PDA

View Full Version : Do you allow parents flexi days and do they pay you

KateA
13-02-2015, 04:06 PM
Hi, I have potential new client who has asked for flex days where they don't bring little one and I assume hoping not to have to pay, they want to start little on off 1 day a week to gradually building up to 3 days. With kid at nursery the other 2 days, I dont know what to say to them when they raise it at meeting next week, what would you do? Also bet it would always be the day he would be with me rather than nursery day.

I am struggling for work at moment so was thinking of saying once little is with me 3 days a week and have been given plenty of notice happy for parents to have flex day just dont know if I should charge full/ half fees or say I wont charge, also how much notice should I ask for 2 weeks a month? Just bit worried they may take the biscuit and say they want flex day to get out of paying when on hols or little one sick.

Forgot to add the flex day would only be one day a month.

x

natlou82
13-02-2015, 04:53 PM
I would say no personally as I think you may regret it later. They may take the mick. If you find yourself getting busy it will annoy you if someone wants a set space every week and you can't offer it because of this child on flexi days.

watford wizz
14-02-2015, 09:16 AM
I'm not entirely clear on what these parents want? But working up to 3 days to me is "settling in" done over the first 4/6 weeks. Once the three days are established I i understand it one of these being flexi I would be confirming the two days and then either ad hoc the third if space available or if third needs to be guaranteed then work out how much I need income over the week and negotiate so space is kept for them. If they want you to provide complete flexibility then this costs in my world. I always work out the maximum income from space and then parents can see where your negotiation is starting from. If you wanted a table in a restaurant or a taxi permanently available whenever you needed it kept just for you you would have to pay that's the way I look at it.

Mouse
14-02-2015, 09:58 AM
I think you need to find out exactly what is meant by a flexi day. Would it be just one day a month they have off but don't pay for? Or one day a month when they swap to a different day? Or one extra day a month that you keep free just in case they want to use it?
I would also want a firm timescale on when they days would increase from 1 to 3 days. I've seen it happen many times where parents say they want to increase days, the childminder keeps the days free, but the increase never actually happens.

It's hard to give advice without really knowing what it is the parents are asking for.

bunyip
14-02-2015, 12:56 PM
Hi, I have potential new client who has asked for flex days where they don't bring little one and I assume hoping not to have to pay, they want to start little on off 1 day a week to gradually building up to 3 days. With kid at nursery the other 2 days, I dont know what to say to them when they raise it at meeting next week, what would you do? Also bet it would always be the day he would be with me rather than nursery day.

I am struggling for work at moment so was thinking of saying once little is with me 3 days a week and have been given plenty of notice happy for parents to have flex day just dont know if I should charge full/ half fees or say I wont charge, also how much notice should I ask for 2 weeks a month? Just bit worried they may take the biscuit and say they want flex day to get out of paying when on hols or little one sick.

Forgot to add the flex day would only be one day a month.

x

There are 2 (opposite) risks when starting out.

One is that you turn away good business because it doesn't fit your ideal. I thought I'd have a couple of full-time EY children and a bunch of schoolies. I'd never had a single full-timer and have only ever had 1-2 days pw schoolies. But, by not rejecting different types of request out of hand, I'm now pretty much full until the summer.

The other danger is the one where I suspect more CM's come a cropper. Tempting to attract your first clients by bending over backwards or agreeing to things you'll later regret, or arrangements that might limit the times/spaces you can offer to other enquirers.

I've been lucky and done quite well out of all the 'bits and pieces' work that other local CMs won't touch. But be aware that you'll get a reputation based on what you do. So, bending over backwards for The Jones Family may result in Ms Jones telling all her friends, all her chubby chums at the local gym and her entire following on Facebook how you'll doubtless bend over backwards for them too.

Never agree to be "flexible" without defining the parameters of 'flexibility' in writing. "Flexibility" always means something different to the speaker and the listener. ie. You might mean you're prepared to swap the odd day once in a while. But the moment you use the "F-word" mum hears "my CM is prepared to be permanently on-call to use as/when/if required." :( Also be clear (and I'd put this in writing too) that any flexi-days or similar might have to "be reviewed" (a polite term for "stop") if/when you get busier or have other enquiries. Otherwise you could end up turning away a h3ll of a lot of potential income just for one mum's convenience.

Chatterbox Childcare
14-02-2015, 02:07 PM
I would say yes but with a time frame. I would charge 100% for the day used and 50% per day for each day they are not using. If they want any 3 days evenutally out of 5 I would charge 3 full days and 50% for the other 2.

FloraDora
15-02-2015, 09:43 PM
Great advice Bunyip.

Personally I would not commit to flexi days ....they either send them to you or they don't, and pay for the days if they choose not to send.

I do have a LO who does extra days and I choose not to be full so I usually have a space, but will take a child to help out an extra day now and then.
I have swapped funded days too if parent needs to ...but it is asked for very rarely and it is up to me if I am able to 'be flexible'.
Some times I have said no to an extra day or a swap because the mix of ages might not be good...

shortstuff
16-02-2015, 06:42 AM
I have 3 families on flexi days. 2 let me know the hours they require around the middle of the month for the next month. They only pay for hours booked. Another pays for the same hours every month but gets some refunded if they are able to collect early or have a day at home with lo. I am also about to move another family to this 2nd system.

This works for me as its nice to be a little quieter sometimes. I also accept it wouldn't work for everyone.

Kiddleywinks
16-02-2015, 07:25 AM
Being flexible is such an emotive subject, as Bunyip says, "Flexibility always means something different to the speaker and the listener"

I like CC's solution, and indeed, have done the same when 'saving a space' regularly.

I would say yes but with a time frame. I would charge 100% for the day used and 50% per day for each day they are not using. If they want any 3 days evenutally out of 5 I would charge 3 full days and 50% for the other 2.

If I'm not free to fill the space with a potential or existing client, then it has to be paid for by the parent that wants that space saving for them 'just in case'

Fitrix
07-04-2015, 06:56 PM
I would say make SURE you are firm about rules and you could go 3 months at a time and then review. Numbers change so much in this business and you just cannot judge what your needs are from month to month. I've just been bitten by this beast. I tried to accommodate parents as I understand full time care is a huge expense and at the time I had lots of work so I agreed to mum not paying for the odd day her mother in law had her son. I had to advise her today that I cannot be unpaid for her forthcoming 9 day holiday....... And she is not happy.
Parents really don't hear what we are saying - they choose to interpret it their way.
Above all don't sell yourself short! Make sure you are more than covered - you can always give the extra hundreds of pounds you don't need to charity!?

miffy
07-04-2015, 09:55 PM
I don't understand what these parents want - is the child at nursery 3 days a week atm and they are wanting to move them to you? So "building up to 3 days a week" will be when they finish going to nursery, perhaps at the end of the notice period?

Are flexi days something their nursery offers and they are wondering if you will do the same? A nursery near me allows parents to pick and choose days - as long as the parent confirms by the middle of the month the days they want the following month then they are only charged for those days - this may be something similar?

When you meet the parents next week it's important you get a clear picture of what they want otherwise you might find yourself agreeing to something you don't want to do.
Personally I wouldn't offer flexi days - I would feel I had to do the same for all parents if I agreed to do it for one and that might end up a nightmare!
also think about what would happen if taking this one in meant you later had to turn down other work because you were holding spaces for this parent.

Miffy xx

JCrakers
08-04-2015, 07:31 AM
I would only agree to a space with an Adhoc contract when the parents understand that I may not have a place when they ring. I wouldn't do a flexible contract as only having 3 spaces is limiting.

I would fill my 3 spaces and wouldn't leave an open space for a child to come once a month but if Mum rang and said can you have Billy next Weds and I had a space I would say Yes.

If they want a 3 day week then I would charge them for 3 days. He either starts using the 3 days or just 1 but they pay for the three. Parents cannot have it anyway they want.