PDA

View Full Version : Dinning table

gemma659353
24-08-2014, 08:37 AM
Am considering getting rid of my dinning table due to having little space in my kitchen.

Does anyone else not have a dinning table?

I have laminate flooring so messy activities etc are usually done on the floor with a mat, it would only be used for eating.

muffins
24-08-2014, 08:59 AM
I don't think I could manage without a table, where would you eat?

FloraDora
24-08-2014, 10:20 AM
We eat all our meals at the dining table, I consider this vital to my 'home' setting. It's one of the things that distinguishes me from the local nursery where the children play and eat at the same small tables, institution like.
Plus, big plus, I always eat my evening meal at the table, always have, always will, if you have a young family research shows that this is an important part of family relations, to eat together at a table, TV switched off, conversation flowing.
If you are struggling for room have you thought about a collapsable dining table? I noticed on my last trip to Ikea that they had quite inexpensive modern tables that fold down to quite a narrow foot print.

Good luck in your decision.

bunyip
24-08-2014, 10:27 AM
We eat all our meals at the dining table, I consider this vital to my 'home' setting. It's one of the things that distinguishes me from the local nursery where the children play and eat at the same small tables, institution like.
Plus, big plus, I always eat my evening meal at the table, always have, always will, if you have a young family research shows that this is an important part of family relations, to eat together at a table, TV switched off, conversation flowing.
If you are struggling for room have you thought about a collapsable dining table? I noticed on my last trip to Ikea that they had quite inexpensive modern tables that fold down to quite a narrow foot print.

Good luck in your decision.

Please come and tell this to my client. I've had months of problems with one mindee whose experience of "food" is tinned cr4p and ding-meals consumed in front of the Disney Channel. The only time she had ever eaten at a table is when she gets a deep-fried heap of Chicken-Muck-Nuggets in a box with a plastic toy. :panic: All I get is whining, wriggling, nastiness towards other mindees, and revolting puking noises as she demands I take away the "nasty food" I give her and replace it with "something nice" out of a tin.

Simona
24-08-2014, 10:40 AM
How will children cope when they go to school and lunch is eaten at the table I wonder?
I would assume this is part of 'getting ready for school' in terms of PSED and PD? and much more important than being able to count to 20
maybe parents have to start thinking that their little ones will have no choice of eating in front of a tv at school or get chicken nuggets?

Despite the fact that this govt puts a lot of stress on providers teaching children...my view is that it starts at home so we may have to rethink how we share learning and progress with parents...sometimes it is a losing battle.

Also some activities on the floor are really good but not all can be easily done by older children

FloraDora
25-08-2014, 09:22 AM
Please come and tell this to my client. I've had months of problems with one mindee whose experience of "food" is tinned cr4p and ding-meals consumed in front of the Disney Channel. The only time she had ever eaten at a table is when she gets a deep-fried heap of Chicken-Muck-Nuggets in a box with a plastic toy. :panic: All I get is whining, wriggling, nastiness towards other mindees, and revolting puking noises as she demands I take away the "nasty food" I give her and replace it with "something nice" out of a tin.

http://www.firststepsnutrition.org/pdfs/FSNT_EatingWell1-4recipes.pdf
Found this, thought it might be useful for you to share with your client.

tulip0803
25-08-2014, 10:29 AM
Eating is an important part of the day and we all sit at the table and eat together. The little ones learn from the older ones, we chat about what we have done/going to do. They learn to sit at the table and eat nicely using knives and forks. We don't get down until we have finished, we don't walk around with food etc.

We also use the table for cooking, painting, drawing, writing, sticking etc. I couldn't do without my kitchen table, my husband would like to see it go though. I need to seat 6 sometimes but if you need fewer could you risk assess one of those folding tables and chairs sets to give you more space but still give you a table to eat from - Buy Emperor Oval Dining Table and 4 Folding Chairs - Oak Stain at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Bistro sets. (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2666545.htm) Buy Emperor Rectangular Table and 4 Folding Chairs - Oak Stain at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Bistro sets. (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2685849.htm)

bunyip
27-08-2014, 08:11 AM
http://www.firststepsnutrition.org/pdfs/FSNT_EatingWell1-4recipes.pdf
Found this, thought it might be useful for you to share with your client.

Thanks FloraDora. :)

I'll print off and try this, though I'm not sure they'll even recognise it as food. :p