PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else not like Xmas?

JCrakers
09-10-2014, 12:05 PM
:D Over the years I've disliked Christmas more and more. When my children were little it was magical. Santa came and it was so exciting to see their little faces. We were excited about putting the decorations up

But for the past 2yrs as they have got older its got more like

Put up the decorations up but start to notice the dust collecting and put them away just after boxing day
drag eldest teenager (15) out of bed to open presents on xmas morning
dd (12) makes a list in September of all things she WANTS and it sits on the fridge with me crossing things off every time she 'blows up with one of her major tantrums'
drag 2 bored teenagers to grandparents for the day where they sit with faces as long as next week. Heating is on like a tropical rainforest ( I half expect to see parrots and exotic birds coming in every time we open the front door to get some air)
Sleeping at my parents house with not enough beds so alcohol fueled dh slept on the floor snoring all night
Trying to think about family presents...I hate shopping and its so busy (the men are so hard to buy for) If I shop too early I change my mind and If I shop too late I panic buy.

Its all just so much hard work. All the stress for just 1 day. :rolleyes: Last Xmas was so dull that we've booked to go skiing with friends over the Xmas week and I couldn't care if we have an xmas day or not...lol

We usually go away at new year but I can't stand to be sat with the in-laws for a whole day with the teenage kids

Is it just me that's a Grinch? :D

smurfette
09-10-2014, 12:18 PM
Oh sounds like a change of routine would be good! I haven't got to that stage yet as my youngest two still believe or at least haven't said they don't (to be fair neither has my 13 year old!) so it's still magical and so I love it:, but I do not love the family politics .. Our problem is our family all live close and all want to see the kids (who just want to sit at home and eat and watch movies and play with their new toys!) so we used to spend it rushing around like eejits from
Church to one family and another.. Til one year I had a meltdown as I had forgot to put on the turkey! ( a crown so not so bad but still took an hour and a half to cook and put all our plans behind!)

Swore I wasn't doing it anymore and family could come to us.. We also have had problems with who to have for dinner as we had my mum and dad the year before he died cos we knew it was going to be his last then my mum the following year cos she was alone, then again the year after cos no one else invited her (families eh?!) so last year we had Dhs parents instead and the year before that intended to have no one and have it just us but then one of our friends had just broken up with her boyfriend and was alone so she came to us. I get fed up organising all that for the peace!

Could your parents and In laws come to you,: maybe even together if you can bear it so that there is more of an atmosphere and you aren't dragging your kids everywhere ? Skiing sounds fab wouldn't mind escaping then either!!

loocyloo
09-10-2014, 12:54 PM
I love Christmas but I don't love the family politics!
We used to constantly have to juggle who went where and when and how often! Once we'd had children and a couple of Christmas's spent with small children being ignored/bored I had a little tantrum and said we'd have Christmas at home! Happy to have others but I wasn't budging! It worked to a certain extent.
Then we moved 200 miles ... we've had 2 WONDERFUL Christmas s where we saw no family and it was so calm and stress free. And one Christmas where we had a lovely Christmas day with the one bit of family who, like us, don't play the politics game and then a few days of having to see everyone with mil counting up how many times we saw xyz and total hours spent with abc! Not fun. Dh is going on about having to see family ... I'm leaving it to him to arrange!

Mouse
09-10-2014, 01:13 PM
I love Christmas, but I don't do anything I don't want to! I certainly wouldn't spend it with parents or in laws if I didn't want to.

Now that my children are getting older, have partners and a couple have left home things have changed. It's not the same as when they were little and we had all the excitement of santa, but it's a good difference. It's lovely to get as many of the children here over the christmas period as we can, although we don't often get everyone together on christmas day.

For me Christmas is all about my family - my husband, children & their partners. I just can't wait till they start adding grandchildren into the mix :D

hectors house
09-10-2014, 01:15 PM
I just begrudge how many hours of my time it spends to think of what to buy people, buy and wrap it, clean the house, stand in queues to buy too much food, cook the food, open a load of presents (some of which will be in the charity shop by new year or I will be politely asking for receipts so I can exchange), try to please everyone else, find the programmes I wanted recorded have all clashed with something someone else programmed in - and then have to go through the whole charade 5 days later when it's my birthday! Baa Humbug - I don't like Xmas and I don't like having a Xmas birthday.

We did go ski-ing 10 years ago on Boxing Day, so we didn't buy in too much food, didn't see different members of family for days and days and were away for my birthday and new year - it's just soooooo expensive to go at that time though.

toddlers896
09-10-2014, 01:28 PM
Ime with you on this one. Ime not a fan of Christmas either. Theres no kids in our household and my husband always says to me I can have what I want when I want so Why spend double money on a present at Christmas when we can go out and buy it anytime. I buy for my nieces and nephews but cant really be bothered with it all. I never quite understand either why the supermarkets run out of food and everybody goes mad for one day. Unless I go to Scotland to see my family our xmas day is just like any other day except we take the mother in law to church - something I wouldn't normally do!

JCrakers
09-10-2014, 01:32 PM
We've spent many a year trudging round trying to fit everyone in. For years it would be getting up at the crack of dawn, opening presents, getting showered, dressed and out the house for 10am. Driving an hour up the motorway to see my parents and nan, eating dinner (no alcohol as I had to drive) then round to see my Dad who lives 5mins round the corner from my mums.
Then onto in-laws who are another 30mins drive away for tea.

Finally sitting down at 7ish with a well deserved glass of wine. By the time the children opened pressies at this time of day they were fed up of presents...lol

Ski-ing isn't costing too much actually...its very expensive in Feb Half term. It's probably costing around £1500 (which sounds a lot) but that's for return flights for 4, ski's, lift passes and accommodation. We book it all separately so we never spend the amount if you book through an agent.
We usually go at New Year and we wont be going at Easter like we sometimes do. I'd pay double that to get away :laughing:

tess1981
09-10-2014, 01:40 PM
I love Christmas.. my children are older but I still love to see their faces Christmas morning when they open their presents. I always try to have a surprise. This year they are getting flights to London harry potter world and a few other attractions. We don't go until easter buy they get letters on Christmas morning to day it all booked... I go to my sisters for dinner otherwise it me and the 2 children. Only . my second Christmas with the boyfriend bit he does stuff with his mother. His father died just before Christmas last year. Children usually go to theirs dad's Christmas night. I love everything about it... The hustle and bustle the dinner the children's faces wrapping presents decorations baking cookies Christmas Markets mulled wine.... cam go on all day

shortstuff
09-10-2014, 10:21 PM
Im a negative person when it comes to xmas. I put on an act for DS but if it weren't for him i would just treat it as a normal day.

Mine as a child were so awful its hard to feel positive and glowy. Bah humbug lol.

But i have signed up for secret santa as it might help my spirits lift lol xx

Koala
10-10-2014, 06:45 AM
We go away for christmas as I live with scrooge :D We have done for several years now. Skiing on the piste on christmas day is magical especially with a flutter of snow. :D :D :D

But I insist on getting my 20 year old christmas tree out in November decorate it with my youngest son and all the trimmings I have collected over the years, things my children have made, nothing matches, many things are old and dog eared, I insist on tacky multi coloured flashing lights and I LOVE IT. I wrap presents up and put under the tree - it makes me feel warm inside.

I must admit going away is good, i DON'T have to put up with rude old family members making snide comments about the dinner that I have prepared FOR THEM, for hours and planned for days and spent a fortune on, I don't have to spring clean for visitors, I don't have to have a permanent smile whilst gritting my teeth with frustration, anxiety running around pleasing everyone else who could never be pleased and don't appreciate the effort - they can all go stick it up their :censored: as far as i am concerned from now on, it's fantastic.
CHRISTMAS IS FUN. Make it your own and do what makes you happy.

loocyloo
10-10-2014, 11:45 AM
We go away for christmas as I live with scrooge :D We have done for several years now. Skiing on the piste on christmas day is magical especially with a flutter of snow. :D :D :D

But I insist on getting my 20 year old christmas tree out in November decorate it with my youngest son and all the trimmings I have collected over the years, things my children have made, nothing matches, many things are old and dog eared, I insist on tacky multi coloured flashing lights and I LOVE IT. I wrap presents up and put under the tree - it makes me feel warm inside.

I must admit going away is good, i DON'T have to put up with rude old family members making snide comments about the dinner that I have prepared FOR THEM, for hours and planned for days and spent a fortune on, I don't have to spring clean for visitors, I don't have to have a permanent smile whilst gritting my teeth with frustration, anxiety running around pleasing everyone else who could never be pleased and don't appreciate the effort - they can all go stick it up their :censored: as far as i am concerned from now on, it's fantastic.
CHRISTMAS IS FUN. Make it your own and do what makes you happy.

I can't 'like' on my phone ... But I like lots!
I do want to do what I/we want!
I get though that it's hard for some parents to not see their children at Christmas no matter how old the children are.
My mum would like to see us more, but understands ...mil ...well ... Let's not go there!

bunyip
10-10-2014, 05:30 PM
I agree with JCrackers, although there's a certain irony with hating the birthday of someone whose initials you share. :rolleyes:

I hate Christmas so much that I'm surprised nobody mentioned me yet.

I hate Christmas so much, this goes beyond 'rant alert' and into "don't even get me started" territory.

An international celebration of guilt, debt, selfishness, sentimentality-masquerading-as-love, materialism, drink-driving, etc. etc. etc. and, above all, disappointment.

Yes, I'm a Grinch, as my DD calls me every year for weeks on end. And by about midday every 25 December, after an orgy of unwrapping and someone declaring the whole thing is ruined just cos 1 Brussels sprout is burned, she admits I'm right after all - until next year.

I guess my problem is that, having lived and worked in places where it doesn't take much surface-scratching to witness the nasty, ugly underbelly of Christmas, I find all the cheap tinsel and rose-tinted-specs don't work their 'magic' on me any longer.

FussyElmo
10-10-2014, 05:52 PM
[QUOTE=bunyip;1380861]I agree with JCrackers, although there's a certain irony with hating the birthday of someone whose initials you share. :rolleyes:

I hate Christmas so much that I'm surprised nobody mentioned me yet.

I hate Christmas so much, this goes beyond 'rant alert' and into "don't even get me started" territory.

An international celebration of guilt, debt, selfishness, sentimentality-masquerading-as-love, materialism, drink-driving, etc. etc. etc. and, above all, disappointment.

Yes, I'm a Grinch, as my DD calls me every year for weeks on end. And by about midday every 25 December, after an orgy of unwrapping and someone declaring the whole thing is ruined just cos 1 Brussels sprout is burned, she admits I'm right after all - until next year.

I guess my problem is that, having lived and worked in places where it doesn't take much surface-scratching to witness the nasty, ugly underbelly of Christmas, I find all the cheap tinsel and rose-tinted-specs don't work their 'magic' on me any longer.[/QUOTE

Bunyip does his own version of the Elf on the Shelf.

However I would recommend not buying it :laughing::laughing:

Happy Bunny
10-10-2014, 10:00 PM
Bunyip does his own version of the Elf on the Shelf.

However I would recommend not buying it

LOL LOL LOL

bunyip
11-10-2014, 07:35 PM
I've been running trials of a "Gnome on the Throne", but he keeps blocking the toilet. :p

:D

smurfette
13-10-2014, 07:46 AM
I've been running trials of a "Gnome on the Throne", but he keeps blocking the toilet. :p :D.

lol bunyip!!!

Dragonfly
13-10-2014, 08:00 PM
All my children have grown up now, and I still love christmas :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Never get in debt, and don't get stressed just enjoy the run up to it, all that excitement. Most people seem happier around christmas time. Well obviously not the few on here :blush:

Do you like Easter? I don't like that :(

shortstuff
13-10-2014, 08:15 PM
All my children have grown up now, and I still love christmas :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Never get in debt, and don't get stressed just enjoy the run up to it, all that excitement. Most people seem happier around christmas time. Well obviously not the few on here :blush:

Do you like Easter? I don't like that :(

Haha its ok im sour faced all year round not just at xmas ;-)

Dragonfly
13-10-2014, 08:19 PM
Thats okay then short stuff :thumbsup:

shortstuff
13-10-2014, 08:21 PM
Thats okay then short stuff :thumbsup:

Thought it might be lol xx

JCrakers
14-10-2014, 10:43 AM
Everyone's cheered me up especially Bunyip as usual...:thumbsup:

We don't really do anything at Easter really other than enjoy the Good Friday off work. We're not religious so Easter isn't something that we really celebrate.

I'm really looking forward to not running around this Xmas and I do have 2 weeks off work so I cant grumble too much :D

scottishlass
14-10-2014, 11:21 PM
My kids are 8 and 12, my youngest still believes but I know to make the most of that as won't last long!

Last year was the first year we put our foot down and suited ourself and stayed at home, my hubby and eldest were keen to chill and home and the wee one and I were happy to go along with this. We normally go to my mum and dad's every year and so told them we would see them in the morning and then doing our own thing. Well my dad refused to come to mine in the morning (so used to us always going there) so didn't see the girls and then didn't speak to me till may!!! It was an awful time for me and I was very upset. My mum spoke to me but was always saying how much trouble I had caused etc! My brother and sister who only occasionally see them got no grief at all! Have already told them we are spending it at ours again this year and they are all going to my sisters this year so will see what grief we get nearer the time. I love Xmas with my kids but hate being made to feel bad for wanting to chill with them xx

Dragonfly
15-10-2014, 06:44 AM
I think thats where a lot of people go wrong. My children are adults now and do their own thing. As children we didn't go any where Christmas day, it was waking to find their stockings, patiently waiting for the dog to be walked, opening presents having the "special lunch" playing with new toys/presents and doing their own thing.Went to grandparents boxing day.This made things more relaxed and special for them.

k1rstie
15-10-2014, 07:32 AM
I am with the 'HATERS' too!

But we always go to the panto on Boxing Day which I do enjoy.

wee_elf
19-10-2014, 10:22 PM
I hate that we have to travel to stay with family for Christmas, i would much rather have a quiet relaxing day just the three of us. I do love the run up to the day itself though :-)

tess1981
27-10-2014, 02:48 PM
Just been sorting out what presents I have already bought the mindees and wrapped 4 so far.. now I won't be double buying like I did last year although I manged to use some of them presents this year. Got some class in the night Garden books last year for 50p in pound stretcher last year and using them for a wee girl this year :)

Dragonfly
27-10-2014, 09:30 PM
love christmas, love christmas, love christmas did you get that:laughing:

tess1981
28-10-2014, 09:21 AM
love christmas, love christmas, love christmas did you get that:laughing:

Not sure the signal strength very weak here could you repeat yourself lol

Dragonfly
28-10-2014, 01:54 PM
I LOVE CHRISTMAS :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

tess1981
28-10-2014, 02:34 PM
I LOVE CHRISTMAS :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Yep got that loud and clear lol

Dragonfly
28-10-2014, 07:32 PM
CHRISTMAS HATERS GONE QUIET HAVENT THEY?

SYLVIA
28-10-2014, 08:41 PM
I love Christmas. I go with the flow. This year I will be cooking dinner for 8 as all the family are coming. It will be extra lovely as my first grandchild is due 9 december and should be here by xmas so he will be here too. I don't have set plans for xmas. My mum used to insist that we had xmas dinner at home all the time we lived at home. It caused a few problems when I was invited to my boyfriends house a couple of times. So I have never done this to my girls. I just do xmas as I want and see what happens.

tess1981
28-10-2014, 11:16 PM
It's my day off tomorrow so I'm doing a little more Christmas shopping. I suppose . I always do it little and often so I don't have to rush out 2 weeks before Christmas and spend a fortune all in one go... plus I hate last minute shopping always panic buy.. would rather put thought into it

Dragonfly
29-10-2014, 07:35 AM
This is what I do so to spread out the cost and not get stressed out about not having my gifts of choice.Putting thought into a gift is so nice rather than 'oh I'll just give them that".
Have a lovely day off and enjoy the shopping, won't be busy which is a bonus.You can also look smug when two weeks before xmas people are stressed :)

blue bear
31-10-2014, 03:43 PM
For two years ow we have had a jokey Christmas. Children are all older now so no little ones.

Son is a chef and works Christmas dayso we have Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve and buy each other joke presents with the prize for the funniest. Budget last year was £3.00 if people buy serious presents it's up to them.
Then we go as a family in the sales and bash the credit card.

So much less stress, no disappointment, no returning ill fitting presents, no buying just because it's expected, lots of laughter and very relaxed.

We have never done the relatives at Christmas basically as mil doesn't like children so we were never invited! :laughing:

Irene_Murdock
19-11-2014, 11:31 AM
I used to love Christmas when I was a kids - it meant a holiday, lots of presents and lots of good food.
But then as I got older, I somehow started not enjoying it as much; it was like all our relatives far and near would descend on our place to celebrate and it was too much of work!