PDA

View Full Version : think I've finished my policys

Kidston
08-07-2014, 10:03 AM
I think ive finished all my policys ready for my pre reg visit I know that its not a requirement and I will add to them as I go along but am I missing anything important?

Admissions
Accident and incident
Behaviour management
Complaints
Confidentiality
Drop off and collection
Emergency evacuation
Equal opportunities
Medication
Non collection
Non use of socket covers
Sick child
Lost child
Health and safety

Tracie Morrison
08-07-2014, 10:39 AM
I think ive finished all my policys ready for my pre reg visit I know that its not a requirement and I will add to them as I go along but am I missing anything important?

Admissions
Accident and incident
Behaviour management
Complaints
Confidentiality
Drop off and collection
Emergency evacuation
Equal opportunities
Medication
Non collection
Non use of socket covers
Sick child
Lost child
Health and safety

Also need...Risk assessment, Safeguarding-which must include the procedure for allegations made against childminder/staff & mobile & camera use, Smoking, Visitors
xx

Kidston
08-07-2014, 10:48 AM
Thank you I do have those too but forgot to add them.

I havent said anything in my safeguarding about smoking though so I'll add that thank you

Tracie Morrison
08-07-2014, 10:53 AM
have smoking and visitors as separate policies xx

hummingbird2014
08-07-2014, 05:50 PM
OMG i have 48 policies! think I'm going OTT with mine?

i have:
accident and incident
administration of medicine
admissions
alcohol and drugs
allegations of abuse against an adult
asthma
behaviour management
biting
bullying
care, learning and play
childminder absence
clothing
complaints
confidentiality
departure
drop off and collection
equal opportunities
equality and diversity
e-safety, mobile phone and camera
exclusion
fire + fire evacuation plans
headlice
health and safety
healthy eating
hygiene
independent arrival
language
lost child
medical emergencies
nappy and toilet training
no smoking
observation
personal possessions
pet
physical contact
routine
safeguarding
safety on outings
settling in
sick child
sun protection
supporting a child for a bereavement
television
terrorism acts
uncollected child
visitors
working with parents

think thats the lot!!!!
I did see my childminding co-ordinator today and she is happy with them all (she did manage to reduce them by three! which have not been added to the above list). Also if you looking at the terrorism one and thinking OMG! Its only because my partner works at the local hospital and within 6 years there has been 2 bomb scares. one of which was serious so it only says if he rings me to say there is a bomb scare at the hospital (serious one) i will be ringing you to collect your child

Chatterbox Childcare
08-07-2014, 07:53 PM
I would look at your policies to see what can be amalgamated - i.e. accidents and incidents could come under Safeguarding as could mobile phone and cameras or it could come under e security with ds, ipads, phones, computer use ...

It can go on forever - look at the eyfs and see what you really do need

bunyip
08-07-2014, 08:14 PM
............and I thought mine were a bit over the top.

Which 3 did your CMing co-ordinator suggest you ditch?

Alien Abduction?
Wildebeest Attack?
Invasion by the Picts?

:p

Vikki5531
08-07-2014, 08:21 PM
............and I thought mine were a bit over the top. Which 3 did your CMing co-ordinator suggest you ditch? Alien Abduction? Wildebeest Attack? Invasion by the Picts? :p

Bunyip you really did just make me laugh out loud! :)

moggy
08-07-2014, 09:12 PM
OMG i have 48 policies! think I'm going OTT with mine?

i have:
accident and incident
admissions
alcohol and drugs
asthma
behaviour management
biting
bullying
care, learning and play
childminder absence
clothing
complaints
confidentiality
departure
drop off and collection
equal opportunities
equality and diversity
exclusion
headlice
health and safety
healthy eating
hygiene
independent arrival
language
lost child
medical emergencies
no smoking
observation
personal possessions
pet
physical contact
routine
safeguarding
safety on outings
settling in
sick child
sun protection
television
terrorism acts
uncollected child
visitors
working with parents

think thats the lot!!!!
I did see my childminding co-ordinator today and she is happy with them all (she did manage to reduce them by three! which have not been added to the above list). Also if you looking at the terrorism one and thinking OMG! Its only because my partner works at the local hospital and within 6 years there has been 2 bomb scares. one of which was serious so it only says if he rings me to say there is a bomb scare at the hospital (serious one) i will be ringing you to collect your child

Goodness, you are making a lot of work for yourself maintaining all those and getting parents to read/agree them all.

I would do some major combining, for example:

accident and incident
medical emergencies
terrorism acts

asthma

admissions
exclusion

alcohol and drugs
no smoking

behaviour management
biting
bullying

care, learning and play
observation

childminder absence

clothing

complaints

confidentiality

departure
drop off and collection
independent arrival
uncollected child

equal opportunities
equality and diversity
language

health and safety
safety on outings
hygiene
headlice
sun protection

healthy eating

lost child

personal possessions

pet

settling in
routine

safeguarding
physical contact
visitors

sick child

television

working with parents

Some could also be covered instead with a general 'starting at my setting' sheet/leaflet- all about clothes to bring, menus including healthy eating, your routines- including how you use TV, about personal possessions, arrival/departure procedures, your absence, etc.

Some will be covered in your contracts anyway- like your absence (who pays, how many weeks off etc, short term notice of closure) so no need to duplicate.

And whether you are sending children home or evacuating due to bomb/fire/gas leak etc does not matter- the procedure is about how/who you contact and if/how you get out of the house, where you go etc. No need to complicate with possible scenarios like 'terrorism' as there are probably a hundred other scenarios equally possible which would require the same action (escaped convict, train crash near-by leaking poisonous chemicals etc- both have happened to me, but not when minding!).

That way you have far less to have to update and review every year. Less to bother parents with every year as you update/review. Less to print out. Less to have to ask new parents to read (can be very off-putting for them to be given too much, likely they wont read).

I have cut down my policy list as the years have gone on, I started with far too many!

hummingbird2014
08-07-2014, 10:41 PM
Chatterbox and moggy thank you so much for the constructive suggestions they have helped me re look at things. I did think I was OTT and my co-ordinate reassured me. But will look at the leaflet called starting at my setting as this will help loads xxxx

Koala
09-07-2014, 05:33 AM
Policies are great to help run our business smoothly, provide an effecting relationship with our families to help everyone all round. I am so pleased all my parents have copies of mine and sign a form acknowledging that they have read and received them, however they must have read Beano by mistake by the actions and behavior of some of my families. :D

TabbyTuTu
19-09-2014, 10:32 AM
Have you had help from Bromley for your P&P's hummingbird? I'm getting help from them too and was umming and ahhing over the terrorism policy! A lot of parents commute to London so I thought maybe.. But then my hubby pointed out I live on the Isle of Wight where the biggest news tends to be largest onion awards and whether or not to mend a pothole (This sounds like a joke but I assure you it isn't! i enjoy comparing headlines from the island with my home town of Grimsby 'oop north, the difference is shocking)

I'm amalgamating as much as possible purely because I can't stand blank spaces on paperwork, but I do love the idea of a booklet for things like clothing and healthy eating etc. Thank you!

And Kidston! You genius with a policy on socket covers, I refused to have them in the house for my kids which caused a lot of arguments with my in-laws, was resigned to having to have them for childminding but I can just write a policy pointing to the websites, thank you so much!

hummingbird2014
22-09-2014, 09:50 PM
Bromley? No I haven't it was various other cm in my area etc ..... You have the policies that suit you not others xxx