PDA

View Full Version : Smoke alarms

Jakepom
03-06-2014, 03:43 PM
Do any mains smoke alarms meet requirements, all the ones I see are to an EN standard. Do they need to be to BS:p5839
Thanks jp
:panic:

bunyip
03-06-2014, 04:50 PM
All I can say is that mains alarms had better meet the requirements since IIUC electricians must fit one before they can issue the building with a Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate for a re-wiring job.

Worth asking a qualified sparky or British Standards office.

My smoke alarm is in constant use: I use it as an oven timer. :p :rolleyes: :)

rickysmiths
03-06-2014, 06:20 PM
I have just had a look at my 4 and I can't see a mark or number on any of them! They were fitted by a qualified Electrician when we had our kitchen done and a large extension built. We had hard wired put in, our choice and we had to have a steam/heat detector in the kitchen to meet the new building regulations, we would not have got our cert without.

When I had a Fire Check done the Fire Brigade were more than happy with the three alarms and how they were wired in. If you have more than one they have to be wired in sequence so if one goes off they all go off.

smurfette
03-06-2014, 07:40 PM
All I can say is that mains alarms had better meet the requirements since IIUC electricians must fit one before they can issue the building with a Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate for a re-wiring job. Worth asking a qualified sparky or British Standards office. My smoke alarm is in constant use: I use it as an oven timer. :p :rolleyes: :)

Lol my dad used to cook our Saturday fry up and we always knew it was ready when the smoke alarm went off!

shortstuff
03-06-2014, 07:45 PM
Lol my dad used to cook our Saturday fry up and we always knew it was ready when the smoke alarm went off!

Mine goes off if I make bacon sarnies lol x it saves me testing the one in the hall way some weeks lol x

bunyip
05-06-2014, 06:52 AM
When I had a Fire Check done the Fire Brigade were more than happy with the three alarms and how they were wired in. If you have more than one they have to be wired in sequence so if one goes off they all go off.

Mine are like that. I'm not entirely sure why, since the average alarm can be not only be heard all over the average house, but also in the next street. :confused:

Still, it's invaluable for us wealthy CMs living in luxury off our "extortionate" fees (as per BBC Breakfast comment yesterday :mad: ). Here at Bunyip Towers I find it comforting to know I'll be alerted by linked alarms if, say, I'm with the lo's in the East Wing or Grand Ballroom when a fire starts in the servants' quarters. :rolleyes: