PDA

View Full Version : CHRISTMAS ADVERTS

angeldelight
13-11-2014, 09:14 PM
Well they have started

Do you have a favourite one

I really love the Sainsbury one .... it made me cry ha

What do you all think ?

Sainsbury's OFFICIAL Christmas 2014 Ad - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWF2JBb1bvM)

Angel xx

covgalxxx
13-11-2014, 09:28 PM
Oh my god it made me cry this morning, can't be watching this ad everyday..

FussyElmo
13-11-2014, 09:55 PM
I haven't seen any of them - Im feeling quite proud of myself :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Toothfairy
13-11-2014, 10:13 PM
Sainsburys is my favorite by far!

cathtee
13-11-2014, 10:14 PM
I find the Sainsbury's one very hard to watch, it is fabulously made and very thought provoking but anything that has Silent Night in I have trouble watching it as it reduces me to tears and I don't know why. I love the John Lewis one, I want a penquin :)

debh
14-11-2014, 07:18 AM
I find the Sainsbury's one very hard to watch, it is fabulously made and very thought provoking but anything that has Silent Night in I have trouble watching it as it reduces me to tears and I don't know why. I love the John Lewis one, I want a penquin :)

They are driving me mad already, they make Christmas seem so perfect and its just not like that.my husband passed away 7 years ago so that's probably why i feel like this.

miffy
14-11-2014, 07:41 AM
I haven't seen any yet! Don't know why - I watch enough TV! :laughing:

Miffy xx

AliceK
14-11-2014, 08:19 AM
Well I always look forward to the John Lewis one and loved it when I saw it earlier this week but then the other evening the Sainsburys one came on, I had to rewind it and get OH to watch it. I love it, I think that's my favourite one now this year although I can't see how they can afford to have it shown in it's entirety very often, it takes up the whole ad break.

xxx

clareelizabeth1
14-11-2014, 08:22 AM
Yes Sainsburys one has brought a tear to my eye

loocyloo
14-11-2014, 08:26 AM
I'm not sure I've seen any either!
Although we're watching a bit of milkshake as LO been off ill and it makes his return a bit gentler on us all .... and all the toy adverts! Have yet to see anything worth getting!

hectors house
14-11-2014, 08:38 AM
Watched Sainsbury's one yesterday on computer and made me cry - going to show it to mindees today as we did Remembrance Day crafts on Tuesday and then watched the CBeebies clip as told from animals point of view - thought it was a waste of time, they could have had shadows of soldiers fighting in the background as didn't give the children any insight of war - was just like watching clip from Watership Down.

rickysmiths
14-11-2014, 01:40 PM

All the Penguins are out of stock on the John Lewis web site. I got mine in the post this week. I went to my local JL who were also out of stock and they did a store search, JL Oxford Street in London had hundreds and so they rang me I paid on the phone and they were posted. That was last Sat. they are lovely.

rickysmiths
14-11-2014, 01:43 PM
The Sainbury's one got a slating on LBC last night a lot of people said it was exploiting the war to sell goods. They are selling the chocolate bar in the ad in store and all the proceeds are going to the British Legion. I think that is quite positive. I would buy them but I don't have a Sainsburys nearer than 10 miles so I don't go there.

Kirstylob
14-11-2014, 01:44 PM
Oh my god, crying like a baby!! Its a brilliant advert. X

Kirstylob
14-11-2014, 01:48 PM
The Sainbury's one got a slating on LBC last night a lot of people said it was exploiting the war to sell goods. They are selling the chocolate bar in the ad in store and all the proceeds are going to the British Legion. I think that is quite positive. I would buy them but I don't have a Sainsburys nearer than 10 miles so I don't go there.

I don't think its exploiting war to sell goods, we all buy a Poppy, what's the difference?
I have several Sainsburys around me, Rickysmiths, if you want I am happy to buy you a bar and post it to you. X

rickysmiths
16-11-2014, 12:28 AM
I don't think its exploiting war to sell goods, we all buy a Poppy, what's the difference?
I have several Sainsburys around me, Rickysmiths, if you want I am happy to buy you a bar and post it to you. X

Thank you for the thought but I think we have enough choc bought ready for Christmas already! I bought my Poppies this year and I have bought 5 Poppies from the Tower of London so have made quite a contribution this year.

I got 5 texts today to tell me I would have my Tower Poppies in 2 days. I only saw then planted in the moat last Sunday! So excited I can't wait to see them.

bunyip
16-11-2014, 11:51 AM
Personally, I find the ad rather predictably exploitative.

I'm not the least bit surprised that a huge company will happily take advantage of mass sentimentality over Christmas and mass public sentimentality for its own ends over a war which destroyed the lives of millions. :( The fact that it is well-produced and appeals to short-term public interest in the war does not excuse it in my view.

As for the charity choc-bar, well.................... I've worked in retail and am perfectly well aware these things are nothing more than loss-leader marketing ploys with 2 simple aims:

Boost the 'goodwill' effect and the 'good name' of the company as a 'brand'.
Get people into the store, where they will buy other stuff too.

This sort of thing continues to be driven by the public's strange and insecure need to feel like a part of something 'big': not unlike the Olympics, Jubilee, or the latest royal births, marriages and deaths. I do wonder how genuine the whole sentiment is. Fr'instance, I have clients who went all the way to London to see the poppy display at the Tower. All well and good: nothing at all wrong with that. Then I asked them if they'd been to the (similar, but a smaller and far less publicised) poppy/remembrance installation at our local contemporary art gallery. Their response was disturbing, not because they hadn't been, but because it was an incredulous, "well, what on Earth would we want to go there for?". It's like it doesn't count if it isn't the biggest, best and most 'in vogue' public display.

I do support the Royal British Legion, but I have never considered my donations as "buying a poppy". I don't see it in the sense of a 'commodity'. In fact I've been very unhappy about the way poppies have become "commodified" (if that is a word) of late. I've had to deal with children upset cos school didn't have enough RBL wristbands to 'sell' and so children had to 'put up with' a plain poppy instead. There is a distasteful competitive snobbery about who can have the biggest or fanciest poppy attached to their jacket/car/truck/whatever, which I do not feel is at all in keeping with the whole ethos of remembrance. :(

In fact, some people are displaying poppies without even making a donation. Several ladies at a coffee morning I attended last week said how they'd crocheted their own poppy badges, and then realised they hadn't even thought about putting something in a RBL collection box. My previous employer used to simply hand out poppies carte blanche to staff, just to make sure we were all seen to be wearing one.

Personally, I've found the whole thing really difficult over the past few years, since Tony B-liar sent the country off to more needless wars. There is a feeling that the core ethos of remembrance has changed and been politically exploited. Too much of a shift from remembering the suffering and loss, and a determination to make sure it doesn't happen again - a shift toward "supporting our boys" and supporting war. I donate, but haven't felt entirely comfortable about wearing a poppy for the last 10+ years, and I know ex-service-people who are the same.

Also, I've been very disappointed how the anniversary of WW1 has been used as a means of rolling out and repeating an awful lot of wholly inaccurate misconceptions about the war. I've been tearing out my hair at every single piece of unhistorical rubbish the children have been bringing home from school. :panic:

mama2three
17-11-2014, 07:23 PM
Staying on Bunyips soapbox for a few minutes ( budge up a bit!) - the single released to raise funds for the RBL is a disgrace , and would infact make the original songwriter turn in his grave. The green fields of France ( no mans land) has been edited so much that the whole meaning has been changed. This last verse of the original has been completely left out. It was written as an anti-war song , not a support the forces propaganda piece!

Well Will Mc Bride I cant help wonder why

Do those that lie here know why did they die

And did they believe when they answered the call

Did they really believe that this war would end war

Well the sorrow the suffering the glory the pain

The killing the dying was all done in vain

For young Willy Mc Bride it all happened again

And again,and again,and again,and again

(and steps off Bunyips box!)

bunyip
18-11-2014, 10:28 AM
True, the Beck & Stone-d version is clearly sanitised to feed a war-sentiment-hungry market, without pointing out the pointlessness of it all. Probably not a good time to mention "war" and "futility" at the same time as the West abandons Afghanistan, etc. Btw, has anyone else noticed the huge contrast between media coverage of "our" 'staged withdrawal' from somebody else's sovereign territory and the Soviet 'staged withdrawal' across the Afghan-Uzbek Bridge in 1988? You can say Marx got a lot wrong, but not the one about "history repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce." :(

Another irony is that people who went to Spain to try and stop Fascism in its tracks and possibly prevent the 2nd world war ever happening received nothing from either The Royal British Legion or the UK government. My great uncle was one, and the only thing the UK regime did was to confiscate his passport and refuse to re-issue it, even though he subsequently served in WW2 also. :mad:

Would we be going entirely off-topic to make a start on the odious Mr Geldof and his latest image-boosting trip on the gravy train? :mad:

mama2three
18-11-2014, 01:52 PM
Indeed Bunyip - cant see Geldof releasing a charity version of 'la Quinta Brigada' anytime soon!

bunyip
18-11-2014, 05:45 PM
Indeed Bunyip - cant see Geldof releasing a charity version of 'la Quinta Brigada' anytime soon!

Yes, the same guy who threw his teddy out of his pram over London's New Year fireworks circa 2001.

His botched attempt to jump on a post-millennium bandwagon meant that he missed out on a nice little earner in the region of £350,000 for one evening (annually, he had hoped) when the Greater London Authority, Transport for London, National Rail, numerous trades unions, police and emergency services, park and port authorities, and several London boroughs all judged that his 10 Alps events company had failed to balance crowd safety with his own commercial interests.

He spat his dummy about a "can't do" culture whilst the capital breathed a collective sigh of relief that they'd not be called upon to die in an ill-stewarded crush, and at the same time saved a little on the Council Tax by not being forced to "giv oss yor fooking munnay" one more time. :rolleyes:

angeldelight
19-11-2014, 10:55 PM
Oops

This was supposed to be a nice happy thread about Christmas adverts :laughing:

I think it went in the opposite direction there

By the way I hate the new band aid song grrrr

Angel xxx

smurfette
20-11-2014, 09:44 AM
Interesting article on band aid here
https://www.facebook.com/fiona.murphy.3597/posts/10152588414353090

My fave ad is the coca cola one.. I know
then Christmas is coming!

bunyip
20-11-2014, 11:07 AM
Oops

This was supposed to be a nice happy thread about Christmas adverts :laughing:

I think it went in the opposite direction there

By the way I hate the new band aid song grrrr

Angel xxx

Sorry, that's me straying off-topic whilst in 'rant mode'. :blush:

Before they went bust, there was always the feeling that Xmas began with the first showing of the seasonal Woolworths advert, together with spotting which particular B-list celebs had lowered themselves to appear in it.

Now maybe it's defined by John Lewis's cutsie Xmas offering? :huh:

Btw, has anyone seen the Babadook spoof of the John Lewis penguin ad? :D

angeldelight
20-11-2014, 11:19 PM
Sorry, that's me straying off-topic whilst in 'rant mode'. :blush:

Before they went bust, there was always the feeling that Xmas began with the first showing of the seasonal Woolworths advert, together with spotting which particular B-list celebs had lowered themselves to appear in it.

Now maybe it's defined by John Lewis's cutsie Xmas offering? :huh:

Btw, has anyone seen the Babadook spoof of the John Lewis penguin ad? :D

I loved the woolworths adverts I worked there so we used to get shown them before the general public

Like the John Lewis one and love the penguin

Angel xx

FussyElmo
21-11-2014, 08:14 AM
Not seen the john lewis advert yes I really must live in my own little bubble............................................ .................................................

Maza
21-11-2014, 10:48 AM
We only watch recorded stuff and inevitably fast forward all the adverts, but must look out for them!

Slightly off topic again, but I am getting angry about all the 'advent' calendars on the market at the moment. I was feeling proud of myself that DD hasn't realised that some advent calendars have choccy in them when I discovered to my horror that cosmetic companies are jumping on the band waggon and putting little 'gifts' inside each door. I know it's fun but it does bug me, especially when the pictures inside the doors are not even Christmas related.

bunyip
21-11-2014, 10:52 AM
Not seen the john lewis advert yes I really must live in my own little bubble............................................ .................................................

Last year it was the snowman-in-love. This year it's some disturbed child who thinks his penguin is real.

I'm going to write and ask if next year's ad could involve a fully-armed Arnie-Terminator-style android breaking into Santa's workshop and blowing away all the little pixies. Don't knock it: it won't be forgotten in a hurry. :rolleyes:

Kiddleywinks
21-11-2014, 04:08 PM
Last year it was the snowman-in-love. This year it's some disturbed child who thinks his penguin is real.

:-O

What do you mean Bunyip????

Of course the penqin is real!

how very dare you!

bunyip
21-11-2014, 06:15 PM
:-O

What do you mean Bunyip????

Of course the penqin is real!

how very dare you!

Do you see dead people too? :cool:

FloraDora
21-11-2014, 06:27 PM
We only watch recorded stuff and inevitably fast forward all the adverts, but must look out for them!

Slightly off topic again, but I am getting angry about all the 'advent' calendars on the market at the moment. I was feeling proud of myself that DD hasn't realised that some advent calendars have choccy in them when I discovered to my horror that cosmetic companies are jumping on the band waggon and putting little 'gifts' inside each door. I know it's fun but it does bug me, especially when the pictures inside the doors are not even Christmas related.

Totally agree!
I always have a nativity based advent - the only Christian based decoration as a reminder of why we celebrate Christmas. But these are becoming harder to find.
Children used to be happy with the excitement of what the picture was going to be which prompted discussions around the Christmas theme, they are not interested now if it doesn't have a chocolate or gift.....too many gifts in the world making everyone want all the time...bring back the simple things!!