PDA

View Full Version : SO WHAT ARE EVERYONES PLANS FOR NEW YEARS EVE

FussyElmo
30-12-2014, 05:19 PM
Do you love it?

Or do you hate it?

Are you out celebrating or do you stay in and celebrate.

Dh is working again I can remember a year for the last 7 he hasn't worked so its just me and the kids.

We usually have a board game, dvd chocolate and food.

Don't see the new year in as dh has to be at work the next day.

So what are your plans?

fionamal
30-12-2014, 05:38 PM
I am helping organise a large Hogmany Party in the town so we will be at it until the wee small hours. Kids get to go to and Soup and Stovies are made for serving at 10pm to help soak up the booze.

Should be a good night as there are 2 bands and a disco with a lone piper for the bells.

AliceK
30-12-2014, 05:45 PM
I'm working tomorrow so will be too shattered tomorrow night to do anything much. TBH I have never seen the point of new years eve and am too old and tired now to even stay up to see it in so i'll be in bed although probably woken up by all the fireworks that go off at midnight. Boring I know lol

xxx

loocyloo
30-12-2014, 06:31 PM
:-) well ... we never bother too much about new year unless away with friends but this year I thought we ought to do something! .... so ... we are going away in the campervan :-D:-D
Just overnight to a local site and will play games, listen to music and eat lots! Still probably go to bed before new year but will be good fun! :-)

funemnx
30-12-2014, 07:11 PM
We're really excited about New Years Eve.

We always get together with two other couples and this year we're going to Lynford Hall in Suffolk. Champagne reception, afternoon tea, 5 course dinner, dancing, fireworks followed by bacon butties. The best thing is that breakfast isn't served the next day until 11.00 so a nice lie-in too. I've just noticed it's all about the food here so back on the diet next year! :laughing:

Have a fab one, whatever you do! :)

bunyip
30-12-2014, 07:15 PM
My annual rant follows:-

The rigmarole of dressing up in something flimsy to go out in icy weather that laughs at anything not the colour of sludge. Why bother? The cold, cheerless journey that deep down you already know is not worth the hassle.

Whose idea of a good time is this? Ticket prices so inflated they would make a Weimar German balk. Door queues long enough to feature as a traffic incident. The enforced jollity of a battery farm of party-goers, few of whom know each other, let alone like each other, and yet appear determined to taste your tonsils. Amateur drinkers demanding Babychams and service from underpaid, overworked staff in pubs they only set foot in once a year. The Olympic sprint to get as drunk as possible (despite the extortion for watered drinks at the bar, which are spilt as you're jostled all the way back to your table, only to find that someone's pinched your seat and thrown up in your jacket pocket.)

Then The Big Moment. And of course, the bit when everyone cheers the bongs of midnight, as if they carried any more significance than any other midnight for anybody with even the slightest grip on reality. It's only Thursday for god's sake - it doesn't mean anything.

Selfish morons sending unlicenced explosives skywards to wake up every sensible human and terrified pet on the planet. Money burnt by those who then complain about the high cost of childcare.

Why do we do this? The alcohol-marinated man who flails around for a hug before confidently laying down his nuanced judgment: "Next year cannot be any worse". (His ancestors surely predicted the same in 1065, 1913, or 1938, yet still somehow got missed when the gods of war were busy purging the gene pool.)

The two hours wait for a battered Astra masquerading as a minicab driven by some Charlie who is probably listed on the sex offenders register for all you know. Giving up and accepting volatile (but inevitably seatless) transit on the prison-on-wheels they laughingly call the New Year's Eve nightbus.

The silent totting up of how much this expedition has cost. And to what end? Running the gauntlet of still-stewed revellers on the road outside your house. The grey daylight peeping in through the curtains, stabbing needles of unwelcome light into your throbbing brain. And the Sun could be forgiven for wondering, "what are they all complaining about? I herald the day they all wanted to see: the first day of a new year! Why aren't they all here to welcome me?" The certain knowledge that a quiet night in with the radio would have been better spent. The solemn resolution that next year you will do just that.

I'm certainly not a member or supporter of the UK Intolerance Party but........Say "no" to the single European calendar. Celebrate the true and traditional New Year on Monday 14th January.

A tip. Give it all a miss. Give the pub staff a rest, then pop down your local next week, when they'll be delighted to see you and help make it worth opening the place. Cos all those staff who were forced to work in appalling conditions for Christmas and New Year are otherwise gonna be laid off by the time everyone had figured out that nothing at all really changed after the bongs went quiet and the hangovers wore off and all the rohypnol ran out....... :p

Anyway, have a good and happy one....
....whenever it starts.

blue bear
30-12-2014, 09:18 PM
At least your are not moaning Bunyip :laughing: bet you really enjoyed that rant :clapping:

childminder54
30-12-2014, 09:29 PM
Well I'm working tomorrow for a doctor till 9pm then first one arriving New Year's Day a 7.30am did not ask if I was going out & was it ok that time suppose my fault for not saying anything. Then 8.30 for another doctor. So I'm not doing anything except working Saturday and Sunday .

Maza
31-12-2014, 09:59 AM
Bunyip you just described NYE in my early 20s! When we tired of spending it in our local town we decided to give London a try for a couple of NYEs. Never again, for all the reasons you described. Now I actually live in London I could think of nothing worse! So we decided to do Edinburgh two years running, and then Barcelona. I remember one year when I was a teen I babysat and earned double the usual rate. I remember listening to all the fireworks going off and merriment in the street and feeling really jealous, imagining that everyone was having the party of their lives and of course meeting the man of their dreams. I vowed to NEVER stay in on NYE again! Now of course, I love staying in. Each time we have to go to the loo we comment on how lovely it is to not have to queue and then dodge the vomit and to have lovely loo roll! After the fireworks on TV we also comment on how lovely it is to just toddle off to our cosy bed and not have to wait for hours for a cab or tube home whilst freezing our you know whats off. We will cook a nice meal and set the table nicely and have good booze but that's it. x

FloraDora
31-12-2014, 10:22 AM
My Scottish parents made sure that every new year was fantastic - always at home, starting with a big steak pie meal for later juice soaking lining, so I sort of have to make sure I do something now....

We have fallen into a routine of indian out ( change from Christmas food) with very dear friends, back to a home for silly games whilst D H watches Jools ( he's a humbug about games) big sparkly celebration with Auld Lang syne, reminiscent chatter then a lovely stroll home, saying happy new year to everyone we meet.

Comfy clothes, not too much, but enough nice drinks, favourite friends.

Today - the last day of the year......I have inherited my mothers obsession with making sure my home is deep cleaned for the New Year to start....so all the Christmas music gifts will be played loudly ( mine was First Aid Kit) as we clean and polish........ Long soak in a bath before donning comfy glad rags and walking to our local restaurant..... Enjoy your last day of 2014 folks.

AliceK
31-12-2014, 10:25 AM
Has anyone ever heard of the old wives tale that you shouldn't do any washing on new years eve?? My mum has drummed this in to me forever, apparently if you do you wash someone out of your life. No-one I know has ever heard of this and thinks I'm mad lol.

xxx

FussyElmo
31-12-2014, 10:27 AM
Has anyone ever heard of the old wives tale that you shouldn't do any washing on new years eve?? My mum has drummed this in to me forever, apparently if you do you wash someone out of your life. No-one I know has ever heard of this and thinks I'm mad lol.

xxx

I thought it was New years Day and that you wash all your good luck away

FloraDora
31-12-2014, 10:32 AM

xxx

So .... ' washing'. What type? I don't wash clothes but I definately wash surfaces!

Reason for having fewer friends now resolved I think!!

kellib
31-12-2014, 10:33 AM
We always spend Hogmanay with family so tonight we're all off to the local beach to join lots of other families and watch some fireworks, that's if it's not raining!!

Have a good one everyone :)

The Juggler
31-12-2014, 10:35 AM
:-) well ... we never bother too much about new year unless away with friends but this year I thought we ought to do something! .... so ... we are going away in the campervan :-D:-D
Just overnight to a local site and will play games, listen to music and eat lots! Still probably go to bed before new year but will be good fun! :-)

ooh have fun loocyloo. keep warm

The Juggler
31-12-2014, 10:36 AM
hubs is scottish so always a big deal. we're off to a pub/live band with friends and leaving to get back here to see in NY with our teens. My 15 year old now has a girlfriend which is slightly scary! lol. Drinkie and soup with them then off to bed!

Maza
31-12-2014, 10:38 AM
Oh Gosh - haven't heard of the no washing clothes thing! Once I hear of a superstition though I have to abide by it 'just in case'. It drives hubby mad! Glad I did some yesterday so hopefully I can get away with it for NYE and NYD. Or, maybe you can wash someone horrible out of your life...Can you pick who you wash out?

loocyloo
31-12-2014, 10:47 AM
Oh Gosh - haven't heard of the no washing clothes thing! Once I hear of a superstition though I have to abide by it 'just in case'. It drives hubby mad! Glad I did some yesterday so hopefully I can get away with it for NYE and NYD. Or, maybe you can wash someone horrible out of your life...Can you pick who you wash out?

oh no .... I've got a load in the machine as I type!

FussyElmo
31-12-2014, 10:49 AM
oh no .... I've got a load in the machine as I type!

I was always told tomorrow as well. maybe that's what Im doing wrong laughing in the face of superstition by using the washer :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

bunyip
31-12-2014, 12:44 PM
At least your are not moaning Bunyip :laughing: bet you really enjoyed that rant :clapping:

:laughing:

Everyone else calls it "moaning".

I like to think of it as an alternative form of reflective practice.

I'm campaigning to have "miserable old g1t" recognised as a protected category within the Equality Act. Anyone wanna join.....? :D

bunyip
31-12-2014, 12:59 PM
And another thing........................ (let me tell you............ :mad:)

Having just had a run-in with the TV Licencing people, why do we have to suffer cr4p TV on the one weekday night of the year when we:-

a. Don't have to get up the next morning, and...
b. Wouldn't dare go out either, so there's nothing to do but see what's on telly.

?

The Radio Times offers a string of bekilted faux Scots (unfortunately lacking subtitles) at the end of a year in which the entire output of the BBC newsroom has had me struggling to translate an alternating sequence of Scots politicians (each desperate to sound more Scottish than the next) interspersed with Northern Irish news presenters whose accents are gradually taking on a strange Mancunian-English twist, having been forced to reside in the new Salford offices. I'm not prejudiced, but just wish they'd speak more slowly, as I'm just not capable of listening that quickly.

To cap it all, the 'highlight' appears to be the ubiquitous Jools Holland. A man who always illicits the thought "isn't he dead yet?" I mean what can you think of a man incable of spelling his own first name correctly, and whose second name somes up his musical style: rather flat and boring. :huh: The guy's irritating voice is so nasal that, if you look closely, you notice that his lips don't move whilst speaking - but his nostrils open and close in time with the words.

:p

shortstuff
31-12-2014, 01:01 PM

I'm campaigning to have "miserable old g1t" recognised as a protected category within the Equality Act. Anyone wanna join.....? :D

I would love to join please ;-)

FussyElmo
31-12-2014, 01:08 PM

Its the old I have issues with :laughing::laughing::laughing:

AliceK
31-12-2014, 01:33 PM
Oh dear, sorry. No now I come to think of it it is the no washing thing on NYD not today. I got all my washing done yesterday as well thinking I couldn't do it today. And No, I don't think you can choose who you wash out of your life lol.

xxx

FloraDora
31-12-2014, 01:47 PM
And another thing........................ (let me tell you............ :mad

To cap it all, the 'highlight' appears to be the ubiquitous Jools Holland. A man who always illicits the thought "isn't he dead yet?" I mean what can you think of a man incable of spelling his own first name correctly, and whose second name somes up his musical style: rather flat and boring. :huh: The guy's irritating voice is so nasal that, if you look closely, you notice that his lips don't move whilst speaking - but his nostrils open and close in time with the words.

:p

I love Jools Holland - the Boogie King!

( plus he promoted my son's band once after listening to them, not officially, just his opinion which gave the band a big boost - his musical opinion still goes a long way in the music world )

And he is younger than me!

FussyElmo
31-12-2014, 01:52 PM

( plus he promoted my son's band once after listening to them, not officially, just his opinion which gave the band a big boost - his musical opinion still goes a long way in the music world )

Wow!!!!

That is high praise :thumbsup:

FloraDora
31-12-2014, 02:46 PM
So all nice and clean, 2014 dirt washed away, glad the whole wash thing has been sorted, was a bit concerned as I scrubbed which friends would go this year!
Sitting with a sherry and 2015 seed catalogues, waiting for sunset as really glisteny here and think sun going down on branches glistening might make a decent Christmas card next year. So bracing myself for the cold walk to get them - perhaps I should have had a brandy!!

Maza
31-12-2014, 03:32 PM
Thank goodness the washing clothes thing is sorted - just discovered that the load I did yesterday is still sitting in the washer! Wasn't keen on leaving it in there until the 2nd (just to cover NYE and NYD). I can get it done now, yippee!

Jools Holland - Hubby and I just don't 'get' him and can't understand why many of our friends love the show so much on NYE. To be fair, neither of us have given his show more than a couple of minutes as it just doesn't seem festive enough. Ignorant of us, I know.

Hope you get a good photo FloraDora - the sunsets are just stunning at the moment aren't they?

FloraDora
31-12-2014, 04:37 PM
Thank goodness the washing clothes thing is sorted - just discovered that the load I did yesterday is still sitting in the washer! Wasn't keen on leaving it in there until the 2nd (just to cover NYE and NYD). I can get it done now, yippee!

Jools Holland - Hubby and I just don't 'get' him and can't understand why many of our friends love the show so much on NYE. To be fair, neither of us have given his show more than a couple of minutes as it just doesn't seem festive enough. Ignorant of us, I know.

Hope you get a good photo FloraDora - the sunsets are just stunning at the moment aren't they?

What you see on NYE is mainly him 'hosting' - and different bands as he is quite eclectic in his choices. Jools himself plays wonderful boogie/ jazz/ blues music, often accompanied by Ruby Turner and his jazz band - wonderful sound, especially live. But I get that his NewYear show doesn't suit everyone's taste.

Ripeberry
31-12-2014, 04:42 PM
Not going out. But having a nice meal at home ' Duck Cassoulet', with plenty of glasses of wine. Then watching two or three bond films back to back and only watching TV when the fireworks start. :D:thumbsup:

FussyElmo
31-12-2014, 05:11 PM
What you see on NYE is mainly him 'hosting' - and different bands as he is quite eclectic in his choices. Jools himself plays wonderful boogie/ jazz/ blues music, often accompanied by Ruby Turner and his jazz band - wonderful sound, especially live. But I get that his NewYear show doesn't suit everyone's taste.

My friend went to see him earlier in the year and said he was amazing :clapping::clapping:

Daisy1956
31-12-2014, 10:06 PM
Family has been and gone, young children so taken them off to bed. We are waiting for midnight to comfort poor dog who is terrified of fireworks. Around hear it seems to be a competition who can set off the loudest. TV is rubbish thank goodness for Netflix.

SYLVIA
01-01-2015, 10:44 AM
We went to the cinema, got a takeaway curry on the way home n saw the new year in with my dd2 n her boyfriend. Watched jools for a while then the fireworks on the other side.

bunyip
01-01-2015, 11:25 AM

Oh, go on.............. I'll forgive him if he helped your son.

But only cos it's Christmas. :D

Maza
01-01-2015, 02:32 PM
We went to the cinema, got a takeaway curry on the way home n saw the new year in with my dd2 n her boyfriend. Watched jools for a while then the fireworks on the other side.

Ooooh, what did you watch at the cinema?

Dragonfly
01-01-2015, 03:00 PM
Seen jools Holland live, he was very good but smaller than I thought😀 some reason thought he'd be tall. Good job this didn't effect his music😀

Maza
31-12-2019, 01:49 PM
2019 - So, what are you doing tonight?

I love looking back at old posts! Will you be spending NYE in a similar way to how you spent it in 2014/2015 (when this post started), or will you be doing something totally different?

It will just be the three of us and we'll have a little buffet and loud music (we can have LOUD music now in our new house!). Again, we will possibly put Jools Holland on for 5 minutes to see if we can get into it this year and then no doubt we'll decide that we still don't get him.

We're watching Gavin and Stacey from the beginning - a couple of episodes each evening. We didn't watch it first time round but we're loving it now. DD will probably want to stay up tonight though and so we can't watch it in front of her, so we'll probably watch a family movie instead.

Have fun everyone. x

FussyElmo
31-12-2019, 03:46 PM

Yes in exactly the same way dh is working today and tomorrow so at the minute we are playing crash team racing. I am seriously bad at it. Board games dvd and a buffet for later.

Have a good night everyone however you are celebrating.
Maza enjoy seeing the new year in your new house.

loocyloo
31-12-2019, 06:23 PM
Happy New Year!

We thought about taking the camper away, but we now have an older van, with only room for DH and I ... and it's too cold for DS & DD to stay in their tents!

.... so it's a lazy night in, watching tv and eating yet more rubbish!

Mouse
31-12-2019, 06:52 PM
We're having a quiet night in and I'm actually looking forward to it. We seem to have been so busy since the day before Christmas Eve and this is the first time we've really been able to sit and relax.
As our children are all grown up, they're off out doing their own things. DH and I will have something nice to eat and find something good to watch on TV. I will attempt to stay awake until midnight, but there are no guarantees!

I hope everyone has a lovely night, whatever you're doing.

Happy New Year to you all xx

Pixie dust
01-01-2020, 11:33 AM
Happy New Year everyone .......my two are older now so they went off to their respective parties and I was planning to be home alone as DH was away at work but then found out a good friend was going to be doing the same so she came over and we watched the fireworks on tv together, ate party nibbles and had a good ole chat putting the worlds to right :laughing: