PDA

View Full Version : My Pre reg visit

bigfuntime
13-10-2014, 03:18 PM
I had my pre registration visit last week, and thought I'd write up how it went for anyone who wants some information.

It was not the experience I was expecting to be honest, especially after reading about everyone who had 'lovely' ofsted people do theres! Don't get me wrong, she wasn't awful, but she was quite stern!

I was asked every question on the 'preparing for your pre reg visit' document, and the visit lasted 3 and a half hours.

The first thing she said, which I wasn't prepared for, was that although I am allowed to look at my notes if I really need to, she will write down every time I do look at them, and if I need to look at them in order to answer every question then it won't look good. This got me off to a rather worried and self conscious start, as I had prepared answers for each question and expected to be able to refer to them to jog my memory (as it says you can do on the front of the 'preparing for your visit' document).

I managed to answer most safeguarding questions easily without needing to look at my notes or policies much, but once it got to the section on the EYFS I had expected to be able to look at my notes and Development Matters for the part that she wanted me to suggest activities for each of the areas of Learning and Development. So I did use Development Matters to come up with some suggestions, and others I could remember or think up on the spot. I explained that I am the type of person who learns much more easily once putting things into practice, and therefore I know that once I am actually working then I'll pick it up quickly. She gave a small nod of the head when I said this!

Another thing i wasn't expecting was that any time I was unsure or didn't know something, she did not actually tell me the answer. It felt like an exam more than an opportunity for me to make sure I knew exactly what I was doing before I start out on my career! I appreciate it is important that they test me and make sure I am suitable, but I did think that there could have been some opportunity for discussion or a chat at the end at least.

Anyway, having said all that, I am being recommended for approval, and I should be able to start minding in about 2 weeks once the certificate arrives in the post.

Oh and the Safeguarding section was 3/4 of it and EYFS only a 1/4.

Hope this helps someone.

CSR2014
13-10-2014, 07:46 PM
Congratulations on your success!!
Thanks for the feedback, waiting for my date so very interested to hear how others get on!!
Good luck in your new career.

TabbyTuTu
14-10-2014, 09:23 AM
Eek sounds scary!!

LCourt
14-10-2014, 01:54 PM
I had my pre registration visit last week, and thought I'd write up how it went for anyone who wants some information.

It was not the experience I was expecting to be honest, especially after reading about everyone who had 'lovely' ofsted people do theres! Don't get me wrong, she wasn't awful, but she was quite stern!

I was asked every question on the 'preparing for your pre reg visit' document, and the visit lasted 3 and a half hours.

The first thing she said, which I wasn't prepared for, was that although I am allowed to look at my notes if I really need to, she will write down every time I do look at them, and if I need to look at them in order to answer every question then it won't look good. This got me off to a rather worried and self conscious start, as I had prepared answers for each question and expected to be able to refer to them to jog my memory (as it says you can do on the front of the 'preparing for your visit' document).

I managed to answer most safeguarding questions easily without needing to look at my notes or policies much, but once it got to the section on the EYFS I had expected to be able to look at my notes and Development Matters for the part that she wanted me to suggest activities for each of the areas of Learning and Development. So I did use Development Matters to come up with some suggestions, and others I could remember or think up on the spot. I explained that I am the type of person who learns much more easily once putting things into practice, and therefore I know that once I am actually working then I'll pick it up quickly. She gave a small nod of the head when I said this!

Another thing i wasn't expecting was that any time I was unsure or didn't know something, she did not actually tell me the answer. It felt like an exam more than an opportunity for me to make sure I knew exactly what I was doing before I start out on my career! I appreciate it is important that they test me and make sure I am suitable, but I did think that there could have been some opportunity for discussion or a chat at the end at least.

Anyway, having said all that, I am being recommended for approval, and I should be able to start minding in about 2 weeks once the certificate arrives in the post.

Oh and the Safeguarding section was 3/4 of it and EYFS only a 1/4.

Hope this helps someone.

Hi Congratulations on becoming a child minder! Not sure if you or anyone else can help me. I am currently on maternity leave & was due to go back to work Jan 2015 but I am being made redundant end of Jan 15. I have decided I would like to become a child minder having worked with children before. The next briefing session in my area is in January. Can you or anyone on here give me any advice on what I should do to speed things up to qualify, such as what courses could I do now whilst on maternity leave? So that when I go on the first briefing meeting in January I am a step ahead to speed things up with registering and fully qualifying. Thank you x

Rick
14-10-2014, 02:18 PM
Hi Congratulations on becoming a child minder! Not sure if you or anyone else can help me. I am currently on maternity leave & was due to go back to work Jan 2015 but I am being made redundant end of Jan 15. I have decided I would like to become a child minder having worked with children before. The next briefing session in my area is in January. Can you or anyone on here give me any advice on what I should do to speed things up to qualify, such as what courses could I do now whilst on maternity leave? So that when I go on the first briefing meeting in January I am a step ahead to speed things up with registering and fully qualifying. Thank you x

Unfortunately there is no fast track route to becoming a childminder. You will need to do a local authority approved course. Check with them but it is likely you will need to wait until January to get on the briefing session, then main course. You could start putting together some risk assessments for your home and policies but may not be possible to complete them until you've done this in the course. It might be possible to start applying to Ofsted during your course but not before as the course is a requirement of your registration

LCourt
14-10-2014, 02:42 PM
Unfortunately there is no fast track route to becoming a childminder. You will need to do a local authority approved course. Check with them but it is likely you will need to wait until January to get on the briefing session, then main course. You could start putting together some risk assessments for your home and policies but may not be possible to complete them until you've done this in the course. It might be possible to start applying to Ofsted during your course but not before as the course is a requirement of your registration

Thanks Rick, so would there be no point in looking into doing a paediatric first aid course / food hygiene course / safe guarding children course? Is there anything online or books I could study before the first briefing so I can feel confident and prepared. It seems a shame if I have to wait 4 months to even start the initial process. Thank you

Rick
14-10-2014, 03:53 PM
Thanks Rick, so would there be no point in looking into doing a paediatric first aid course / food hygiene course / safe guarding children course? Is there anything online or books I could study before the first briefing so I can feel confident and prepared. It seems a shame if I have to wait 4 months to even start the initial process. Thank you

It's probably not worth doing the courses as they expire after three years so you might waste best part of a year of them by the time you have your certificate. I'm sure you can find lots of info on the internet or ask us here, not sure about relevant books.

Best ask your LA what course they expect you to take. If it's an online one you might be able to start earlier.

bigfuntime
14-10-2014, 06:35 PM

The only thing I can think of is if you do your paediatric first aid course, but like Rick said, you will waste part of it while waiting to complete your other courses. Saying that though I got my first aid course done in July and depending on when I get my first mindee I could have lost 6 months on that.

It would probably be useful to get a copy of Development Matters and the Framework to start getting to grips with the content of the course and what you will be doing once you are registered. That and market research- how much can you earn in your area, should you charge for meals seperatly etc etc.

You can only do a CYPOP5 course that has been approved by your local authority (you'll get details of this on you pre reg briefing meeting), but if the option is available I did mine through Trio childcare. They give you three months I think to do the course, but I managed it in two weeks (all online) and got my results the day after I submitted it.

Bundle
15-10-2014, 11:51 PM

I would make sure you (and anyone over 16 in your house) apply for your DBS in plenty of time. You can't apply to Ofsted until you have the DBS back - it may be quick if you are lucky, but mine took well over two months. It was annoying waiting for it, and you have to sign up for updates now anyway, so it will stay current, right?
Just a thought.
Best of luck with it:)

johnworf
16-10-2014, 12:30 PM
This sounds exactly like my pre-inspection. Emphasis on safeguarding and not very much on development.

I was not encouraged to look at my notes either and she said she would make a note that I had looked at my notes if I did. So I didn't.

She was here for 4 hours and it was hard going.

Glad it wasn't just me that had it tough!

KateA
16-10-2014, 04:39 PM
Poor you sounds horrible, congrats on success x