PDA

View Full Version : Leaving childminding advice needed

ClaireDalli
24-06-2014, 01:11 PM
Sadly, it looks like I am going to have to end my time childminding- my husband is out of work and what I'm earning is just not covering the bills so I need to find something more lucrative!
My question is, should I tell my parents that I'm looking for other employment or wait until I have secured a new job then give 4 weeks notice as stated in my contract?
If I tell them now I run the risk of them finding other childcare and leaving me with no income but I don't want to surprise them with this especially with the summer holidays approaching.

Tealady
24-06-2014, 01:26 PM
Harsh though it may sound, I'd be finding a job first before handing my notice. You have a family to look after and can't afford to loose any income which you would risk by terminating before.

You can bet your bottom dollar if they tables were turned they wouldn't be putting your needs above their own. I don't mean that they are deliberately selfish but when it comes to the crunch that's what they'd do, even if they did feel bad about it all.

smurfette
24-06-2014, 02:07 PM
Harsh though it may sound, I'd be finding a job first before handing my notice. You have a family to look after and can't afford to loose any income which you would risk by terminating before. You can bet your bottom dollar if they tables were turned they wouldn't be putting your needs above their own. I don't mean that they are deliberately selfish but when it comes to the crunch that's what they'd do, even if they did feel bad about it all.

Plus one!!!

hectors house
24-06-2014, 03:47 PM
Is there much childminding work in your area - could your husband register as your assistant? Could you look out for an evening job to fit in round your childminding?

When times have been lean I have cleaned offices in the evening or stacked shelves in a supermarket, sold Avon Cosmetics, Usborne books and Pampered Chef and worked a twilight shift 5 - 9 in a Care home.

I have just got a new child coming from 3 - 6 while his dad drives round delivering parcels for Hermes - working for a lady who has just got too much work on. Could your husband look for something like that or contact Hermes directly to do delivering for them?

Chatterbox Childcare
25-06-2014, 06:49 AM
It is a shame you are thinking of giving up but is there no way around this if you enjoy your job? When I first started I had to work nights in Asda shelf filling to make ends meet but it enabled me to keep going. There is going to be an influx of two years olds in September (mine has already started) so contact your council and see if you are eligible and get your name on their list of providers. I registered my DH as an assistant and he is now registered in his own right and we are starting an assistant in September.

hectors house
25-06-2014, 06:57 AM
It is a shame you are thinking of giving up but is there no way around this if you enjoy your job? When I first started I had to work nights in Asda shelf filling to make ends meet but it enabled me to keep going. There is going to be an influx of two years olds in September (mine has already started) so contact your council and see if you are eligible and get your name on their list of providers. I registered my DH as an assistant and he is now registered in his own right and we are starting an assistant in September.

Gosh it's a lean year where I live - I haven't filled my spaces for September when my 4 year olds start school, one pre-school is closing down as they didn't have enough 2 or 3 year olds booked in - said on the owners facebook page "no longer viable" , one pre-school had a huge advertising leaflet drop for an open day last weekend and another nursery told me they don't have many booked for Sept.

Chatterbox Childcare
25-06-2014, 07:48 AM
Gosh it's a lean year where I live - I haven't filled my spaces for September when my 4 year olds start school, one pre-school is closing down as they didn't have enough 2 or 3 year olds booked in - said on the owners facebook page "no longer viable" , one pre-school had a huge advertising leaflet drop for an open day last weekend and another nursery told me they don't have many booked for Sept.

Have you spoken to your council about 2 year old funding? I checked our council list and not many childminders were listed to give options, this is changing.

There will be two year olds due funding and here there is a big push next month to get them to use it.

Ripeberry
25-06-2014, 10:58 AM
Maybe your husband should be looking harder for a job? Can't see why it has to be you who makes the sacrifices?

hectors house
25-06-2014, 11:41 AM
Have you spoken to your council about 2 year old funding? I checked our council list and not many childminders were listed to give options, this is changing.

There will be two year olds due funding and here there is a big push next month to get them to use it.

Yes i am doing 2 year funding for an existing mindee whose mum can now claim that the rules changed in April and I was on the list that the council sent her. Going up update my adverts and go and hand some out around town and on village hall notice boards tomorrow on my day off - got my last wonderful little mindee 2 years ago from an advert in a village tea shop frequented by mummies who do yummy cakes!