PDA

View Full Version : would you mention this?

AliceK
13-12-2014, 11:18 PM
There's a boy at school aged 10 that my D's is kind of friends with, they sit together in class. Last week one day my D's said this boy wasn't speaking so when my D's asked him why he wasn't talking to him this boy wrote on his white board "I just want to die". Tbh when my D's told me this I was horrified that a ten year old would feel like that. I asked D's if he knew why and he said not really but something to do with his mum and dad he thinks. I felt really sad that a young boy would be thinking that type of thing. According to D's this boy can be a bit of a drama queen but even so for some reason it's playing on my mind. I don't know him or his mum so would you mention it to his teacher or not. It has just made me sad that a boy can write something like that and I'm not saying he meant it but to be feeling that sad about something is terrible.
Would you do anything??
xxxx

Tulip
13-12-2014, 11:29 PM
I think I would have to pass my worry to the teacher, the teacher may know something is going on and of course will not be able to say anything about it to you. If not the teacher will now be aware thanks to you passing it on. Hope all turns out to be ok.

clareelizabeth1
14-12-2014, 12:26 AM
Yes I would tell teacher too. There is no harm from mentioning it but there could be great harm in keeping quiet. This could be the thing that saves him.

Mouse
14-12-2014, 06:38 AM
I would speak to school about it. The chances are it'll turn out to be nothing, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Hopefully all he needs is a chance to speak to someone and you might be helping him enormously by opening up that opportunity for him.

It will also help your daughter. It is very worrying for a child to hear a friend say they want to die and by taking control you are showing her that you take her concerns seriously and will step in to deal with situations she is unable to deal with herself.

Mummits
14-12-2014, 07:18 AM
If it was your daughter who wrote it, you would want the lad's mum to say something to you or to the teacher, wouldn't you? As you don't know the mum, or what may be going on at home, I think you should have a quiet word with the teacher or maybe the SENCO if he/she is easier to get hold of during the school day.

CSR2014
14-12-2014, 07:40 PM
Oh dear, I can see why this has worried you, it would concern me greatly too!
I would have a discreet word with the child's teacher.

AliceK
14-12-2014, 08:03 PM
Thank you all.
I'm glad you don't think I am worrying for nothing. I spoke to OH about it today and he also said he would be concerned about a 10 year old writing that. So, I'll arrange to have a word with the teacher tomorrow just to make her aware.

Thanks again.

xxx

Mummits
15-12-2014, 12:47 PM
Our friends' son took his own life and they will never know why. When things like that happen, there is no longer any such thing as a throwaway remark, even from a "drama queen".