PDA

View Full Version : HND Level 4/5 - Unit 5 help please?

pinkellifun
25-06-2014, 01:24 PM
Ok, I'm officially feeling unintelligent :blush: (if that's even a word!). My brain is fried so I need to ask for some ideas as to how to answer this question. I've gone through it several times and I feel like I'm going round in circles. :angry:

I need to do 4 observations on children aged 3-8, in the areas personal, social, emotional, cognitive, sensory and language development.

There is more to it than this but this is the bit I'm stumbling on. I've researched the theorists (so, Piaget, Vygotsky, Bowlby, etc) and understand what their theories are talking about but how do I choose a focus of observation from the theory. For example, I undestand Piaget is talking about the pre-operational stage (age 2-7) and that children of that age are egocentric and assume everyone thinks and sees the world the same way they do. But what would I focus my observation on?

Like I said, I am feeling mighty unintelligent and think I may be reading more into this than I should be - after all, I do observations all the time so why should this be any harder! :(

Any help would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

Simona
25-06-2014, 08:03 PM
Ok, I'm officially feeling unintelligent :blush: (if that's even a word!). My brain is fried so I need to ask for some ideas as to how to answer this question. I've gone through it several times and I feel like I'm going round in circles. :angry:

I need to do 4 observations on children aged 3-8, in the areas personal, social, emotional, cognitive, sensory and language development.

There is more to it than this but this is the bit I'm stumbling on. I've researched the theorists (so, Piaget, Vygotsky, Bowlby, etc) and understand what their theories are talking about but how do I choose a focus of observation from the theory. For example, I undestand Piaget is talking about the pre-operational stage (age 2-7) and that children of that age are egocentric and assume everyone thinks and sees the world the same way they do. But what would I focus my observation on?

Like I said, I am feeling mighty unintelligent and think I may be reading more into this than I should be - after all, I do observations all the time so why should this be any harder! :(

Any help would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

If you want to apply Piaget look at how children are 'beginning' to be aware of others and become less egocentric by noticing others and acknowledging their feelings and needs during play or other situations

Bowlby...attachments is his theory so you could observe a child on his positive relationships with you as a secondary carer or key person

Vygotsky...look at the Zone of Proximal Development ...you could observe what a child can do and potential development which will give you 'next steps' for learning in your planning

Hope it helps.