PDA

View Full Version : First Aid for all....a petition by Millie's Trust

Simona
16-10-2014, 08:19 PM
Worth signing this one if you can spare a moment

The DfE has responded but in wishy washy way....EYFS requires one person to be First Aid trained but why not everyone?

Millie's Trust campaigns to train ALL nursery nurses in Paediatric First Aid - e-petitions (http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/58166)

miffy
16-10-2014, 09:22 PM
Have signed it Simona and emailed the link to a few friends and colleagues.

Hope it gets past the 100,000 signature mark so the Government look at it again.

Miffy xx

tashaleee
16-10-2014, 09:28 PM
signed :-)

Mouse
17-10-2014, 08:00 AM
I've have already signed it, but it's good to see it doing to so well.

My son's gf works in a nursery and has no first aid training at all. When I said she ought to go on the course, she said she didn't want to in case she ever got called on in an emergency :panic: I do think all nursery staff should have some level of training, even if it's not the full 12 hour course.

Simona
17-10-2014, 08:34 AM
Have signed it Simona and emailed the link to a few friends and colleagues.

Hope it gets past the 100,000 signature mark so the Government look at it again.

Miffy xx

Thank you for sharing Miffy...the petition is now close to 100,000.

Everyone please share if you are on FB
A few signatures from this forum would take the petition well over the 100,000 mark :thumbsup:
if all shared on their social media we would hit the mark very quickly

Mouse...some nurseries and preschools adhere very much to EYFS (3.25) but others do train all their practitioners
It 'may' be the cost of F/Aid is the reason? but...in view of recent accidents that have led to children dying...I think training everyone is now the best route.

Simona
18-10-2014, 10:42 PM
good news ....the petition has now over 100,000 signatures and gets debated in Parliament :thumbsup:

leese
19-10-2014, 07:37 AM
I have just signed! I can't believe that not all nursery workers are first aid trained!! That's shocking!!!!! Good luck with the petition x

rickysmiths
20-10-2014, 02:43 AM
I have been doing my First Aid over the last two weekends. The subject of all Nursery workers being trained did come up as there were a few on the course. They said it was fine having one only they were always available! We the incident with the child chocking on a jelly cube and no one noticing one of the girls said 'Well the child didn't scream!' It beggars belief. It surprises me that there aren't more incidents at Nurseries to be honest.

Simona
20-10-2014, 02:06 PM
Watch this video by Millie's parents who started the petition

Hope all goes well and we get a change in requirement

https://audioboom.com/boos/2578110-stockport-couple-epetition-success?utm_campaign=detailpage&utm_content=retweet&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

loocyloo
20-10-2014, 09:52 PM
I was talking to mum the other day , whose child attends a day nursery, or should I say 'attended' a day nursery. she was horrified when she realised that not every staff member was first aid trained, and when she spoke to the manager was told 'oh its fine, there is always a first aider somewhere in the building to put a plaster on' !!!

Simona
21-10-2014, 08:19 AM
I was talking to mum the other day , whose child attends a day nursery, or should I say 'attended' a day nursery. she was horrified when she realised that not every staff member was first aid trained, and when she spoke to the manager was told 'oh its fine, there is always a first aider somewhere in the building to put a plaster on' !!!

Yes ...appalling is it not?
Some nurseries already train ALL staff but most follow the EYFS to the letter

Most nurseries will have at least one person present at all times...there are usually 2 trained staff and the notice boards will point to those who have had that training but...considering the way staff are deployed in a nursery that is not good enough

This maybe the opportunity to ensure all staff are trained as accidents and death have occurred in nurseries.
Cost is possibly a factor for not training everyone and now F/Aid is not free in all LAs the matter needs to be addressed with urgency

Lets see what the MPs do when they debate in the House of Commons