PDA

View Full Version : Pond

AmyWatty
11-01-2015, 03:08 PM
Hi,
I'm moving into a new house in the country which I hope to use for my new childminding business. We have discovered a beautiful rockery and pond! It seems a shame to fill it in. Would Ofsted be satisfied with a little fence around it and netting over water? This would then be included within my risk assessment for the garden. Anyone been in this situation before? Thanks, Amy

moggy
11-01-2015, 05:56 PM
I have a small pond and have a metal grid over it.

Ponds are so lethal, it only take a split second for a toddler to be in. Rare but tragically does happen.

A fence a child can not climb over and if there is a gate a lock on the gate all would help.
A net is not much use unless it is sold as being strong enough to support child's weight (and depends on how it is fitted), child can drown in just a few inches of water.

When I was registering I emailed photo of my pond to Ofsted for advise and they were happy to give their opinion by email and pre-reg inspector also looked at it and was happy.

You could also use 'constant supervision' but there is always that moment when you are all out and the phone rings or the doorbell goes or the toddler needs a wee right now and you just pop indoor for a second... and that is when something awful could happen.

tulip0803
11-01-2015, 07:36 PM
As a child that was pulled out of a garden pond I would also say a metal grid - more expensive than netting but if a child falls onto the netting they will still fall in the water and possibly get tangled. Some of the metal ones are like works of art - other are just practical.

Ps I am not anti pond due to my experience we love nothing better than pond dipping :D

blue bear
11-01-2015, 08:36 PM
What a lovely resource to have but I agree metal grid on it to stop that what if......

fran90
11-01-2015, 10:44 PM
My parents have put a metal grid over their pond for my son. We all tried it so we knew if he ever stood on it he wouldn't go in. Best thing they ever did as he's fascinated by the pond and although he knows not to touch or go in he's always trying to be as close as possible to it!

AmyWatty
12-01-2015, 10:28 PM
Thanks ladies. I'll be measuring it up this weekend.

swilcox90
13-01-2015, 08:42 AM
I was given a pointer about ponds at my pre reg training, my trainer said although you may have all the safety features in place when ofsted ask about children and ponds tell them you have put the safety features in place and why but also tell them that children will never be left alone near the pond (bit of common sense but that's what ofsted are looking for)