PDA

View Full Version : Home Insurance.....

Amanda70
11-03-2015, 01:58 PM
Hi, I hope somebody can give me some advice. Im in the process of registering and I understand that you have to have childminding home insurance, I have normal household insurance but don't fancy my insurance going up too much. Can you get away without having to have this or do Ofsted check to see if you are covered. Any idea how much the insurance roughly costs?

Thanks in advance :)

natlou82
11-03-2015, 02:07 PM
When I rang my old insurance company they weren't prepared to ensure my home for childminding, they rang around and got me some outrageous quotes which made me ask "do you think I'm going to be taking care of an elephant". I'm the end I went through pacey blue fin, it is tailored to our needs and very comprehensive. It costs a little more than I used to pay but I prefer the reassurance it gives :-)

rickysmiths
11-03-2015, 03:26 PM
I have never used Blu Fin (they are just an Insurance Broker) or Morton Michel, also an insurance Broker.

I have been with Churchill, Direct Line, Tesco none of whom charged extra because I was a childminder.

Some Companies will not cover Accidental Damage for Childminding but will cover you as a family. Most of us have to pay an excess if we make a claim so you have to ask yourself what kind of claims would you think you might make as a result of being a childminder that would be worth paying the excess for?

As a childminder when you do your Accounts for the year you add up all your income and before you do any other Tax calculations you take 10% off that figure, so if you earn £10,000 in the year you take £1000 off that. This 10% is an allowance for Wear and Tear. So deep cleaning of carpets, upholstery, redoing paintwork, small breakages of toys or equipment, clothes for work etc.

To put this in perspective in 20 years of childminding I have never made an accidental claim on my insurance in respect of childminding. Anything that has happened has been too small to make it worth paying the excess and then the increased premium.

Have a look on the Comparison websites and then ring the Companies and check. Don't be fooled into using Blu Fin or MM because the apparently offer better cover, they don't always, many Insurance Companies offer perfectly good cover.

Start by ringing your current provider.

What you will need to ask them to do is to make sure they put on the paperwork that you are a Childminder so it is clear that they are aware this is you occupation. The same for Car Insurance.

rickysmiths
11-03-2015, 03:36 PM
When I rang my old insurance company they weren't prepared to ensure my home for childminding, they rang around and got me some outrageous quotes which made me ask "do you think I'm going to be taking care of an elephant". I'm the end I went through pacey blue fin, it is tailored to our needs and very comprehensive. It costs a little more than I used to pay but I prefer the reassurance it gives :-)

Just out of interest which Company has Blu Fin insured you with?

I would ring them direct and get a quote when it comes to renewal.

Amanda70
11-03-2015, 04:24 PM
Thanks a lot for your advice. Is home insurance a Ofsted requirement, will they want to see proof or is it up to us whether we have the home insurance on it. Just trying to cut down costs really as I would probably never claim anyway, I've never claimed on my home insurance in 20 years. Thanks

natlou82
11-03-2015, 06:26 PM
I'm not sure tbh rickysmiths but I'll check it out as I am due for renewal. It was a nightmare to sort as I wasn't getting any joy all the companies were quoting £1000 ish!!! And that was just saying I was a childminder (nothing to do with accidental damage).

moggy
11-03-2015, 06:42 PM
Thanks a lot for your advice. Is home insurance a Ofsted requirement, will they want to see proof or is it up to us whether we have the home insurance on it. Just trying to cut down costs really as I would probably never claim anyway, I've never claimed on my home insurance in 20 years. Thanks

Your home insurance is not anything to do with Ofsted.

But you do need to inform your house insurance- even buildings cover- that you are childminding. You may have never made a claim yet but no one knows if you are going to have a fire/lightning strike/flood/water leak/storm damage etc etc if you have a mortgage then buildings insurance is a requirement, I think? If you do not inform the insurance company they might use it to avoid a pay out.

My Morton Michel home insurance (buildings and contents) is not noticeably more than before CMing, and my premium has been going down each year.

Amanda70
12-03-2015, 10:14 AM
Your home insurance is not anything to do with Ofsted.

But you do need to inform your house insurance- even buildings cover- that you are childminding. You may have never made a claim yet but no one knows if you are going to have a fire/lightning strike/flood/water leak/storm damage etc etc if you have a mortgage then buildings insurance is a requirement, I think? If you do not inform the insurance company they might use it to avoid a pay out.

My Morton Michel home insurance (buildings and contents) is not noticeably more than before CMing, and my premium has been going down each year.

Thanks Moggy

rickysmiths
12-03-2015, 07:07 PM
Ofsted may ask to see your Home and car Insurance Certificates and check that you have informed them you are a childminder which is why I ask for the fact I am a childminder to be put on the documents.

You are required as a condition of your Registration to have Public Liability Insurance. You can get this from Pacey, Morton Michel or the Pre School Learning Alliance.