PDA

View Full Version : parent not paying notice period...

sarahc88
24-10-2014, 10:02 AM
So I'm finishing childminding and I gave notice 3 weeks ago and our contract states that it's 4 week's notice, so they pay me for 4 weeks and I am available for 4 weeks. This parent has 2 kids with me and has just taken them out straight away and has not paid me since I gave notice. This is annoying me no end as I can't afford to pay my bills, whereas I notice that she is off on a minibreak this weekend with the kids- no doubt paid for by her tax credits! I'm not starting at my new job until this 4 week notice has finished as I also look after another little boy who needs me for the 4 weeks- this alone however is not enough to pay the bills. Her spaces are still available and so surely she should be paying me? I know for a fact (because she told me!) that she didn't pay her last nursery for a while either.

Where do I stand? Im so worried about getting everything paid, especially as we have our own baby to look after and buy food, clothes and nappies for. :(

Mouse
24-10-2014, 10:31 AM
Have you tried contacting the parents? The way I read your post is that they left 3 weeks ago and you've only got 1 week left of the notice period. If you haven't chased them for money they probably think they don't need to pay.

shortstuff
24-10-2014, 10:32 AM
Have you contacted your insurer? They are your first port of call

Kiddleywinks
24-10-2014, 12:11 PM
When you gave notice, did you do it in written form and confirm when the last day would be, and the amount to pay by whatever date?
If yes, then I would text parent to confirm they are aware they still need to pay
If not, ooops!

Either way, as advised, contact your insurer to see what they advise you do

FussyElmo
24-10-2014, 01:29 PM
You do need to contact your insurers but in reality I cant see you getting this money very quickly.

Ring them today and follow their advice.

Simona
25-10-2014, 08:43 AM
So I'm finishing childminding and I gave notice 3 weeks ago and our contract states that it's 4 week's notice, so they pay me for 4 weeks and I am available for 4 weeks. This parent has 2 kids with me and has just taken them out straight away and has not paid me since I gave notice. This is annoying me no end as I can't afford to pay my bills, whereas I notice that she is off on a minibreak this weekend with the kids- no doubt paid for by her tax credits! I'm not starting at my new job until this 4 week notice has finished as I also look after another little boy who needs me for the 4 weeks- this alone however is not enough to pay the bills. Her spaces are still available and so surely she should be paying me? I know for a fact (because she told me!) that she didn't pay her last nursery for a while either.

Where do I stand? Im so worried about getting everything paid, especially as we have our own baby to look after and buy food, clothes and nappies for. :(

You have done everything correctly by giving notice as agreed ...if you did not take a deposit the parents have nothing to lose by just walking out

What does your contract say? is it your own or one off the shelf?

By all means contact your insurer and they will guide on how to get your money but it may take a long time if you resort to taking them to a Small Claims Court

It is important for cms to get a deposit as a 'safeguard' against parents walking out and leaving bills unpaid....it is absolutely legal to do so and deposits are refundable when appropriate notice has been given

I do hope you get this sorted...let us know

KateA
25-10-2014, 02:46 PM
You do need to contact your insurers but in reality I cant see you getting this money very quickly.

Ring them today and follow their advice.

Hi I agree get your insurance company involved they can chase for you, it took around 2 months to get my money back.
You will need to provide copies of all correspondence and contracts , mm advised me to chase up with clients first then if you don't hear anything advise them if they have not paid in full by.... I gawve them a week that they will be hearing from your insurance company to recover the debt x