PDA

View Full Version : Anyone childminding from a flat?

TabbyTuTu
10-09-2014, 12:33 PM
Well I can finish filling in my EY forms now I have references back. Ah this is taking so long! I had my first council run course last November, going to have to renew my registration with them soon, never mind...

Just wondered if anyone has experience childminding from a flat? I live on the first floor which I know won't stop me minding but concerned it could put parents off, then there is the whole taking one kid downstairs, while leaving another in the flat :-/ My current plan is to obviously make sure the living room is safe, secure with the gate so no great escape while I took the first child downstairs. Will this be ok with the ofsted? I also have a very large communal garden, it is accessed round the side of the house and only three properties can use it however nobody but us have ever used it so would it be alright to use for my business?

moggy
10-09-2014, 05:56 PM
I know CMers who work from a flat- one uses a sling to get multiple children downstairs, I would definitely recommend a ring sling for this- so easy to carry even a 2+ year old on your hip hands-free while holding 2 other children's' hands if needed. Easy to pop child in and out too. Not the best for long walks but for in and out of car/ up down stairs etc it is perfect.

Until you know the children and their exact 'stair-abilities' you won't be able to predict exactly how you will do it, also depends on any nervous children likely to cry if you leave them at top of stairs etc. Just have a few scenarios in mind and see how it goes.

samb
10-09-2014, 07:13 PM
I minded in an upstairs flat for 4 years before moving this July. I didn't leave any in/out I just worked out how to get them down the safest way with each scenario. Eg if a baby and 2 toddlers, sit baby on lap a toddler each side and "bump" down together- it's fun lol!

In terms of did it put anyone off? No. Not that I know of anyway. I was amazed to be honest. I'd put off minding as I really thought people wouldn't use a minder in a flat when there were beautiful large houses all around me. I'd been a nursery nurse and nanny before and then one day my dd's friends mum asked if I would be interested in looking after her dd. it was perfect as I had for 1 3/4 hours 3 times a week until my registration came through which was just in time for the holidays so then had her 3 full days and by the time it was October half term I had another 2 children signed up. I got to the point I was totally full at the flat.

There are positives to point out to parents- all on one floor so easy to hear when napping/ potty train/ just generally supervise.

I had access to communal garden that was mostly unused by other residents however I treated it like I would any other public place- eg risk assess, all outside at same time, take toys out, don't leave anything out there, plan for activities like you would if you'd go anywhere else etc

Feel free to ask specifics if you need to. :-)

Maza
10-09-2014, 07:17 PM
Yes, I child mind from a first floor flat. It has never put parents off - you can't dwell on what you can't change. Some of my families have also lived in flats and some in very big houses from the next village.

I take all the children downstairs with me when someone new arrives or if the postman rings the bell. The children don't mind at all and find it quite exciting. Once someone came to read the meter and I just said over the intercom that it wasn't a good time and explained my situation and they were happy to come back later. If one of them is asleep in the travel cot then I will leave them whilst I answer the door.

When I had two one year olds I used to pop one in the jumperoo, run downstairs and strap one in he buggy and then run back upstairs and collect the other one. I couldn't have one crawling around downstairs while I strapped the other one in as there was loads of they could have pulled on to themselves. They were always within earshot.

Parents might want to know how you will provide outdoor experiences. Do you have a garden or are there parks/woods/fields etc near you?
The only other thing that you really have to think about are your downstairs neighbours. I never had a problem until hey moved and a retired couple moved in. They are at home ALL day every day and bang on the ceiling if the LOs get too energetic. Where will you store pushchairs? Will you do handovers downstairs at the main door or at your flat door? I used to do them up in my flat bu then once parents left I had to drag everyone downstairs to lock the main door after the parent had left. Occasionally I would forget and get in trouble with the neighbours, understandably. Now I do handovers downstairs at the main door but then sometimes the LOs play up when they see their parents and it is right outside my downstairs neighbour's door. It's stressful but your situation with your neighbours might be different. As I said, it's the neighbours and not the parents who give me trouble - they have fallen out with most people in the street though, not just me. I know several local childminders in flats and only one struggles for business, but I don't think it is because she lives in a flat. x