PDA

View Full Version : Pre reg preparations so far.. (Bundling lots of Q's in one post!)

TabbyTuTu
19-09-2014, 10:07 AM
Well, re-writing my policies and procedures, much happier. Going to give my RA's a check over once PP's are complete. Just little bits to do for my home in terms of safety, mainly child locks in kitchen (And getting a hook-eye lock for kitchen door, my own children know they can only go in there if I'm with them but decided it would be easier on me just to have it locked when not in use!) and getting some edging on the laminate (Don't want to hurt little toes if they decide to walk against the walls!) Also thinking of fixing a stair gate to my bedroom door.

I have a sheet written out for attendance, visitors and outings which just needs printing off a bunch every week. I was thinking of getting a ring binder and making a scrapbook for each child, it can have bright coloured pages for Obs to be stuck on, and plastic packets for photos, thinking one observation a week/fortnight and an LJ every three months? I also plan on getting cheap exercise books from poundland as a daily diary, I have a 23 month old and I know if she was being minded I would want a written record of naps, bum changes and food. Mind you, I wish school did that too! Like getting blood out of a stone asking my four year old about things!

Still unsure about how to record fridge temps and fire drills. Probably print off a fire drill table, guess it will need columns for date, time, children in attendance? Anything else? Seems silly to print off paper for fridge temps though!

What do you put in a welcome pack? A copy of my profile of course, I think I put in copies of P&P's? But I don't include RA's?

On the list of require P&P's it says Risk Assessment. Is this a separate policy on RA's, or just RA's as whole?

Going to get my hubby's EY2 written this weekend if I can pin him down long enough.

I need to reorder the DBS' as I did not join update service, however I'm just going through the motions to volunteer at a playgroup at my local children's centre so now need to await for my DBS for them before I can apply for another one for child minding. Aaargh! Curiously the manager of CC says I should be able to use the code from their DBS for me to pay the £13 update fee and not have to fork out for another DBS from scratch? Not sure if this will work out or not but hopefully it will as it will save me £52 and I'll only have to get hubby's!

Don't feel any closer to my final goal but heyho :-(

Also, it irritates me when writing my PP's as the word "childminder" keeps getting highlighted as wrong, is it with a hyphen (child-minder) or a space (child minder)? Neither look right to me :-/

Sorry for all q's!

moggy
19-09-2014, 11:13 AM
Still unsure about how to record fridge temps and fire drills. Probably print off a fire drill table, guess it will need columns for date, time, children in attendance? Anything else? Seems silly to print off paper for fridge temps though!

No need to record fridge temps. It is something restaurants do as there are lots o staff and managers and they need to check it has been checked! But we just note IF there is a problem- so if temp was too high we'd note it and get it sorted out.

What do you put in a welcome pack? A copy of my profile of course, I think I put in copies of P&P's? But I don't include RA's?

This is your sales brochure! so sell yourself- photos, typical day's routine, places you go, typical menu, what you offer in terms of meals, snacks, your opening times/days, a bit about your philosophy/style like why you are a CM and what kind of atmosphere you are creating at your setting etc etc No RA- these are not for parents to see unless they specifically ask for some reason. I include permissions sheets, child record form, letters of recommendation (even if you are new you might have babysat for families who are willing to write you a reference?)

On the list of require P&P's it says Risk Assessment. Is this a separate policy on RA's, or just RA's as whole?

A RA Policy says how/why/what you RA, how you do daily checks too, how you update your RAs. The actual RA sheets are separate.

TabbyTuTu
19-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Thanks Moggy :-)

My local LA says to record fridge temps as things like that make all the difference between good and outstanding - That in itself upsets me as surely a daily fridge check has nothing to do with any excellence in childcare?!

Okay, so I should be able to list a RA sub-policy in my Healthy and safety policy? I like to tie all things together instead of having separate things for everything