PDA

View Full Version : Saying goodbye to 2

Kiddleywinks
24-07-2014, 08:16 PM
Had 2 to say goodbye to today, both off to big school in September.
One is my niece, so not as upsetting, but the 2nd LO....
Hasn't been here long, has had a traumatic family life until recently, which was when I came into the mix.
Terribly shy, extremely emotional, not very communicative, withdrawn, a loner, baby of the family, and always seemed sad.

We've done so much together in such a short space of time (6 months). There were some things that had never been done before, so lots of caution - never done finger, sponge or hand painting, messy play of any description, free play/choice, imaginative play, role play, so much that most 2 and 3 year olds have experienced by the bucket load, this LO just hadn't.

There have been times when I've wondered if I have been getting through, as there's been little by way of feedback/response from him, although I've been told by family members that he loves coming here and is eager to come.

Last day was yesterday, and I have some fantastic photos from an impromptu trip to a local park with water jets and fountains in the play area - proper beaming from ear to ear after being reassured that it was ok to get clothes wet (I'd taken some spares and some towels just in case lol)
Today was leavers party day, lots of fun and games, and time to say goodbye to our friends.
Learning journey was duly finished last night with yesterday's pics.
LO said goodbye happily and bounded over to step mums car. Just as I handed over his LJ, he skidded to a halt, turned, ran back up the drive to me, and gave me the biggest tightest hug.....

Yup, I blubbed (he's never hugged me before!)

Told him how proud I was of him, and I really am.
He's come on so much in such a short space of time, and I feel really privileged to have been part of his little life.
Can't put a price on that can we?

loocyloo
24-07-2014, 08:22 PM
Awww that's lovely. Made me cry just reading it.

And yes ... You can't put a price on it.

sing-low
24-07-2014, 09:08 PM
Oh, I'm blubbing too. How special that he gave you a hug to say goodbye - shows how far you've helped him to come.

smurfette
24-07-2014, 09:24 PM
Wow what a lovely last
Moment you have done an amazing job xx

blue bear
25-07-2014, 10:03 PM
So special,you will cherish that hug more than any gift that could be bought I'm sure

snortlet
26-07-2014, 06:09 AM
Thats so lovely. Print out your post and stick it in your diary or somewhere. when there are tough days to come read it and it will remind you that what we all do does make a difference to little ones xx

mama2three
26-07-2014, 07:26 AM
That's so heartwarming.
Now copy down what you've just written and add it to your SEF!
( can you tell Ive got O coming and wish Id kept more notes for mine!!)

natlou82
26-07-2014, 08:25 AM
That is absolutely lovely, so great that you've had such a big impact x

Maza
26-07-2014, 03:56 PM
Oh how precious. Well done you. That brought tears to my eyes. x

greanan
28-07-2014, 07:49 PM
Aww precious moment :-)

Kiddleywinks
29-07-2014, 07:20 AM
Thanks for your comments, it's definitely a moment I will cherish forever, and recall any time I'm finding things tough/difficult ;)

Never thought about adding it to my SEF - good idea :laughing:

Just made me realise that we don't always know just how big an impact we actually make, but in that moment, it was huge :thumbsup: