PDA

View Full Version : drain cover help

Kidston
12-07-2014, 07:00 PM
Ive been told by local authorities I will need to get drain covers in the garden. Only problem is I can't find a drain cover for this drain as it has four pipes going into it. Any idea what I can do?

Please ignore the horrible wall and pipes its all being painted in a few weeks.

moggy
12-07-2014, 07:08 PM
Who in LA? A 'helpful' DO? or Env. Health?

I'd get a regular plastic one and push it as far back as you can, there will be a gap by the wall but you will be RA it and you will be supervising and keeping children away, teaching them not to touch etc?
You could try to cut a standard plastic cover with a hacksaw, to custom-fit it.

Kidston
12-07-2014, 07:30 PM
Thanks moggy think i will use a normal one. Im sure OFSTED will soon tell me if its not ok. Dont fancy hacking at one.

The childminder co-ordinator came round to do a safety inspection and said i must get drain covers ready for my pre reg visit so took her word for it.

Simona
13-07-2014, 07:40 AM
I am sorry to appear a bit slow on this ...but what is the problem with that drain? it looks clean, well kept ....it is a drain
As long as it is kept clean...maybe using a disinfectant when children not present.....children warned not to play with it what would Ofsted say?

You could replace the cover with a plastic grill then how about putting a couple of bricks around it...or some flower pots

I know we are all different but we cannot change the world and take away all risks...children have to learn how to manage some of them and also listen to your instructions if asked not to play there...

I am sure I will be shouted at now but I believe in minimising risks as some cannot be removed altogether....it is someone in your LA who has told you what to do rather than discuss the 'potential' risk with you and how to deal with it.

Rubybubbles
13-07-2014, 07:44 AM
I've never covered my drains that look like that! I stick plant pots around them!!

X

Simona
13-07-2014, 07:55 AM
I've never covered my drains that look like that! I stick plant pots around them!!

X

Common sense !!:thumbsup:

blue bear
13-07-2014, 08:01 AM
A couple of bricks over it and a plant pot on top, job done.

rickysmiths
13-07-2014, 12:37 PM
I managed to get a cover to go over mine (nothing to do with cm I have one right next to my front door and I don't like it!!) it is raised and I can plant plants in it and so cover the drain. I would go with the bricks and flower pots or ask the advisor where she suggests you can get a fitting cover!!

gwm
13-07-2014, 01:08 PM
I personally don't see the problem with your pipes and drain. But, if needs must .....A couple of nice pots where the children can sow some seeds and watch them grow or if you know a handyman/woman get a cover made from some marine ply and Bob's your uncle.

alex__17
13-07-2014, 01:42 PM
I have 2 like this, ofsted had no prob, if kids go towards them I tell them not to. Children need to be able to learn not to touch some things, they aren't left alone in my garden so won't get hurt, but if everything is out of reach they'll never learn about risk for themselves.
Just my thoughts though!

Simona
13-07-2014, 02:04 PM
I have 2 like this, ofsted had no prob, if kids go towards them I tell them not to. Children need to be able to learn not to touch some things, they aren't left alone in my garden so won't get hurt, but if everything is out of reach they'll never learn about risk for themselves.
Just my thoughts though!

It looks like to me that bricks and plant pots as suggested and agreed by many here could solve this little manageable risk...hurray for drains! :D