PDA

View Full Version : PFA & safeguarding training requirements

bunyip
13-02-2015, 11:31 AM
Can someone please confirm?

The old EYFS used to stipulate that our safeguarding training and paediatric first aid courses had to be approved by our LA.

IIUC, the current EYFS and Childcare Register makes no such requirement for the LA to approve either the safeguarding or PFA course that we do.

EYFS sections 3.25 (and associated footnote 18, on page 21) and 3.6 refer. Have I missed anything? :confused:

I'm not getting an answer from my LA's EY team as I can never get hold of the right person since they all went part time and only seem to work alternate Thursdays in July. :mad:

Simona
13-02-2015, 11:42 AM

The old EYFS used to stipulate that our safeguarding training and paediatric first aid courses had to be approved by our LA.

IIUC, the current EYFS and Childcare Register makes no such requirement for the LA to approve either the safeguarding or PFA course that we do.

EYFS sections 3.25 (and associated footnote 18, on page 21) and 3.6 refer. Have I missed anything? :confused:

I'm not getting an answer from my LA's EY team as I can never get hold of the right person since they all went part time and only seem to work alternate Thursdays in July. :mad:

You are correct Bunyip...you can do F/A with any accredited provider

For Safeguarding you can do any course of your choice ...BUT...be careful to include your LA's own Local Safeguarding Children's Board guidelines in your policy....because each LA has a different name and contact number which you need to evidence to Ofsted.
They also often have their own leaflet for you to display.

your LSCB will have their team contact number of the website...call them and let then guide you....there is always someone at the end of the phone.

bunyip
13-02-2015, 11:57 AM
Thanks, Simona. :thumbsup:

FussyElmo
13-02-2015, 11:59 AM

As always its in the reading of the eyfs

Providers must be alert to any issues for concern in the child’s life at home or elsewhere. Providers must have and implement a policy, and procedures, to safeguard children. These should be in line with the guidance and procedures of the relevant Local Safeguarding Children Board (LSCB).

How do you have your policies/procedures in line with the relevant LSCB if you don't attend their training. Do you hope the relevant people will inform you but if they don't and you have the details wrong and only attended an online or different course what would this lead to - with your grading.

What if your la doesn't provide the training anymore. its a minefield and one Im lucky that our la still updates us and provides face to face training :thumbsup:

bunyip
13-02-2015, 09:15 PM
As always its in the reading of the eyfs

Providers must be alert to any issues for concern in the child’s life at home or elsewhere. Providers must have and implement a policy, and procedures, to safeguard children. These should be in line with the guidance and procedures of the relevant Local Safeguarding Children Board (LSCB).

How do you have your policies/procedures in line with the relevant LSCB if you don't attend their training. Do you hope the relevant people will inform you but if they don't and you have the details wrong and only attended an online or different course what would this lead to - with your grading.

What if your la doesn't provide the training anymore. its a minefield and one Im lucky that our la still updates us and provides face to face training :thumbsup:

Thanks Fussy. :thumbsup:

It's a potential minefield. I've emailed Dept for Education who reply along the lines that they no longer prescribe particular courses so as to "open up the marktet to more providers" (nice to know there's a "market" in child welfare, eh? :( ) I've emailed Ofsted who did their usual of avoiding any direct question and replying with a cut/paste of vaguely relevant bits of EYFS. I'm now collecting a folder of these and just hope I can find the right printout if I ever need to challenge an inspector. :mad:

Pacey training dept think they're sure (whatever that means?) their safeguarding course meets the EYFS requirements.

Ofsted were happy with my safeguarding policy at my last inspection. I review it 2-3 times a year and each time I 'phone my LSCB and ask if there are any significant changes I need to consider in a revised policy. They don't seem to know: they're just surprised at the question.

Still trying to get hold of the right person to speak with at my LA's early years team. It's hard to trust anything my LA says any more. It's little more than a week since one of the LA numbnuts tried to tell me that the county's EY Tracker Tool and associated training course must be completed by all CMs "because it's an Ofsted requirement." I'm sick of hearing that one.

sarah707
14-02-2015, 08:55 AM
We advise cms to speak to their LA about safeguarding training because some Ofsted inspectors say online courses are not sufficient... and of course if the LA is not providing details about designated officers or local contact numbers these must be updated so by making the call cms are reminding their LAs that they need to be kept updated...

It's a tricky one now we are being abandoned though :(

Simona
14-02-2015, 09:38 AM
If anyone is confused...please refer to DfE :Working together to safeguard children 2013'
This is still current but will be changed/tweaked soon
also look at Ofsted own guidance for child protection which has been just published recently
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/ofsted-safeguarding-policy

Look at Working together ....page 50 and again page 58 is about LSCB

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/281368/Working_together_to_safeguard_children.pdf

LAs EY teams work on safeguarding under the direction of the LSCB...LSCB do not train providers directly but basically tell our EY team how we need to train...see the guidance for this.
Most LAs have the LCSB Safeguarding Policy on their website...we need to make ours reflect their guidelines...many cms devise their own but also keep their LA's in their portfolio or at least close by if needed.

LSCB are open 24 hours...we can contact them anytime...we need that number in our Safeguarding policy....

for quite a while it has been compulsory for LAs to provide the number of their 24 hours' safeguarding team'....as an example mine is called SPA (Single Point of Access) and we are provided with a leaflet to display which has been on my info wall for years and visible to the inspector.

Some LAs still provide Safeguarding training for 'free' ...some charge now....worth comparing if your LA is worth doing rather than online ones.
I would always opt for my LA's training on this issue because it is more in depth on the local procedures.

Online training is varied and has different levels...one is a lengthy course, usually for beginners ...the other a refresher....BUT....Educare do not cover what the safeguarding team does or their contact number for 152 LAs...we need to know and add to our policy

If your LA has old info on their website do call as Sarah says... and ask them to update the details....it is their duty to have updated info....their 24 hrs number must be there...there may not be the name of a designated person because the CP team is just that...a team and always on call.
We had to remind our LA to review their policy several times after it had expired...all in order now!

This LSCB document is very useful

2.1 Local Safeguarding Children Board - Role and Function (http://panlancashirescb.proceduresonline.com/chapters/p_lscb_role.html)