PDA

View Full Version : expenses and maternity leave

Xiou
19-06-2014, 10:50 AM
i am taking at least a year off for maternity leave. Can i continue to still claim for any expenses during this time? ie insurance, ofsted fees, courses, books, subscriptions etc?

Is there anything that I shouldn't be putting through expenses while on maternity?

hectors house
19-06-2014, 11:59 AM
I would have thought you could put through the items you mentioned as you have to keep going your registration and insurance - obviously you won't be able to put through wear and tear (as you won't have any income to offset it against), also heating/light/council tax/water rates / petrol (unless you still attend training or provider evenings), I suppose you can still claim for resources like equipment or toys if you were buying in advance for when you return to work. But this is only what "I" think - I'm not Mr Tax man - hopefully someone with some experience of this will read your post and reply soon.

muffins
19-06-2014, 12:11 PM
You can but on each of the 3 times Ive claimed maternity allowance I've not earnt enough in that year to pay any tax anyway, so it wasn't worth claiming anything!