PDA

View Full Version : Have to get another DBS :-(

TabbyTuTu
11-09-2014, 09:29 AM
I think I might cry. This has just been one thing after another. So i waited months til i had done all the courses listed by the LA to find out that I had only needed to do the initial course before I had to register, then my immersion heater broke and, not being able to cm without hot water or being able to afford to get it fixed, we had to wait to get that mended, then I got my DBS sorted out, then i've been waiting for references to come back from my referees, then my printer broke and i had to wait again til we could afford to buy a new printer. and now, I'm sat here filling in my ofsted registration, finally, all excited and happy that finally it was happening.. To discover that I was meant to register the DBS update service within 19 days of my certificate coming through. I didn't know this. So I have to pay for two more certificates and wait even longer. And the website isn't even working for me to try and get it sorted. It just feels like it isn't meant to be. I did my first course last November, so nearly a year has passed and i'm still no closer to being registered :-(

Lal
11-09-2014, 09:35 AM
Poor you. I would call ofsted and check if you do need a new DBS. My understanding is they don't expire, they just cannot be transferred between organisations without the update service, so if they were ofsted DBS checks then they should be ok.

CSR2014
11-09-2014, 11:10 AM
Ah, you poor poor thing, I feel so much for you!! It must feel like everything is against you. Have a good cry and then sort it out as you know you can and will!! Once you are through your registration and working you will look back and it will all just be a bad memory hopefully. Good luck with your application and don't give up after all the effort you've put in so far!!!

FussyElmo
11-09-2014, 11:11 AM
Poor you. I would call ofsted and check if you do need a new DBS. My understanding is they don't expire, they just cannot be transferred between organisations without the update service, so if they were ofsted DBS checks then they should be ok.

Unfortunately any childminder registering after the 1st September has to sign up for the update service. So Tabbytutu will have to pay for another dbs :(

There are lots of cms who this is happening to you

Lal
11-09-2014, 11:18 AM
Will I need to then? I applied in august, but had my pre-reg in september. :huh:

FussyElmo
11-09-2014, 11:31 AM
Will I need to then? I applied in august, but had my pre-reg in september. :huh:

I think its for any cm who are applying to ofsted after the 1st September. You applied in august so should be ok I think

TabbyTuTu
12-09-2014, 11:09 AM
Thank you everyone. It was a struggle yesterday to think positively, I was so frustrated with myself. It just all seems to be taking so long.. I shouldn't have been so relaxed about it, I wasn't in a rush to get registered before my son started school so I didn't rush.. Wish I had now! I was expecting to be registered in April and know two other ladies from my initial courses who are both fully booked with waiting lists! And here's me still soldiering on..

I am so pleased you said it was put in place on Sept 1st FuzzyElmo!! I was hoping it was a new measure and I hadn't just missed something so drastically important, at least I know it is only half my fault now.

So, onto positive thinking. It gives me more time to polish my policies and procedures. It gives me more time to diy a bit more. I probably won't be registered before Christmas so at least I don't have to panic about the tree and decorations being risk assessed this year! I get a bit more one-on-one time with my little girl before she has to share me again!

My main annoyance is forking out the cash for it yet again but all being well I'll be earning soon so hey.. and ohhh I really hope I don't need to faff around getting new ID checks!!! I may ring my LA and check with her about ID checks and as to whether I need a new one for me or both my husband and myself :-/

TabbyTuTu
12-09-2014, 11:19 AM
If the DBS update service has just been implemented does it mean only new Childminders have to pay the £13 per year reg fee?

tulip0803
12-09-2014, 11:39 AM
If the DBS update service has just been implemented does it mean only new Childminders have to pay the £13 per year reg fee?

At the moment in England some childminders from before CRBs do not have one at all just the old police check. OFSTED have felt that the initial checks were ok to last a lifetime (more due to cost than anything I think as they used to pay for them). It may change in the future. In Wales we have to renew ours and all our families every 3 years, they are still paying at the moment but this is under review and they are already recommending it but only if the CSSIW has signed it off as they won't accept the initial signing from anyone else due to the regs here.

FussyElmo
12-09-2014, 12:13 PM

The update service has been there since the crb changed to dbs.

the thing that changed is that you now have to pay for it since the 1st September. Anyone you register as living in your house as well as you will have tp pay the update. Whether that's now a change for all professions I don't know

Ellisha
12-09-2014, 02:09 PM
Does this mean I'll need to get another DBS for my husband? His DBS was printed on 8th Aug, mine has only just been printed so I haven't yet applied to Ofsted. I haven't registered for the DBS update for my husband as was waiting for my DBS to come through first.