PDA

View Full Version : New Beginnings

Ellie2.4
26-10-2014, 08:27 PM
I have worked in Education for many years and am currently a Primary School teacher. However, I feel I have lost my work life balance and the enjoyment of working with children us being swallowed by paperwork, data and endless boxes to tick.

I want to make the move into childminding. Has anyone made a similar move? Any advice, hints, top tips and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Rick
27-10-2014, 08:25 AM
I thoroughly enjoy what I do. It can take a while to get registered and there is still paperwork to do.

tulip0803
27-10-2014, 10:08 AM
There are many teachers who have moved to childminding on the forum. In my area we have one going through the registration process now and hopes to be open at Easter, she is planning on childminding 4 days and supply teaching 1 day.

I really enjoy childminding and still do. I started when my oldest 2 children were young, one is in uni, the other in upper sixth, I had another DD whilst childminding who is now nearly 11. I worked part-time for a few years but am back to childminding full-time again and loving it. As Rick says you cannot leave the paperwork behind but hopefully you will find it less/more manageable with a smaller number of children.

You will need to do a pre-childminding course, paediatric first aid, safeguarding etc . There is some useful info in the free downloads section. There have been changes in England recently and you have the choice of being an Independent Childminder directly inspected or registering with an agency (very little info on what this will cost/involve). In Wales you need to contact your local Family Information Service at your council.

Rick
27-10-2014, 10:27 AM
Hopefully this thread will help understand the process

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/starting-childminding-pre-registration-visits/117176-registering-childminder-updated-06-2014-a.html