PDA

View Full Version : Siblings after school

Merlot
01-02-2015, 12:47 PM
I charge £5/hr with a minimum of 2 hours childcare for after schoolers (inc. meals)

I have 2 siblings and parents pay £20 per night even though I have them for just under 1 hour. They will soon want a 3rd sibling to start with me. They haven't asked for discounts but what do you think I should charge? £30 for less than 1 hours childcare seems alot but then they are taking 3 spaces. They have me for 3 nights per week.

bunyip
01-02-2015, 02:02 PM
I'd stick with the standard charge and not offer a sibling discount.

I used to do variable rates for schoolies, but then I started getting 'silly' requests (eg. a mum who wanted to walk her child from her house to school and charge for 15 minutes' care.)

Sibling discounts are emotive, but I don't see parents asking for them in restaurants, clothes shops, or anywhere else except childcare settings. :huh: You can always tell mum it stops you being tempted to give her notice at any time in the future when you get 3 separate enquiries and realise you could charge them each full price. :rolleyes:

natlou82
01-02-2015, 04:08 PM
I'd stick to standard as well. I have siblings 2 nights a week just for an hr and it's stopped me having one of the babies I look after an extra day that mum asked for, so I lose a full day for 1 hr. This would annoy me a lot more if I had reduced the rate or done sibling discount.

Daisy1956
01-02-2015, 09:30 PM
I currently offer a sibling discount for one family for full days, it was a big mistake that I regret ever doing. In Sept both children will be after school only and I willnot be offering a discount, parents may not like it but i have had enough.

alex__17
01-02-2015, 09:43 PM
I charge slightly less £10 rather than 15 for a schoolie that is collected after an hour one day as I'm not cooking her a meal and her mum asked.
I wouldn't charge less though or it's not worth it.
If they've not asked they probably think it's a fair price

ziggy
02-02-2015, 08:22 AM
I think we should charge more for siblings lol. I had family of 3 at a very low rate (worked out about £2 per hour per child):blush:

They left rather unexpectedly and left me with just one other child and a drop in income. It took a few months before I could fill all 3 places.

I had a daddy ask if I did discount for his new baby, they own local coffee shop and as I said to him, he wouldnt give me discount for 2 cups of coffee so why would I give discount for 2nd child?