PDA

View Full Version : What do you do??

lor
26-05-2014, 05:48 PM
Hi there,

Just wondering what everyone else does when it comes to obs

I currently do 1 a week with photo but I am finding (especially with my 3yr olds) that the obs seem repetative although the actvity may be different the learning intention is more or less the same we're

concentrating on numbers both counting and recognition and mark making (letters)

even there free play seems repetative although the kids are happy and we're out every day at various play groups and parks I feel that I should be preparing them for school.

Would be really grateful for any advice on planning -sorry if this post dosen't make sense

Big thanks in advance xx

moggy
26-05-2014, 06:35 PM
Repetition is good- kids do it all the time.

But if you want to take a different angle with obs, and are thinking about school readiness, then look at self care and independence- putting on own coat, own shoes on, hand washing independently, if they know to put on cardi when cold, blowing their own nose, how they manage themselves when out- taking care near cars and holding hands nicely etc, eating with a fork/spoon at the table etc. All these are obs and are really important, sometimes we miss the basic stuff they are doing! School readiness is really not about numbers and letters (it was discussed here a while back and on Pacey discussions) much more important to be able to sit and listen, follow instructions, use toilet, get changed for PE, eat dinner/packed lunch independently, being eager to learn and interested in things, concentration etc.

I do loads of obs which are nothing to do with planned 'activities', these other things are just as important.

But anyway, 1 obs a week is fine, I tend to do 1-3 a week for a 4-day a week child, but some weeks none and then 4 the following week! Just depends what they are doing.

munch149
26-05-2014, 06:41 PM
My children are all part time and I tend to fill in my obs monthly now tho keep notes. Each month tends to contain 3-4 written obs and a few photos with descriptions of what child is learning. The most a child comes is three days a week. Apparently I do my planning and assessment a bit differently to the norm in my area tho??

blue bear
26-05-2014, 07:00 PM
Observations I've done on my four year olds recently:

Dress themselves
Fasten buttons
Sharing
Caring towards siblings
Using scissors accurately
Listening to story in a group
Sounding out words
Opening own packets for packed lunch

All things that are part of school ready but all things I've not seen them able to fully do them independently before that's why I wrote them up as an observation.

While lots of their play is repetitive I'm always watching to see if there is a new skill or something I have picked up they need more support with, so when playing with dolls child a fastens all the button on its coat, child b wrote the word cat after pounding it put on the post it note she had in her nappy bag child c notices child a needs a tissue and goes gets him one.. That sort of thing.