PDA

View Full Version : Food safety certificates

mumofone
02-11-2014, 09:41 AM
If I plan to only use food supplied by parents and I will supply drinks only then will a food level 1 certificate be ok or do I need a level 2 certificate? Also, do I have to register as a food business with my local authority? Thank you!

FloraDora
02-11-2014, 12:31 PM
You do have to register-ofsted register you automatically now. My environmental officer said you have to be registered if you do any food prep- which includes opening a packet of crisps, she told me that the childminders who don't register thinking they don't need to because parents provide packed lunches are in the wrong. I think this is why ofsted automatically register you now, though they try to sell it to us as 'saving you a task'.

Not sure about food certificate, it wasn't difficult to do level 2 - which is great information to further your own knowledge.

Important for childminders is the safer food better business book:

Safer food, better business for childminders | food.gov.uk (http://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/caterers/sfbb/sfbbchildminders)

moggy
02-11-2014, 01:34 PM
You do have to register-ofsted register you automatically now. My environmental officer said you have to be registered if you do any food prep- which includes opening a packet of crisps, she told me that the childminders who don't register thinking they don't need to because parents provide packed lunches are in the wrong. I think this is why ofsted automatically register you now, though they try to sell it to us as 'saving you a task'.

Not sure about food certificate, it wasn't difficult to do level 2 - which is great information to further your own knowledge.

Important for childminders is the safer food better business book:

Safer food, better business for childminders | food.gov.uk (http://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/caterers/sfbb/sfbbchildminders)

There is no Food Safety/Hygiene qualification required by Ofsted or Food Standards Agency (as explained here: Childminders | food.gov.uk (http://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/caterers/startingup/childminders)) BUT your own LA may have a recommendation or requirement so you can call your local Environmental Health and ask for guidance.

mumofone
02-11-2014, 02:09 PM
Thanks Moggy - you've been so helpful :):):):):) x

bunyip
03-11-2014, 09:36 AM
I agree with Moggy.

Worth bearing in mind that you are a food business and 100% responsible for all food stored and served on your premises, no matter where it came from. If parents provide a packed meal they are still as much a 'supplier' as the supermarket where you buy food for the other lo's: albeit no money is changing hands. This means you need to be 100% confident that the mum will supply food which meets your own high standards of hygeine and preparation - not an easy issue to raise with parents. :p

Also you ought to know the ingredients which have gone into food sent from home, as you have to be aware of any possible allergens. This will be a requirement from December. A child may take another's food, or there may be some cross-contamination in the kitchen or at table. Some allergens can affect people even if they don't eat the foodstuff. Some people can f'rinstance have a reaction to being in the same room as someone who has eaten nuts.

k1rstie
03-11-2014, 02:16 PM
Just because a meal is sent from home, it does not make it safe, or even safe for you to let a child have.

I knew a childminder who's child was sent with 3 weeks out of date yogurts that the grandparents had brought over from India on a plane!

As has been said, cross contamination is very easy, especially with 'friendly' children sitting next together. I found a pocketful of biscuits in a pocket the other day, given by child's brother.

I think that basic food hygiene training keeps your eye on the ball, doesn't actually cost much money to do, and can be done on line quickly. Why would you not do it.

Our local authority insists we are registered, but I have never heard of anyone having any problems from them.

KateA
03-11-2014, 11:09 PM
hi with my local authority I had to register as a food business but as only use food provided by parents they won't visit me unless this changes then I have to nlet bthem know. They did advise me I need to complete the level 2 food hygiene course as you are still providing food even if from parents and if you planned on baking with the kids too.

mumofone
25-11-2014, 03:29 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. I have a level 1 certificate but will do a level 2 as well to be on the safe side :-)

CSR2014
25-11-2014, 05:06 PM
Hi,
The Inspector at my recent pre-reg inspection said that there was no requirement to have a formal qualification AS LONG AS you have the knowledge to ensure you adhere to Food Safety requirements. I have food safety certificates from my previous career in retail and had gone through the pack (Safer Food Better Business for Childminders).
I think it's a personal decision where to invest for expense in yet more training, unless your LA requires it (mine doesn't)! Make the decision based on your own level of knowledge i.e. if the pack is all new stuff to you then you probably need more training!