PDA

View Full Version : Fire Safety

Wiggle Wiggle
02-11-2014, 05:54 PM
3.54 Providers must take reasonable steps to ensure the safety of children, staff and others on the premises in the case of fire or any other emergency, and must have an emergency evacuation procedure. Providers must have appropriate fire detection and control equipment (for example, fire alarms, smoke detectors, and fire extinguishers) which is in working order. Fire exits must be clearly identifiable, and fire doors must be free of obstruction and easily opened from the inside.

Good Evening all,

I hope you are all having a lovely weekend.

In the above taken from EYFS on Fire Safety (which appears the same in 2012) how do we as Childminders not have to have anything else other than a fire blanket and smoke detectors. Upon your graded inspection please can you share what the inspector requested to see in regards to fire detection equipment? Do you need to have fire exit signs up? I was of the opinion that a fire blanket and smoke detectors would suffice - now just wondering what inspectors look for as there is no actual distinction in the EYFS in regards to Childminders. Any information from those inspected where this arose, I would be grateful for your response.

Moreover, in regards to the fire safety officer visiting your property has anyone done this and are they willing to come to a Childminder's home?

Many thanks in advance.

loocyloo
02-11-2014, 06:07 PM
I've had fire safety officers visit in 2 different counties. usually they will visit families with children under the age of 5, and childminders fall into that bracket!

they are great at advising what and where as regards smoke alarms and evacuation proceedures.

my last visit was 3 yrs ago and in the new year I am going to ask them to pop in and check everything still ok! ( we have a local fire station, voluntary manned, but I know several of the fireman and they said they would pop in when I asked! )

Hampshire fire service have a great website for children/parents/carers.

they also do 'Susie the childminder' http://www.hantsfire.gov.uk/keeping-safe-with-susie.pdf plus these Susie the childminder (http://www3.hants.gov.uk/susiethechildminder.htm)

Wiggle Wiggle
02-11-2014, 06:13 PM
Thank you loocyloo for your great advice and the links:)

FloraDora
02-11-2014, 06:21 PM
Haven't had an inspection so can't comment on what they look for.

I have had a visit however from the fire service. I rang them and they arranged a time to come out, with the understanding that they may be called to something more important.
They came, gave me new long life smoke alarms, looked at my home, checked my extension leads and was happy that I only had a couple and they were modern, fused and switched. Looked at my fire policy and escape plan and told me that I am only 3 mins from the two fire stations in my town so if I am upstairs to get into the front bedroom if poss, put quilts at the door open the windows and stay put. Told me not to use a blanket but just get out.
They were great.

I think they will always visit if they can - but perhaps not this week given their current strike action!

Interested to hear about fire notices etc...and expectations of childminders fire safety from the Ofsted view. I have a picture of us all on a fire practise and a sign to say this is the door we used on the back of my front door that I put up and take down with my reg certificate in the hall.

moggy
02-11-2014, 06:26 PM
Fire exits are so plainly obvious in most homes signs are not needed. You can talk about how you do fire drills with children so they get to know the exits. Inspector did not ask me about fire precautions- I showed fire blanket, smoke detectors and had written fire evacuation and plan of building with exits marked, in my folder.

I think it would be a very picky inspector who would make a fuss about fire exit signs, nothing is impossible but never heard of it myself. Policy is always to 'get out and stay out' so fire fighting equipment is debatable anyway. Smoke detectors are easy to have and seen as a 'must' by most people I think.

hectors house
03-11-2014, 05:38 PM
Two young firemen in my bedroom (in uniform) made my Christmas several years ago, think it must be time I called them back out!

Maza
04-11-2014, 09:12 PM
Two young firemen in my bedroom (in uniform) made my Christmas several years ago, think it must be time I called them back out!

I had a female firefighter knock on my door when they inspected my property and was pretty gutted. Then her male colleague came and joined her and OMG, he was almost too gorgeous to be true! I have a 'thing' about firemen ...

tess1981
04-11-2014, 10:59 PM
I went to social services hq to show id and a fire engine pulled up and out jumped about 6 firemen... my niece was Disgusted because when she turned around I was getting the phone number if one.... although it was because I wanted a fire safety Inspection lol