PDA

View Full Version : NMRU baby milk claims

bunyip
07-08-2014, 09:02 AM
I've read the leaflet but not sure how to handle this, so hope someone who is used to doing baby milk claims can please advise.

I have 3 new starters soon: all babies (under 1 yo - each on different days) all on different formula milk brands. How do I go about making the NMRU claim for this?

Tbh, I'm not entirely keen on having to store 3 different cartons of milk powder. As well as the cupboard space, I do worry about having it around for long, as it won't get used very quickly with babies who are each only here 1-2 days per week.

Would it be better just to ask mums to provide made-up bottle and forget the whole business of claiming through NMRU? This seems simplest, but at least 1 of the mums (a primary teacher) is very hot on what she's entitled to.

The other question is, what to do after they are 1 yo? IIUC when they are 1 yo we can no longer claim for formula milk and have to claim for liquid cow's milk instead. But what if the mums don't want to make the switch on the lo's 1st birthday?

Any advice and comments most welcome. Many thanks in advance. :)

hectors house
07-08-2014, 09:33 AM
Sorry haven't any experience of claiming for baby formula milk - hopefully someone who does will come along and help you soon Bunyip, I have a new baby (younger than I normally take as most people seem to take 10+ months maternity leave) starting in Oct so will pop back later and read the replies. My parents generally send along the powdered milk in those pre measured containers and even boiled water in the bottles already.

Mouse
07-08-2014, 10:04 AM
I'm sure you're only supposed to keep powder for 4 weeks after it's been opened. I can't imagine you'd get through a whole tin in that time if you were only taking out 1/3rd of a pint a day.

I think I would work out the cost of a tin of powder (whichever sort), work out how much milk it would make, work out how much 1/3rd of a pint would cost, pay that amount to the parent (as your milk suppiler) and claim that amount back from NMRU. There don't seem to be any restrictions on where you have to buy the powder from, or that you have to buy it in whole tubs at a time.

The other option would be to phone NMRU and ask if you can buy the ready made cartons.

EDIT: just spotted the bit that says you can't claim for ready to drink milk :(

Mouse
07-08-2014, 10:20 AM
Looking at SMA First Infant formula.

A tin costs £10 and has approx 210 scoops of powder.

6 scoops needed to make up a bottle with 180mls of water (roughly 1/3rd of a pint)

6 scoops of powder would cost about 28.5p.

If parents aren't bothered about claiming, I wouldn't bother. But if they're going to want you to claim, I would get them to provide all the formula and you knock 30p a day off their bill, then claim it back (I don't think NMRU would mind about the extra 1.5p)

When the baby turns 1, your hands are tied. You can then only claim for cow's milk, so if parents don't want their child to have it, you can no longer claim for formula. To be honest, even if the child is on formula for the rest of the day, 1/3rd pint of cows milk won't do them any harm (unless of course there are medical reasons)

tulip0803
07-08-2014, 01:20 PM
I only claim cows milk for children over one for this reason (providing the parent is moving them onto it).

All my babies have only ever come 1-2 days a week and as they are so prescriptive about what milk can be claimed (has to be powdered not carton) I cannot store several different tins for 1 bottle a day.

bunyip
07-08-2014, 09:01 PM
Thanks for all your replies.

Thanks for doing the calculation, Mouse. It's made up my mind. The one mum (the teacher) who seems determined to stand by her right to free formula milk will be very straightforward to deal with. I'm only having her lo 1 day a week and he'll be 1 in October. So I'll ask her to send the bottles made up and write her a 30p cheque by way of a refund every week until she works out how petty she's being ;) ...................................... then tell her in October it's cows' milk or nuffin. :D

This has quite cheered me up after a day which started out full of promise then turned rather horrible :( by mid-afternoon.

Thank you all. :)

rickysmiths
07-08-2014, 09:37 PM
Gosh so up to 70 6oz bottles from a tin of Formula.

So Bunyip on one day a week a tin of F would last 70 weeks well over a year!!! You are right it has to be used within 4 weeks of being open.

Sorry I wouldn't go to the bother of claiming one bottle a week especially for a month. II certainly would buy a bottle off the mum and then do all the paperwork and take the time to claim the money back what a waste of your time in proportion to one days pay!

I would tell the mum to provide the powder formula and if she refused I would buy the ready made and add it to her bill as I state on my Contracts that parents should provide Formula but I will provide cows milk.

I know Teachers are not paid a huge salary but they are not that poor. What a joke!! If she was full time maybe but I wouldn't do it them either.

sing-low
07-08-2014, 09:49 PM
Sorry haven't any experience of claiming for baby formula milk - hopefully someone who does will come along and help you soon Bunyip, I have a new baby (younger than I normally take as most people seem to take 10+ months maternity leave) starting in Oct so will pop back later and read the replies. My parents generally send along the powdered milk in those pre measured containers and even boiled water in the bottles already.
Current guidelines (from FSA and DoH) advise to add formula to boiled water, not water pre-boiled and cooled (this is because formula powder is not sterile so it needs to be added to boiling water to kill the bacteria). That was my lunchtime nap job for one LO - boil water, add formula, cool as quickly as possible to then store in fridge ready for evening. Better for mum to make up on the day and bring ready cooled, if you want to save the hassle factor.