PDA

View Full Version : Argh, DS has left his favourite toy at school!

sing-low
24-07-2014, 09:06 PM
I am so frustrated with DS right now. He's nine and so forgetful. This evening he told me that he'd left ALL his hexbugs ( horrid, creepy, animated ant-like things) at school in an unnamed plastic bag! He bought some more of them today and must have been looking for the others. I think he must have taken about ten in, without me realising. Why, oh why?! I've just emailed his teacher, which I feel really bad about, as it's the holidays.

He came back from a sleepover with one school shoe ( having left his mobile phone and swim kit as well) and we only discovered this when packing smart shoes for him to go with his grandfather to a cricket match at Lord's. Dress code: smart! I despair.

smurfette
24-07-2014, 09:27 PM
Couldn't you just cheerfully strangle
Them sometimes lol?! Would there be admin staff or cleaners in the school
Tomorrow?

FloraDora
24-07-2014, 09:45 PM
I am so frustrated with DS right now. He's nine and so forgetful. This evening he told me that he'd left ALL his hexbugs ( horrid, creepy, animated ant-like things) at school in an unnamed plastic bag! He bought some more of them today and must have been looking for the others. I think he must have taken about ten in, without me realising. Why, oh why?! I've just emailed his teacher, which I feel really bad about, as it's the holidays.

He came back from a sleepover with one school shoe ( having left his mobile phone and swim kit as well) and we only discovered this when packing smart shoes for him to go with his grandfather to a cricket match at Lord's. Dress code: smart! I despair.

You are more likely to get a response if you email head, as teachers emails are sometimes only accessible in school. HT's check emails throughout holiday. I expect the school is having some work done over the hols and head will know when - or office manager. You could pop up when school is open for builders. If he has some more though, I would be inclined to leave them until September, he may not go sneeking them in again if he misses them this holiday.

SYLVIA
25-07-2014, 06:00 AM
My dd2 (now 24) lost 5 school cardigans in one term when she was in year 1. All name but we never got them back. She cold never remember where she left them!

moggy
25-07-2014, 06:52 AM
If it was a younger/Infant school child and their special comforter/teddy I would be getting in touch with school.

For a 9 year old and his Hexbugs... well, my 9 year old would be having to learn a lesson in carelessness and about not taking special things to school. I certainly would not be hunting for them and I know my Y5-teacher-husband would not be well amused to be hearing about a pupil's lost toys!

(Just the kind of thing my 9yo DS would do, by the way. They have to learn from their mistakes)

sing-low
25-07-2014, 07:23 AM
They've been left in a locked cupboard in the ICT room so even if admin/cleaners are in, they'd be unlikely to have access. Yes, it will be a lesson for him, either to not have them all summer or possibly not get them back at all. In a way, I'm not anxious to chase them for him but I know with things like this, the longer you leave it, the more chance of not getting them back. I've asked his teacher to look for them but said we'll get them next term. I have to be a bit careful with DS too as he gets really down on himself when he does silly things like this - sometimes saying 'I'm so stupid' and shouting at himself.

Chatterbox Childcare
25-07-2014, 07:25 AM
I bet the school is open and the teachers are in clearing their classrooms for next term. Give the school a ring.

If he is so forgetful I would suggest labelling everything - including a bag he takes to school lol. Kids who would have them?

If you can't get the toys back then maybe this will be a good learning curve for him to be without them for 6 weeks.

bunyip
25-07-2014, 07:51 AM
I would imagine school has a caretaker around to stop gangs of 'yoofs' breaking in over the long vac. Contact the caretaker. If not, then contact a gang of 'yoofs' to break in and recover said Hexbugs. :rolleyes:

IME non-teaching staff, such as a caretaker, are far more likely to find stuff than the teachers. My grandson's bag went missing for months at his school. His teacher and the smarmy head both "faithfully reassured" his mum that they'd "searched the school from top to bottom" and "it can't possibly be here". Then a team of contract cleaners went in at Easter to do a deep-clean of the premises and found the bag: in his teacher's desk drawer. :panic: I can only assume it wasn't the drawer she keeps the vodka in, as she must use that one a lot more frequently.

Top marks for your DS though. Any child who likes cricket and Hexbugs is my kinda lad. :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
25-07-2014, 10:17 AM
My husband is in school this morning clearing up etc.

However if these are locked in a cupboard were they taken away because he shouldn't have had them in school?

If this is the case in my husbands school they would be there until next term.

As a mother I would be leaving them there until next term whatever age, lesson in you don't take such things to school and if you do and you forget then then you get them back when school is back tough.

As the wife of a Teacher I would be very cross if a parent emailed my husband in the holiday about such a thing. It is his holiday, his break, his unpaid break at that and it is bad enough that he will be spending 2-3 weeks of it in school anyway and doing a mass of work at home but to expect a Teacher to go running around after a forgotten toy, NO. Also do you know where the Teacher lives? We live 10 miles from school and the Head is 30 miles away.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but have a thought for your Teachers.

He needs to learn to take a bit of responsibility with regard to his things. As for the sleep over did the mum at the house he stayed not check he had everything? I used to scour the house after a sleep over to make sure nothing was left behind especially with the boys :laughing: