PDA

View Full Version : Husband ill

Helly Belly
07-02-2015, 06:03 PM
Last Sunday my husband had to have emergency surgery , before he'd gone into theatre I'd text all parents saying I wouldn't be working the Monday , he's ok now but I took week off to care for him , the reply from parents ranged from ' hope he's better soon ' to 'let us know if you need anything' one parent however ( my full timer) has had a face like thunder at school and hasn't replied to my update apologising texts , I know I don't understand the pressures she's under at home/ work but I feel really bad taking this time off as it is and I don't understand whys she's so different to all the other parents , any wise words from anyone that I could repeat to myself when I think of her would be great TIA

Lal
07-02-2015, 06:28 PM
I hope your husband is recovering well. Focus on the responses from the other parents. Maybe she doesn't know what to say- she's clearly annoyed that you had time off, but knows that being annoyed that your husband was unwell is completely unreasonable. Or she's just unreasonable......

Remember- Family first, and focus the rest of your parent's supportive comments.

Helly Belly
07-02-2015, 06:34 PM
I hope your husband is recovering well. Focus on the responses from the other parents. Maybe she doesn't know what to say- she's clearly annoyed that you had time off, but knows that being annoyed that your husband was unwell is completely unreasonable. Or she's just unreasonable...... Remember- Family first, and focus the rest of your parent's supportive comments. that's the help I needed thank you thank you

sarah707
07-02-2015, 06:58 PM
sending hugs to you and best wishes and fast recovery to your husband xx

Tulip
07-02-2015, 08:28 PM
Hope he is well on the road to recovery.
Glad you have some good parents however you can't please all the people all the time. Concentrate on the positive comments. x

blue bear
08-02-2015, 08:52 AM
Some adults can't cope with change, assume she is one of those, she will come round in time. Remember, you can't please all the people all the time but as long as you put your family first that's what matters

bunyip
08-02-2015, 10:48 AM
Hope you and DH are ok. :group hug:

Worth remembering that, in any job, if you deal with enough people, you'll always run up against the odd selfish or unpleasant one. It's not your fault. :thumbsup:

I would remind this mum of her rights.

See:-
Citizens Advice - Basic rights at work (http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/work_e/work_rights_at_work_e/basic_rights_at_work.htm#Time_off_work)

In addition, almost all employees have a right to take time off work, although not necessarily with pay, for the following:-

to participate in trade union activities
to perform ‘public duties’, for example, being a JP, local authority councillor or school governor
to care for their children. People who have worked for their employer for one year have the right to unpaid parental leave. You are entitled to 18 weeks' unpaid leave before your child is five, or if your child is disabled, before they are 18.
to attend to unexpected problems with dependants, for example, where child minding arrangements break down. A dependant includes anyone who reasonably relies on the employee

The last point is clearly relevant to your client; the penultimate point may apply also, subject to her length of service. It also shows that she'd be entitled to time off to support an illness in her family, so why the 'clucking bell' shouldn't you? :huh: She should be insisting on her rights from her employer instead of being a b4ll5ache to her CM. :mad:

Furthermore, an employee has the right not to be discriminated against for taking what they are entitled to. An employer may not enforce any contract which seeks to remove these statutory rights.

What we can’t do anything about is parents who are unwilling or “can’t afford” in their words to take unpaid leave. This is usually because people have a habit of stretching their finances to the limit: e.g. taking out the biggest possible mortgage, without considering they may ever need to take advantage of their right to unpaid leave. Somehow, they always manage to have new phones, nice holidays and regular trips to the salon too. As my old form tutor always said: planning is what you do before the event.

Helly Belly
08-02-2015, 12:03 PM
Thank you all I knew you would make me feel better and you have , I'm working tomorrow and Tuesday half term for us and really looking forward to baking , play doh and meeting our friends at the park

Helly Belly
11-02-2015, 10:33 PM
Just an update , DH on the mend , had text this pm from said parent asking if I'd received her letter previous week , I've had no letter and can only assume it's notice, still not asked about my DH , now I'm thinking she's saying she wrote letter last week to get notice period lower ( cynical I know ) . so if she did send me letter last week it was when I was right in the middle of caring for my poorly man friend !!! Some people , she must of known I couldn't work 5 days a week for 52 weeks of the year without some time off , lets see that greener grass at the nursery in the next village £60 more a week than I charge plus she never paid on time thank goodness I have a waiting list rant over and out

Rubybubbles
12-02-2015, 08:05 AM
Just an update , DH on the mend , had text this pm from said parent asking if I'd received her letter previous week , I've had no letter and can only assume it's notice, still not asked about my DH , now I'm thinking she's saying she wrote letter last week to get notice period lower ( cynical I know ) . so if she did send me letter last week it was when I was right in the middle of caring for my poorly man friend !!! Some people , she must of known I couldn't work 5 days a week for 52 weeks of the year without some time off , lets see that greener grass at the nursery in the next village £60 more a week than I charge plus she never paid on time thank goodness I have a waiting list rant over and out

She should has sent it recorded delivery then!! Glad dh is on the mend x

Mummits
12-02-2015, 06:49 PM
Perhaps it was a lovely get well message - offer to bring round homemade pies daily, look after your other mindees, do your ironing, that sort of thing!

Helly Belly
14-02-2015, 03:02 PM
Love it!!

No it was notice , very kindly emailed to me at 11pm so I stayed awake whittling till 3am as one does !

They also wondered if I wanted their bank details to give them a refund ha ha ha ha ha

I let two old enquiries know I now have space and following day hey presto an old parent that used me temporary last year wants full time 2 yr old plus schoolie

Happy days

Mouse
14-02-2015, 03:26 PM
Love it!!

No it was notice , very kindly emailed to me at 11pm so I stayed awake whittling till 3am as one does !

They also wondered if I wanted their bank details to give them a refund ha ha ha ha ha

I let two old enquiries know I now have space and following day hey presto an old parent that used me temporary last year wants full time 2 yr old plus schoolie

Happy days

Sounds like you'll be well rid of them!

Mummits
14-02-2015, 06:08 PM
That's worked out brilliantly.

Hope you are not going to let evil mum off with a penny.

Helly Belly
04-03-2015, 03:13 PM
Fast forward to end of notice period and was handed letter at school saying I'd not stuck to contract and they want £300 !!
My husband helped me write a good letter back explaining again my setting was open to them for the notice period and it was their choice not to send child etc some people

rickysmiths
04-03-2015, 04:00 PM
Just a thought did you tell Ofsted that hubby has been in hospital and you shut for a week? I would just give them the heads up in case your friendly parent decides to Complain. I would also keep a copy of los LJ.

What part of the Contract did they think you hadn't kept to? The working 52 weeks a year bit!? It does make you wonder how they would cope if similar happened, no doubt mum would expect free overnight care to help her in her difficult circumstances!

Glad hubby has recovered.

bunyip
04-03-2015, 08:35 PM
Fast forward to end of notice period and was handed letter at school saying I'd not stuck to contract and they want £300 !!
My husband helped me write a good letter back explaining again my setting was open to them for the notice period and it was their choice not to send child etc some people

Every now and then, a CM comes upon a parent they just could never get tired of punching, eh?

I recall in your OP you said, "any wise words from anyone that I could repeat to myself when I think of her would be great". I bet you could certainly think of a few things to say of her now. :rolleyes:

Have you queried back the £300 refund request to ask for a breakdown of wht it's meant to cover?

lollipop kid
04-03-2015, 08:57 PM
Every now and then, a CM comes upon a parent they just could never get tired of punching, eh?

I'm not good at violence, so I treated myself to a professional Dartboard! :laughing:

L

Helly Belly
05-03-2015, 06:55 AM
Have you queried back the £300 refund request to ask for a breakdown of wht it's meant to cover?

As the father has now got involved he said he will pay two weeks of the notice period and so the £300 is the rest of the notice period