PDA

View Full Version : Stop the needless paperwork

Simona
31-03-2015, 08:31 AM
Edited by admin to remove petition details - please see the rules of the group which state -

Members must seek permission before posting links to commercial websites, petitions, blogs, facebook pages/groups or other social media sites.

There are some useful links lower down the thread which members might find interesting. Thank you.

Mouse
31-03-2015, 09:02 AM
I know the "good old days" were far from perfect, but I would love to go back to the times when children came here for childcare, they played, they learned just as much as they do now, but it was all so much more natural and undocumented.

Has there every been any research that shows whether or not EYFS, LJs, planning etc etc actually improve outcomes for children?

FloraDora
31-03-2015, 12:22 PM
Interesting Simona, thankyou for sign posting.

I met a 46 year old the other day who I taught when he was in primary school, in the days before constant tracking and planning etc... He is a surgeon, he is still in touch with a number of his primary school friends as he stayed local, all doing well , one a grandparent ( before me!) - and as I walked off I wondered the same thing Mouse. All these succesful people who were educated in an era of nobody tracking or testing etc... Are we really any better at educating now ?

Simona
31-03-2015, 05:05 PM
I know the "good old days" were far from perfect, but I would love to go back to the times when children came here for childcare, they played, they learned just as much as they do now, but it was all so much more natural and undocumented.

Has there every been any research that shows whether or not EYFS, LJs, planning etc etc actually improve outcomes for children?

I could track 3 researches for you...2 are very recent and contradict each other because, I believe, one is carried out by childhood experts, while the other by the Institute of Fiscal Studies

This is the EPPSE from the same people who did the EPPE a while back
Free places research: why EPPSE takes a different view | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/nursery-world/opinion/1147928/free-research-eppse-takes-view)

This is the one by the IFS which contradicts the above
BBC - Homepage (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-32118074#?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

The DfE SEED project is currently going on
SEED - Study of Early Education and Development (http://www.seed.natcen.ac.uk/professionals)

rickysmiths
31-03-2015, 05:06 PM
In this era of Tracking and monitoring it still shocks me how many children are leaving school illiterate and innumerate. It shocks me on FB and on Forums the bad English and terrible spelling. The Teaching methods are not working.

lollipop kid
02-04-2015, 06:54 PM
In this era of Tracking and monitoring it still shocks me how many children are leaving school illiterate and innumerate. It shocks me on FB and on Forums the bad English and terrible spelling. The Teaching methods are not working.

I know what you mean.

For my part, I'm having a job trying to teach my intelligent 13 year old DD that the phrase is "should have" (abbreviated to "should've") and not "should of" - which is one of my pet hates.

Another is when she says "bought" instead of "brought".

Finally, I cannot stand listening to "free" instead of "three". (My DS's primary school teacher used to use this, and he was not pleased when I heard him using it in the playground at home-time to the children only to be corrected by me. He tried to say it was because of his London accent. I then told him what I tell the two year olds I look after. "Three and Thank you are some of my favourite words, as you get to stick your tongue out. Try it!")

:D

L