PDA

View Full Version : Now registered how to get my 1st mindees

Jenny2
22-10-2014, 07:42 PM
Have been registered for almost a month and am on council and childcare websites , have a big poster in my window as I live near a station , what else can I do , parents have come round and I think it went well but they did say they were seeing another childminder. When parents have came I have interacted with them and the children , but maybe my house is too tidy or is it because I don't have young children myself as my kids are grown up now. How long did it take before you got your first mindee ???

moggy
22-10-2014, 08:06 PM
It can take months. I had one lined up before I left my previous job (I was already registered by then) but the others came gradually over the following months. A lot can be by word of mouth- tell everyone know know and anyone you meet!, go to Toddler Groups (borrow a child if you know one or go with a friend with children), hand out your business cards, talk to other childminders- get friendly and they'll pass on enquiries that they can't take on. See if there is a local CM Facebook page. Find any local CM groups/meetings, see if local Children & Family Centre have a folder of CMers for parents to look at. Cards in shop windows.

Don't worry about being too tidy! I am ultra tidy and never been short of enquiries when I need them. Be yourself- the parents have to 'click' with you and feel like you are the right one for them, no point trying to be anything other than yourself as you can't keep that up forever! Not having young children yourself is a bonus- you are not tied to a particular school/nursery-run, not tied to school runs at all even so mindees are your 100% focus- that is a selling point!

Jenny2
22-10-2014, 08:27 PM
Thank you moggy , I have met up with a lovely childminder in my Area , I will pop into the local children's centre , I did mean to but forgot . I have cards and leaflets printed .

tulip0803
23-10-2014, 12:46 PM
Hi Jenny

I have registered twice the first time I had siblings full-time waiting for my certificate to come through. The 2nd time I got the first one after 3 weeks but it was only 6 hours once a week then after a couple of months 2x days a week, then I had another start 6 hours a week and the first gave notice:panic:. Took a while to get going.

I echo all moggy said - a lot of my initial enquires have come through other childminders that couldn't take children on.

Jenny2
26-10-2014, 10:37 PM
Thank you x