PDA

View Full Version : New house for childminding

princessj29
28-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Hi

I have booked a place on the pre-registration course in November to become a childminder. Before becoming registered, my husband and I are buying a new house - we are torn between two and I'm just looking for your advice on which you think would be more suitable. House A is a three storey townhouse. A first floor bedroom would be converted to a playroom. It has a downstairs toilet and a family bathroom on the first floor. It is across the road from a playing field and playground but has a very small paved garden. It is about a thirty minute walk from town/the library (I don't currently drive.) It is across the road from a primary school/nursery so very convenient for drop offs/pick ups.

House B is a four bedroomed house. The garage would be converted into a playroom, and would flow directly into the slightly bigger garden. There is a segregated area to put our dog whilst the children are playing outside. It is in a very quiet area 4 miles from town. There is a downstairs toilet and utility room to clean the children up after painting etc. It has a summer house and a big kitchen for the children help with baking etc.

Obviously buying a house is a very big decision, so if you could give any advice on which house you think would be more suitable I would be very grateful!!

SimplyLucy
28-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Shame you can't pick house B up and put it in house A's location!

Is there any schools/preschools near house B?

Would you be able to get a bus from house B to attend toddler groups etc?

With house A your minding would take over the whole house where as house B it could be confined to downstairs and the garden, do you want minding to take over the whole house?

Just a few things for you to think about!

princessj29
28-07-2008, 04:48 PM
I know, house B in A's location would be ideal!

There are buses, but only about once per hour, and there is one primary school about a 20 minute walk away but that's it.

I've been to look at house A again today and I think that makes more sense. It's close to schools/nurseries/new estates and on a regular bus route to various days out/the library/toddler groups. It would've been better to have the playroom seperate but in the second bedroom will be fine. Thanks for your help!

sarah707
28-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Inspecting under the eyfs, Ofsted will be looking for a free-flow play area from inside to outside as ideal (nor obligatory but ideal), so having a playroom upstairs might present a problem.

Plus you'd have the added issue of how to supervise the children while you are downstairs cooking ...

But if you can't drive then you need to be closer to schools etc.

Can you hang out for house B in house A's general area??

Good luck with whatever you decide! :D

angeldelight
28-07-2008, 07:00 PM
Personally I would look for something that is perfect for YOU and YOUR FAMILY ........... Then fit the childminding into it after

I was not a childminder when I moved into my house years and years ago - I just adapted things to suit my minding

Remember your house is going to be YOUR HOME FIRST!

Angel xx