PDA

View Full Version : Cost of living/houses going up but...

JCrakers
23-03-2015, 02:46 PM
I live in the midlands (ish) (65mins train ride away from London St Pancras) in a nice town. The other day the house across the road went up for sale and it was only up 1 week before it sold. I was shocked at the price it went for £325k. (4 bed detached with garage but not massive) The house next door is bigger and sold for £290k in July 2014 so in 8months houses around here have shot up.
A bigger 4 bed with a double garage last year would have sold for £320k now theres 2 on the market round the corner for £430k.

Redrow are building houses down the road and a 4 bed house is £450k. You can buy a 2 bedroom flat in a block, right across from the station for £325k (why?..I don't know)

So even though houses are rising so much and you can get to London in an hour I'm still charging £3.50ph and can't really see any option to raise them. Childminders charge between £3 and £4 (the ones charging £3 are seriously under doing it and the ones at £4 offer cooked food which I don't want to do)
Grrr.. :censored:

rickysmiths
23-03-2015, 04:42 PM
House Prices are nuts. Our house has doubles in value sice we bought it 10 years ago. I never ever thought I would own a hous eworth more than half a million that is an ex Council House as well!

Its supply and demand.

But my fees are £5.50 an hour.

FussyElmo
23-03-2015, 05:32 PM
The problem is house prices are rising - your area has become desirable to commuters.

The problem is has peoples wages increased or are they stretched because of the house prices and then the market will crash again :(