PDA

View Full Version : Hubs thinks I'm harsh

Tatia
28-07-2008, 11:32 AM
I want to add this bit to my hygiene policy but my husband doesn't think I should. What do you think? Cos I kinda feel policy should be strict from the get-go and if you have stated it then everyone is aware of what's happening. Please be honest cos I could just be in a grumpy mood but I don't see anything wrong with it.:D

Occasionally, a child may turn up looking a bit dishevelled or unkempt for a variety of reasons. I have a young daughter so I completely understand! I reserve the right to change or launder clothing, if necessary and to provide basic hygienic help such as washing (not bathing), hair combing and deodorant, if necessary. We are out and about the community every day and the children in my care are a reflection of my setting. Repeated disregard for personal hygiene may result in my placing a call to social services because it is a sign of neglect and I am obligated to report any suspected abuse or neglect.

Bushpig
28-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Hi, I am afraid I agree with your hubby.. sorry! :o

If you see they need a tidy up, just do it... I am sure the parent won't mind. But to have it as part of a policy might (I say *might*) come across as a little offensive.

I edited a whole lot out of my non smoking policy... hubby said it was bordering on rude and that parents were not ignorant of the risks... :o

miffy
28-07-2008, 11:44 AM
I think it's harsh too.

I understand where you're coming from but if I was a parent reading that I'd be appalled that your first line of action seemed to be putting in a call to social services.

Now I'm sure you don't mean that at all but it's just how it reads to me. There is nothing there about how you would work with the parent to resolve the issues and I think you would need to do that before calling ss.

Miffy xx

Mags
28-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Sorry i also agree with what others have said. I would just do whatever needed doing discreetly.:)

Mrs.L.C
28-07-2008, 11:48 AM
I agree it is abit harsh. Has this happened to you to make you want to write it into a policy? If this situation arises I would clean up the child and mention it to parents

Pudding Girl
28-07-2008, 11:53 AM
As a parent I would think you were being bang out of order and not place my child with you, sorry! :blush:

Minstrel
28-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Also if they are anything like my 2 boys then they leave the house completely presentable and arrive looking like they've been dragged through a hedge backwards i think thats just kids!!
I think if your about to go out most parents would give the kids a quick tidy up anyway- straighten clothes, change a dirty t- shirt , wash a face , maybe comb hair again.
No parent is gonna mind that without a big policy about it in my opinion. x

crazybones
28-07-2008, 11:57 AM
I too think its a bit harsh. How about writing up something to say that as children are likely to get dirty and messy could you have a supply of clean (you could always launder them yourself if they are kept in your house) clothes, hairbrush, shampoo etc in order that you can help keep them clean throughout the day and permission to launder the clothes that may become dirty whilst with you. That way you can clean them up if they have arrived dirty and blame yourself getting them that way iyswim.

Donkey
28-07-2008, 12:05 PM
I agree with what everyone has said, sorry!!

it does seem a little harsh

Mollymop
28-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Yes I agree, it is too hard in some places. I think the bit about the child being a reflection on your setting is the harshest bit of all. (Ekkk, sorry!!) You know how ofsted are always on about diversity and equality. If a child comes looking unkempt and you change their clothes and put new socks on cos the child came in odd ones, clothes maybe stained, etc, Ofsted or parents may take it the wrong way thinking you mean that you are embarrased to be seen with a child who looks like they need a bath.
I know how you feel though for definate, as I have had a child that is dishevelled and unkempt.

Tatia
28-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Just to be clear, I'm not talking about general untidyness, like my own daughter whose hair starts out beautifully plaited and ends up scraggily or clothes that get mucky. You can tell ground in filth from a days worth of messy activities, I totally appreciate that.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here because I appreciate what you all are saying that my wording is too harsh. I see that and totally take on board your advice. I can be very plain-spoken at times which is why I asked for your input.:)

But I do have a little girl who, although usually clean, is always unkempt (hair matted, clothes that don't fit, shoes too small or too big). The school has actually discussed it with her mother and has discussed bringing social services in. This isn't the reason I am working on this policy but it got me thinking. We childminders are, as professionals, legally obligated to report neglect and children in filthy clothes with knotted hair are neglected. I'm the first one to say absolutely there are many reasons why this may be the case but if at the end of the day, we might encounter a situation where we feel we may need to report it, isn't it better to have it down somewhere so the parent has had clear warning? Just like safeguarding children policies, we clearly state when or if we might call social services, iyswim.

Now, my safeguarding children policy is worded a lot better than the blurb I put up top, no doubt. I must have had my tactful hat on when I wrote it!:D

Curious as to opinions, as always.:thumbsup:

Tatia
28-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Oh and thanks to everyone for their input, as well.:D

miffy
28-07-2008, 12:24 PM
I understand what you're saying Tatia but if you want to include the bit about phoning SS then I think you should also put down in writing the steps you would take (whatever they are) prior to doing so - that way you have a document that will clearly set out what you will do in the circumstances and what action you will take.

If you do that then it should be no different to your safeguarding policy in terms of what will happen in any given circumstances.

As it stands atm what you've written sounds too personal, even though I know you didn't mean it in that way

Miffy xx

Mollymop
28-07-2008, 12:28 PM
You are defintely right there, Tatia.

Tatia
28-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Thanks, Miffy, I think you are exactly right about that. I'll have a play later on.

I love having this place to come and work things through. I can always count on you guys to keep me honest. And tactful. :laughing:

Pudding Girl
28-07-2008, 03:42 PM
could you include it in your child protection policy instead?

wendywu
28-07-2008, 03:50 PM
It must already state in your child protection policy that you will contact social services if you suspect neglect, which is a form of abuse.

I i think that having a seperate policy like this would scare parents away. By all means brush hair, wipe faces and wash clothes. We have all done that. But you dont need a ploicy for it. You are just meeting the childrens needs:)

angeldelight
28-07-2008, 05:34 PM
What did you decide to write in the end Tatia ?

Angel xx

mrsb
28-07-2008, 05:51 PM
could you include it in your child protection policy instead?

that's exactly what I was going to say too :)

Good luck with your writing :)

Tatia
28-07-2008, 06:10 PM
First off, my husband would like to thank everyone for siding with him.:ROFL1:

I haven't given it much thought since earlier. I was a total moron today and decided to cook a roast chicken dinner in this heat. :rolleyes: Now I'm hot, sweating profusely, completely not in the mood for the lovely meal everyone else is chowing on and think I may have heat stroke. Just looking forward to aqua aeobics in an hour!

But as far as the writing, this was not meant to be an entire policy in and of itself, just tacked on to the end of the basic Hygiene policy I already have, which is all about how I meet and enforce hygiene standards in my setting. I'll prob have a play with the wording after I rehydrate myself and state it less bluntly.:D

Mrs.L.C
28-07-2008, 06:59 PM
id say its covered in you child protection policy if you have stated in their about getting SS involved in cases of neglect

But have to say it....Dont you just hate it when the men are right lol....but it is rare