PDA

View Full Version : need some advise

murphy61
30-07-2008, 08:41 AM
With reference to previous thread first enquiry.

the school is further than the one's i was going to do, and i don't drive wouldn't be able todo this and schools i would prefer to do if i was approached but ive just phoned my local cis and there isn't another childminder wqho does this school. (i was hoping to help this parent out in someway even if i couldn't) should i take it and see how things go or wait for more suitable mindee.

murphy61
30-07-2008, 08:42 AM
oh yeah the distance to school to collect doesn't bother me

mrsb
30-07-2008, 12:31 PM
I've not read the other thread yet but if you can get to the other school and it doesn't conflict with you picking up elsewhere then I would go for it :)

Mollymop
30-07-2008, 12:36 PM
I would take the child on and see how it goes. Put 4 weeks trial period in your contract and if it doesn't work out you can terminate easily enough.

Good luck x

buildingblocks
30-07-2008, 08:43 PM
I had every intention of doing one aschool close to me when I first started up. i didn't get any enquiries for that one but got a couple for a different one.

one I wanted about 10 mins walk one I ended up doing was 25 mins (one way) and I don't drive. The one i wanted has lots of minders at the one I do I think there are 2 minders beside me doing runs to there.

Upside lots of enquiries for school runs downside school run in pouring rain with moaning parent (kids love it parent didn't want child getting wet even though she knew I didn't drive and had school runs aRggh)

Tatia
31-07-2008, 11:07 AM
If you are not put off by the distance, I'd go for it. And I'll tell ya why...:D

When I first started minding, I was down for the local school just down the road and I never heard a peep for work. SOmeone recommended me for another school and I took it (bit further than local school but still doable) and I have not looked back. Every bit of my work has stemmed from the school I didn't have down originally. And especially if you're going to be the only childminder there, like I am, you will likely pick up a lot of work from there once your name spreads. I've been busy with work when minders from the other school were very lean.

littletreasures
31-07-2008, 11:14 AM
I used to mind from the school my children were at. I then took on a baby when my youngest was in Year 5. She lived about 3 miles from me, but parents went past mine to get to work.

She didn't get a place at the school where my daughter was. I decided to terminate the contract I had at that school as it was only part time and I wanted to keep this little girl and her baby brother who was full time. I now collect her from her school and also another child and have had 2 or 3 enquiries as well.

I agree with the others, if you can do it do.

Good luck

miffy
31-07-2008, 11:15 AM
I agree with the others - you may find you get a lot more work if there are no other minders collecting from that school - just make sure you get your name and face known

Good luck

Miffy xx

murphy61
31-07-2008, 05:52 PM
though its a few years away i don't want to get tied down to that school as we want our little girl to go to one near. thank you for all the advise though.