PDA

View Full Version : Advice on fees and charges xx very confused xx

lottiesmummy
31-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Hello all xxx

Im not reg yet, but I have a parent today came around for a chat and really wants me to look after there baby (9am to 4pm or 10am to 5pm) They want me to be flexable with the times cause of their jobs.It will be mon - friday and the baby is 7 month and I will provide homemade food.Some days I may have to have baby longer cause of there jobs.

We were talking about fees, I said £5 hour ???? is that ok ?

I live in Cheam , Surrey area in uk.

* Oneday we will go to music sessions which is £2.50
* Also in the week I will go to 3 toddler groups which will be £3.50 total
Do I ask for this money as well ??

We were chatting and she said she didnt want to have to pay the 52 weeks of the year like you do at nurseries.Im so new to all this that am I intitled to be payed when they go on hoilday ?? is it half ?? do you agree X amount of weeks hoilday you both have ?? what ablut bank hoildays ?? I need to ask if they work then ect ?? im so confused with it all :panic: Do we agree to have X weeks of unpayied ?? Do I work it out that I get payied the same each month so when I get if I dont get payed for hoildays that I still have money ??

so sorry for woffle thread !!! so confused about fees and charges and what included each xxx

thanks all xx

littletreasures
31-07-2008, 06:06 PM
Hello lottiesmummy, I live in Cheam as well.

I get the parents to charge for the music group, but I pay for toddler groups.

I also say I have 4 weeks paid holiday and may take another 2 weeks unpaid.

They have to pay me full fee if they go on holiday.

Hope this helps. What toddler groups do you go to?

tomthumb
31-07-2008, 06:15 PM
Hi
I am in Sutton!!
I do charge full fees when they go on holidays, lo is ill or if they take a day off. I don't charge when I am on holidays or when I take a day off.
Everyone is different and you need to see what works for you.
As for charges, I charge per hour but I also do a weekly full time fee to make it more in line with the nurseries around here.
Good luck!!

Elodie X

Pipsqueak
31-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Its the same mantra - your rules your business but in saying that obviously don't push yourself out the market.
Not sure what the going rate around Surrey is (way more than here I guess) and there will be several people around to give you some advice.

Welcome by the way

son77
31-07-2008, 07:45 PM
I dont live in your area so dont know if £5 per hr is right.

Parents get 2 weeks hol at half fee, any more at full fee.

My hols - no fee.

Bank hols - half fee. If they want me to work them its at double time.

Dont worry, you'll soon get the hang of it!

Good luck xx

Oh & toddler groups, wacky's etc I pay for them all.

cloud9
31-07-2008, 08:04 PM
I'm in surrey and the average is £5 per hr with outings on top. as for holidays i have 4 weeks (1 has to be taken over xmas) at full pay and the parents get 2 weeks holiday 1 week free 1 week 1/2.

But all childminders set there own and you need to also find out what others in the area are charging so you dont put yourself out of the market

Good luck

JOANNE
01-08-2008, 08:59 AM
My parents pay me full for their hols regardless of how many they take, but they don`t pay me for mine.
Its full for bank hols (i don`t work them either) If i only have termtime only children then they pay me half for out of term time IYKWIM

Any trips i charge them (after all you are taking their children out somewhere nice)

buildingblocks
01-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Just to confuse you even more

My parents pay full fee if I am available for work ( hence being paid next week for four days off while all children are on holiday as just have one child in on Friday) and nothing for my holidays. I do not charge for Bank holidays although many around here do.

my parents do not get charged extra for any groups I attend in the week but if we went further afield eg Magna if hubby was around hten they pay entrance fees for that say.

I also charge extra for breakfast and tea (more in the hope of putting them of wanting it lol) and snacks and lunch are included in fee.

yummymummy
01-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Blimey, I live in Sutton borough but not in Cheam and struggle to get £4 a hour so bite her hand off!!!!!!
BUT don't let her take you for a ride set your terms AND STICK TO THEM!!!!!
Decide your holidays, it is up to you (I charge nothing for mine but full fees for theirs) and charge for any payable outings etc etc.
Don't forget to do your policy re bank holidays, sickness, odd days off, childs sickness, parents sickness as sometimes it seems that parents agree to pay a higher fee but take the pee elsewhere.
Good luck, hope it all goes well for you. It amazes me that one end of Sutton does really well filling their vacancies and others not. Be very glad that you are not anywhere near Jancett Nurseries where it is a very different story!

Chatterbox Childcare
01-08-2008, 09:20 PM
:eek: If you can get £5.00 brilliant.

You will get loads of advice from different people but you must find your own way. I have changed my mind several times so don't worry if you don't get it right first time.

I don't charge hourly rates anymore and just stick with session rates. After school would be £15 per session, school hours £27.00, all day £38.00 and before school £5.00. I pay for toddler groups but parents pay for soft play and outings. As for holidays I get 2 weeks paid each year, with anymore no charge but if my parents take any I get paid full.

You get there, just don't let them dictate to you what you should do. Remember it is YOUR business!!

Good luck.

Debbie

miffy
01-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Have you joined the NCMA they have a good handbook that talks you through fees and conditions and negotiating a contract

It's up to you to decide what you want to charge and what your charges will cover but do make sure that whatever is agreed is written down on your contract - parents can develop very selective memories when it suits them :rolleyes:

Good luck

Miffy xx

melanieabigail2004
07-08-2008, 07:25 AM
I charge £5 and sometimes a little more.

I take 4 weeks hols a year and allow parents to have 2 weeks free and anymore holiday is then charged at 1/2 rate.

Mel

DCS
08-08-2008, 12:54 PM
hiya,

please think about charging parents full fee for their hols, otherwise you may find they always claiming 'sick', just to take advantage.

Think about taking a deposit, to be credited towards their LAST month of care.

Cecile
X

lottiesmummy
24-09-2008, 07:52 AM
hello all xx thank you for your replys xx i have poped on but i forgot my password and they gave me a number and lost it amongst my emails !

I have been talking to childminders in the area they seem to be around £5 and im happy with that xx thanks of your all your advice.Now I have to think about hoildays ect xx Im doing a course fro childminders running your own business.I have my pre reg next week and been busy with house.Im still have alot to sort out with working out all my fees xx thanks all xx you have so helped :clapping: xx

kiddiwinks
24-09-2008, 09:28 AM
hiya,

please think about charging parents full fee for their hols, otherwise you may find they always claiming 'sick', just to take advantage.

Think about taking a deposit, to be credited towards their LAST month of care.

Cecile
X

I hade this done with me, had parents round while pregnant 3 years ago, we discussed holidays they said they only take a couple each year as there own buisness, so felt a bit funny asking them to pay full. First baby that young, only 10 weeks full time 36 hours week. i decided to charge 1/4 for both mine and there holidays with no limit.as would not feel so bad being paid for nothing. (after all they did say they only take 2 weeks or so.)
Any way just after baby started they gave me hols for the year 14 weeks for that year off.:angry: They never said that family would also use there holiday to have her also. Year after it was more as had operation then had another baby.
I took the other baby on again 10 weeks old they gave me other holidays for year 10 weeks last year so lost out with two places then. Then they lowered hours 10 hours week.

I have just reviewed contract starting holiday jan 2009-Dec and have changed it for 4 weeks parent holiday 1/4 and 2 weeks me 1/4. Still losing out loads but again felt really guilty about doing that.
Parent came not happy at all putting guilt trip on me saying that she will not be losing out but nan/ grandad/ aunt/ and godmother will be, asked if i could keep it the same, even asked if i could change my holiday to when there nan's shut down holiday is so she could still have children. (which is booked and paid for next year) I stuck to my guns and said a big NO She then said that the children will then only having the allowed time off as they will not be paying me full not to have them. Dad comes now not even really speaking to me. I have given 3 months notice could have given 1 month as in contract. They would have used all holiday before end of year though as on holiday now 3 weeks oct 1 week then christmas 2 weeks.

Sorry for ranting on somone elses thread, but i learnt the hard way and still losing out big time.
You need to put your fee's with what you are happy with first time dont let parent put guilt trip on you, as it is you buisness after all. I think my parents knew how to get round me but not any more.