PDA

View Full Version : EYFS and medication

ladylipgloss
28-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Hi all. Could somebody let me know what the policy is for medication under eyfs. I did my first aid course again over the weekend and our tutor said that we must get a signature every day for giving calpol and that we can't just have a permission form signed to say we can give it whenever needed. I have heard so many different things about how and when we can give it under eyfs it would be nice to have some clarity. Thanks.

sarah707
28-07-2008, 04:37 PM
This is the wording in the revised standards -

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/eyfs/site/requirements/welfare/safeguarding/2.htm

The way I am reading them is ...

I have a form for parents to sign to give me permission to administer things like antibiotics which must be signed to give permission, me sign to say I've given and parents sign again to confirm they've been told I've given;

I have a form for parents to sign to say I can administer things like inhalers, eczema cream, calpol etc if the child needs it - which parents must sign;

I have a form to say I have administed the medication BUT with Calpol and certain other drugs etc I also need written permission (and to be sure I'm not overdosing the child) so i will not give it until I have a text (permission must be in writing) from parents giving me permission and telling me when last dose was given. Then I fill in a form to say its given and again they have to sign to say I have followed their wishes.

i hope this makes sense! :D