PDA

View Full Version : Childcare before registration

Little Dots
23-02-2015, 04:44 PM
The ofsted guidlines state that you can look after a child for 2hrs per day without being registered.

A couple of questions, is this for a certain age and does it relate to just one child or could you go up to stated numbers as long as ecah child comes for no more than 2 hours.

Has anyone actually minded children before being registered in this way?

Not booked onto my course yet as my introduction evening isnt until april, however i have past experience of being a childminder in another council area and would like to have everything set up as it should be but maybe just do respite care, before school, after school ad hoc care etc and still follow the eyfs and run as it should, is this possible if your getting paid for it?

Tia

moggy
23-02-2015, 09:03 PM
How would you get Public Liability insurance for that?

Little Dots
24-02-2015, 08:48 AM
Dont know, something to look into. I was just wondering if anyone had done it, I know its not conventional and there are no regulations over it, so would just be like babysitting i guess but a bit more formal and in my home. Im not saying I can do it, there may be too mnay implications until I am registered. I was just wondering if anyone had and how you'd go about it.

Sammy Jo T
25-02-2015, 09:28 PM
Dont know, something to look into. I was just wondering if anyone had done it, I know its not conventional and there are no regulations over it, so would just be like babysitting i guess but a bit more formal and in my home. Im not saying I can do it, there may be too mnay implications until I am registered. I was just wondering if anyone had and how you'd go about it.

Hey Little Dot's just gate crashing the thread to say I did try to reply to your PM but it said your inbox was full and wouldn't let me send I until it had been cleared. :o

bunyip
25-02-2015, 09:57 PM
There is (or used to be) an Ofsted information document covering Need to Register or otherwise, which had all the details.

AFAIK unregistered childcare for reward for less than 2 hours per day puts you outside the regulations. So none of the regulations apply, so there are no ratios or numbers or anything else to follow. Which is one reason why it does tend to be frowned upon in some circles.

Moggy is right: you won't get insurance.

It's perfectly legal. I know a lot of parents prefer it, simply because they feel that registered childcare is ridiculously over-regulated and over-emphases 'education' over care, thus suppressing parental choice. TBH I have a high degree of sympathy for them.

Personally, I feel that offering unregistered childcare before registration can create a bit of a practical dilemma of credibility. When you are registered, how do you convince then parents of the importance of using a registered CM over using an unregistered childcarer? :huh:

Little Dots
26-02-2015, 09:39 AM
Hey Little Dot's just gate crashing the thread to say I did try to reply to your PM but it said your inbox was full and wouldn't let me send I until it had been cleared. :o

Hey sammy, yes I know, ahve cleared it now but hasnt sent back. I can only have 3 messages all together so didnt realise. Its empty now if you want to reply? x

Little Dots
26-02-2015, 09:44 AM
Good point, I would run it exactly as I would if I were registered, ive been a childminder before so know everything that is required. I guess I would only offer it as a registering childcare provider, but couldn't get insurance etc so ill just wait till i am registered. It was just a question. Im hoping to be able to offer adhoc care for when my lg and lb are at playgroup/nursery, covering those people that only require occasional care etc so still have room for a full time one too as long as im organised with times etc. Hopefully my lg's nursery will change and she can do 2 1/2 days rather than just 3 hours!

Thanks for the reply, i just wasnt sure if it could be done, if anybody did it and what opinions were x

There is (or used to be) an Ofsted information document covering Need to Register or otherwise, which had all the details.

AFAIK unregistered childcare for reward for less than 2 hours per day puts you outside the regulations. So none of the regulations apply, so there are no ratios or numbers or anything else to follow. Which is one reason why it does tend to be frowned upon in some circles.

Moggy is right: you won't get insurance.

It's perfectly legal. I know a lot of parents prefer it, simply because they feel that registered childcare is ridiculously over-regulated and over-emphases 'education' over care, thus suppressing parental choice. TBH I have a high degree of sympathy for them.

Personally, I feel that offering unregistered childcare before registration can create a bit of a practical dilemma of credibility. When you are registered, how do you convince then parents of the importance of using a registered CM over using an unregistered childcarer? :huh:

Mouse
26-02-2015, 10:03 AM
Morton Michel do insurance for childminders who are exempt from registration

https://www.*****************/Nanny/

The way to sell it to parents would be that you initially offered childcare where you were exempt from registration, then changed to being a childminder where registration was compulsory. There is a difference between offering unregistered childcare (when you would need to be registered) and offering childcare where registration is not required.

It won't let me link to the information, so google MM nanny insurance.

Lal
26-02-2015, 10:04 AM
Try MM for insurance. Their nanny insurance would cover you-

"It is also for childminders exempt from compulsory registration who are those that care for children aged over 8 or aged 0-8 for less than 2 hours a day from the carer’s own home." - See more at: https://www.*****************/Nanny/#sthash.MEtxzYFH.dpuf

Little Dots
26-02-2015, 11:07 AM
Thanks for this, I will have a look into it. I was never going to do more than 2 hours for the kids but thought it might be a way of earning money to start with and getting my name about, only thing with being new is no-one knows you. But if I can offer care like this it would definately be a start. need to look at contracts, policies etc as I would want to do it properly. Thanks again x