PDA

View Full Version : continuity of care rule

sharontope
01-09-2014, 05:33 PM
hi, i live in a small cottage. i care for 3 children under age 5 as this is what i have space for. but one of my parents wants me to look after her other child. i think this would be ok under the continuity of care rule but would mean that i am outside of the space rule. does anyone know how this works?
thanks

Rick
01-09-2014, 05:39 PM
You would need to risk assess and inform parents. Part of your risk assessment would be whether you had the space for a fourth child. This should help

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/Resources/Changing%20conditions%20of%20registration%20from%2 009.2012.pdf

Simona
03-09-2014, 07:55 AM
hi, i live in a small cottage. i care for 3 children under age 5 as this is what i have space for. but one of my parents wants me to look after her other child. i think this would be ok under the continuity of care rule but would mean that i am outside of the space rule. does anyone know how this works?
thanks

Each variation is unique to a cm...unique to the child and unique to your premises
This is definitely a continuity of care variation...what do the parents think? especially the ones who may be faced with either splitting their children or finding a cm who can care for both?
I would seek all their views and record them....and then I would seek further advice on this when it comes to your space and consider the age of the children especially the siblings...how old is the older one...any of the children off to preschool soon?

Although Ofsted do not advice on this the parents could always give the inspectorate a ring and get their own view on this

Good luck

FussyElmo
03-09-2014, 09:20 AM
thanks

The problem you have is the space requirements if you haven't got enough space as set out in the eyfs then how can you do a risk assessment saying you have.