PDA

View Full Version : Childminding figures down...

Bumble Beez
23-05-2014, 12:45 PM
http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/nursery-world/news/1144244/childminder-exodus?utm_content=&utm_campaign=23.05.14%20NW%20Update&utm_source=Nursery%20World&utm_medium=adestra_email&utm_term=http%3A%2F%2F

Interesting article regarding childminders leaving the profession, and states that 'red tape' is being cut for existing childcare providers...

What are your thoughts?

Sarah x

watford wizz
23-05-2014, 01:05 PM
I think with all that's been going on this is not surprising sadly and if they make agencies compulsory or being independent difficult there will be more losses. Iv been minding for 23 years and seen lots of wonderful minders throw in the towel it's all very sad. Having said that I'm not prepared to give in without a fight.

Simona
25-05-2014, 08:07 AM
Figures down....not surprising due to the uncertainty in many areas for CMs and so much conflicting advice

I would like to know what calibre of CMs are leaving : RI/inadequate or Good/outstanding?...that would make a real difference
Maybe those who leave should be asked the reason why and I am sure it would be an eye opener if they were willing to state their reason
It could also be that some of the leavers are not able to comply with registration and legislation? who knows?

Agencies are set up to get more high calibre CMs into the profession?.....we will never know their calibre because they are not individually inspected so not individually accountable

Red tape has been cut both in EYFS and other areas but CMs continue to produce unnecessary paperwork
we have LAs who continue to impose restrictions and conditions on Cms and CMs do not ask them why

We also need to use the Ofsted guidance and engage at inspections not dread them...inspections have changed and are no longer based on paperwork...they are based on how we teach and get children to achieve good outcomes

My view of course

bunyip
25-05-2014, 09:00 AM
Let's just go with the idea that 'red tape' has actually been cut. I've yet to hear any regime spokesperson spell out exactly what has been cut and show me that I'm doing less work (when the children aren't present) as a result.

Even if this vague idea of "we've cut red tape" is true, look what else has been cut. Virtually all support in the form of grants, training, and children's services in general, through both central and local regime funding cuts.

Anything of this nature that CMs may be able to access will be almost wholly sourced via agencies. So the other thing to be 'cut' will be a CM's individual freedom of action and decision-making.

What hasn't been cut has been 'expectations'. When I did my pre-reg course, the message was "satisfactory is perfectly fine". Now everything hangs on a 'good' or 'outstanding' inspection grade. ie. They register you cos you're fine to work with children, then come round to judge that you're not any longer. :confused: And increasingly, care is not enough. School-ready is all that matters, even at the price of the death of childhood as we know it. :panic:

Simona
25-05-2014, 09:22 AM
Let's just go with the idea that 'red tape' has actually been cut. I've yet to hear any regime spokesperson spell out exactly what has been cut and show me that I'm doing less work (when the children aren't present) as a result.

Even if this vague idea of "we've cut red tape" is true, look what else has been cut. Virtually all support in the form of grants, training, and children's services in general, through both central and local regime funding cuts.

Anything of this nature that CMs may be able to access will be almost wholly sourced via agencies. So the other thing to be 'cut' will be a CM's individual freedom of action and decision-making.

What hasn't been cut has been 'expectations'. When I did my pre-reg course, the message was "satisfactory is perfectly fine". Now everything hangs on a 'good' or 'outstanding' inspection grade. ie. They register you cos you're fine to work with children, then come round to judge that you're not any longer. :confused: And increasingly, care is not enough. School-ready is all that matters, even at the price of the death of childhood as we know it. :panic:

Bunyip...my personal view is that there is a difference between 'requirements' and 'red tape'...the latter being unnecessary and we should be able to decide what is superfluous not adding more 'just in case'...policies are a good example when it comes to CMs.
it would be great to be able to discuss this face to face rather than online but no opportunity to do so

Cms are not the only ones spending time outside of working hours to fulfil all the requirements, it happens in other settings too and in all professions where people are self employed

I agree that agencies will deprive CMs of any form of individuality because agencies will impose conditions to be accountable and ensure they can quality assure their members by providing the same paperwork for all....we will see when evidence comes out of how they are run.
Networks imposed conditions and agencies are nothing else but new networks

I also feel that the 'school ready' label has been misunderstood by many but that is another issue

LAs have had their funding cut, their role reduced...or so we are told although CMs continue to complain about the conditions applied.... and we have less free training etc etc.....to be expected by this govt as we know what their policy is all about...the very reason they have commissioned the SEED research

sarah707
25-05-2014, 05:59 PM
cypnow have a similar article - Dramatic fall in childminders linked to launch of agencies | Children & Young People Now (http://www.cypnow.co.uk/cyp/news/1144288/dramatic-fall-childminders-linked-launch-agencies)

jackie 7
26-05-2014, 06:10 PM
It is also the fear that ofsted will inspect and downgrade over silly things.

JCrakers
27-05-2014, 07:13 AM
I'm not surprised in the slightest at the figures.
But it could be that minders who know they cant keep up with Ofsted and have just given in because they can't put in the effort to get to a good ( 3 in my town have done this and another who is Satisfactory is due an inspection any day, she knows she wont get a better grade) OR....it could be good quality childminders who have left which is bad.

There is a childcare shortage in my town and I've had at least 9 enquiries for childcare in the past 6months, had to turn them all down. I reckon this is due to the new 2yr funding spaces and nurseries have less space.

Simona
27-05-2014, 08:19 AM
Unfortunately no one...not even Ofsted....knows why these CMs have left

There is no requirement to tell Ofsted or give a reason for leaving so it will only be speculation...when you ring them up to tell them all they say is 'destroy your certificate'...no goodbye...no thank you.

However... the trend shows the govt may be succeeding in making cms stay independent as difficult as they can as you are just proving by the comments posted here.....would you not say?