PDA

View Full Version : Confused by the certificate and schedule MM have emailed me. Help please!

bigfuntime
18-10-2014, 02:47 PM
I spoke to MM on the phone yesterday who said I could arrange my PL insurance with them now (I was querying as still waiting for certificate form Ofsted but they said I can post date it).

Anyway, I've taken out the insurance, and have been emailed a childminder's schedule of PL insurance, and a certificate of employers liability insurance.

Is that the norm? No actual certificate of PL insurance, just a schedule, and why the employers liability insurance? I'm not employing anyone. Just a little confused as to why I don't have the actual certificate for the PL insurance, and I do have a certificate for something i don't need?

Thanks for any advice (as you can tell I am new to all this!)

tulip0803
18-10-2014, 03:28 PM
MM automatically include employers liability in their PLI.

It is the same as PLI but also includes PLI for employing an assistant. They do not provide just PLI, Pacey do just PLI and then the employer's liability is an added extra if you need it.

The certificate is your PLI certificate.

Hope your OFSTED certificate comes through quickly

bigfuntime
18-10-2014, 05:50 PM
Thankyou tulip for your help x do you mean the pli schedule is my certificate? As I don't have a certificate specifically for pli, only a schedule?

tulip0803
18-10-2014, 06:23 PM
Thankyou tulip for your help x do you mean the pli schedule is my certificate? As I don't have a certificate specifically for pli, only a schedule?

The certificate of employers liability is your PLI certificate.

PenR
01-11-2014, 05:01 PM
Hi
I was interested by these posts, but more on a personal note as you sound like someone who has only just gone through this so you might know the answer to my question... or somone else might know.
I have my first Ofsted Registration inspection next week and have been told that I need to have public liability insurance in place before the visit. I looked at Morton Michel online and it says you need to be registered before you can get insurance, so I feel like there is an egg and chicken situation! How do I get registered if I don't have insurance and how do I get insurance if I am not registered???? Confused by the order of things. Did Morton Michel let you pay for insurance but with some kind of holding for the date it would come into play or something? Don't want the inspector turning up and refusing me for this if it is just that I am not understanding something. Also, how long does it take to get proof of the insurance?

I am sure this has been answered elsewhere, so sorry for any repetition, I couldn't find the answer.

Thanks

Kiddleywinks
02-11-2014, 06:11 PM
Hi
I was interested by these posts, but more on a personal note as you sound like someone who has only just gone through this so you might know the answer to my question... or somone else might know.
I have my first Ofsted Registration inspection next week and have been told that I need to have public liability insurance in place before the visit.

I looked at Morton Michel online and it says you need to be registered before you can get insurance, so I feel like there is an egg and chicken situation! How do I get registered if I don't have insurance and how do I get insurance if I am not registered???? Confused by the order of things. Did Morton Michel let you pay for insurance but with some kind of holding for the date it would come into play or something? Don't want the inspector turning up and refusing me for this if it is just that I am not understanding something. Also, how long does it take to get proof of the insurance?

I am sure this has been answered elsewhere, so sorry for any repetition, I couldn't find the answer.

Thanks

Who was it that told you this?
You cannot get childminder insurance until you are registered so whoever said you must have insurance first is confused. You might need to know WHERE to get it, but not actually have it as at the moment you are not a childminder until Ofsted approve you.
Once approved, it can take up to 21 days for your certificate to arrive, you aren't allowed to mind children until you have your certificate incase at the 11th hour your approval gets rejected - this can happen (it did to me)
Once you have your certificate you can get insurance.
I only have MM experience, and they emailed my confirmation within the hour of receiving the payment, so I printed it off straight away.
As soon as you have paid, you're insured, unless you state an alternative date for your insurance to start.

HTH :thumbsup:

Bigfuntime - yes the schedule is your certificate, the one with the date of expiry on it ;)

Lal
02-11-2014, 07:12 PM
I had it in place with a start date after my registration visit, on the basis I would contact MM if I needed to cancel. This was in september and I was under the impression this was the norm.

MM were happy to do this over the phone.

mum67
02-11-2014, 09:15 PM
Kiddleywinks I think this may be coming from the DO's again as I remember once I was registered mine told me a lot were not being passed if insurance wasn't in place as apparently Ofsted inspectors want to see that you are ready to go the next day. On our course we were told you cannot start minding until your registration certificate from Ofsted comes and that insurers won't insure you until registered I challenged her on this as I do so often on what she says as it never seems correct.
Her reply was "Yes that's what is happening" but no expansion on how that can be or whether our LA is challenging Ofsted on this either.

From what I remember I could get a quote but that was it so I would just have this in place or if possible ask the insurer you are looking to go with to send an email stating whether or not they insure before pre registration.

Good luck with everything