PDA

View Full Version : Children's Commissioner new appointment

Simona
08-11-2014, 08:25 AM
A new Children's Commissioner is soon to be appointed as the current one steps down from her role.

The DfE have recommended their 'preferred' candidate who was interviewed by the Education Select committee this week.

The DfE preferred candidate is Anne Longfield...CEO of 4 Children...a charity that receive huge sums of funding to push govt policies...that includes CMs agencies.

The post of CC 'must' be independent and any candidate not linked to the govt...the same principle that should apply to Ofsted but we know otherwise.... do you agree?
The main concern raised is that this could be a 'done deal'...hope not!

The Select Committee is asking for our views...I have not seen it mentioned in this forum but it is spread on Twitter and LinkedIn...but I am sure those on FB will have come across this hot topic

If you are on twitter please send your views on this by using #OCCintray

Read about this here and share please ...dealine 10 November

http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/education-committee/news/pre-appointmentchildrens-commissioner/

FloraDora
08-11-2014, 08:58 AM
The DfE preferred candidate is Anne Longfield...CEO of 4 Children...a charity that receive huge sums of funding to push govt policies...that includes CMs agencies.

Simona....this really is a biased summary of the work 4 children do!

I understand where you are coming from but I have worked with this charity for over 30 years in various forms, from the latchkey kids project, kids club and more recently give me strength. They have always worked on behalf of the children in their campaigns, yes they accept gov money, amongst other funding but so they should, the government should fund their initiatives, they are sound and they have helped thousands of young people....my argument would be the government don't fund enough towards them.

I have worked with Sally Rees, and she certainly doesn't think that her role in 4children is to push govt policies.

I personally think Anne Longfield will be good, I like what she says. I have followed her in the Huffington Post amongst other media and she has a sound background in working for children and lobbying the government.

Have you got another candidate in mind ?

Simona
08-11-2014, 09:28 AM

Simona....this really is a biased summary of the work 4 children do!

I understand where you are coming from but I have worked with this charity for over 30 years in various forms, from the latchkey kids project, kids club and more recently give me strength. They have always worked on behalf of the children in their campaigns, yes they accept gov money, amongst other funding but so they should, the government should fund their initiatives, they are sound and they have helped thousands of young people....my argument would be the government don't fund enough towards them.

I have worked with Sally Rees, and she certainly doesn't think that her role in 4children is to push govt policies.

I personally think Anne Longfield will be good, I like what she says. I have followed her in the Huffington Post amongst other media and she has a sound background in working for children and lobbying the government.

Have you got another candidate in mind ?

It is indeed my personal view on this matter Flora Dora...and it appears that many share this concern on the 'independence' of this role.

I posted it here to keep cms informed
Is it biased? ....it is based on my experience of dealing with 4 Children, attending conferences and meetings with them

It is up to the Education committee to find the appropriate candidate ...I can think of a few ...yes... but that would be my choice.

I totally respect your view about this particular candidate suitability...hopefully it is reciprocated.

I am also interested in finding out who the other candidates are...my suggestion is to ask children...11 million of them should have a say on who speaks for them.

Simona
10-11-2014, 08:12 AM
There is a little storm brewing regarding the appointment and preferred choice for the CCommissioner

There is also a petition going...although today is the deadline... it is worth inputting your views if you feel strongly about the process...all views will end up in the Education Committee in tray.
I can't post the link because it will be starred ...but you will probably find it easily on FB, Linkedin and Twitter

Apologies the deadline is tomorrow

Simona
10-11-2014, 01:36 PM
Our efforts have made the news in CYPN

Petition questions independence of children's commissioner candidate | Children & Young People Now (http://www.cypnow.co.uk/cyp/news/1148039/petition-questions-independence-childrens-commissioner-candidate?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed)

Simona
11-11-2014, 07:36 AM
Uh!!!!...rather puzzling not to see any comments from this ...usually.... very vocal forum...wonder why?

Big principle at stake in this saga...hope it gets resolved to do the role itself and and the children justice.

Simona
12-11-2014, 12:00 PM
I have spotted a few familiar names on the petition...please spread the link and ask others to sign
Let's this not be another 'done deal' that goes unchallenged ...I feel it is going to be but good to raise objections and not allow the govt to think we are thick!!

Simona
15-11-2014, 09:53 AM
Thank you to all those who have viewed this thread

it was many who did ...so out of curtesy I thought I'd feedback even though I am sure you have heard that Longfield has been appointed by the Education Secretary on the recommendation of the Education Select Committee
The minister and committee went against UNICEK UK's own recommendation that the minster should not influence this appointment

The question about her suitability was raised BECAUSE of her current role of DfE 'strategic partner'...funded by the DfE to facilitate DfE policies.....that includes CMs agencies which 4 Children push as the answer to CMs
Like many other CMs I too attended the 4Children agencies presentation and we know this was something the charity had to sell regardless of Cms' opposition

It was recently reported that many CCentres are to be closed but those under 4Children continue to stay open.

Let's see what this commissioner will do for children's rights as she has now promised to push for the UNCRC to be upheld...hope she takes a look at Article 31 in particular...then looks at child poverty...homelessness, foodbanks and children in Bed and Breakfast

Thank you for your interest

FloraDora
15-11-2014, 12:06 PM
Thanks for that feedback Simona.

Certainly will be watching the developments.