gates, locks on windows, sleeping area, etc. I have everything already as I have 2 young children but took stair gates down and travel cot is in loft.

Aw good luck, let us know how you get on :-)