PDA

View Full Version : new paperwork from DO as she said i was making it too complicated

mrs robbie williams
20-05-2014, 12:02 PM
so ive been observing, writing up the observation, evaluating it, linking it with dm and then planning next steps from it i then date on dm that lo has achieved it so basically an a4 piece of paper with photo stuck on brief description of what lo is doing then on the back the actual observation. At the end of each term i was typing up an assessment sheet saying what the lo has achieved and what i am planning for the following term etc. I also had an individual planning sheet for each lo with next steps on and how i planned to achieve them each week.

so now she has given me a sheet of box templates to copy and then to cut and stick on under each photo that is my observation and i will link it to dm
weekly planner - self explanatory but she said to do it weekly and file it as ofsted will want to see
review and planning sheet - self explanatory just do it at three monthly intervals

when linking to dm it doesnt have to be the actual wording which i didnt realise it can just loosely relate to dm

and she also told me that to apply for funding for 2yr olds and nursery children you no longer need the Level 3, you just need to be good or outstanding and be working with your local authority.

:thumbsup:

Maza
20-05-2014, 12:08 PM
That's a good sheet, I like it! I have actually stopped doing photos as it was getting too expensive printing them out and I am having to watch every penny at the moment. When are you going to start using it? x

mrs robbie williams
20-05-2014, 12:18 PM
i know what you mean about photos but i thought we had to have them? i order mine online they work out about 5p a print, ive just had a delivery so will start using them from today xx

moggy
20-05-2014, 12:40 PM
i know what you mean about photos but i thought we had to have them? i order mine online they work out about 5p a print, ive just had a delivery so will start using them from today xx

Nothing says we have to use photos.
But it is nice for children and parents to see them and a photo can say so much. I do videos too. But I do it all online so no printing.

Tinkerbell1979
20-05-2014, 01:03 PM
That's a good sheet, I like it! I have actually stopped doing photos as it was getting too expensive printing them out and I am having to watch every penny at the moment. When are you going to start using it? x

Free Prints app is fab !!

loocyloo
20-05-2014, 01:05 PM

I just print my photos out on normal paper using the printer. I also make the photos small so I can print lots on one page! or I use my POGO printer.

I have just started using LIDL photos ... you can get 16 small ( very - just under 3x4cm ) sticker photos that are excellent quality for £1.49 sheet plus postage. postage seems to stay the same regardless of how many sheets I order! you can put 16 different photos on each sheet. very easy to do. not necessarily cheap, but good!

rickysmiths
20-05-2014, 01:50 PM
so ive been observing, writing up the observation, evaluating it, linking it with dm and then planning next steps from it i then date on dm that lo has achieved it so basically an a4 piece of paper with photo stuck on brief description of what lo is doing then on the back the actual observation. At the end of each term i was typing up an assessment sheet saying what the lo has achieved and what i am planning for the following term etc. I also had an individual planning sheet for each lo with next steps on and how i planned to achieve them each week.

so now she has given me a sheet of box templates to copy and then to cut and stick on under each photo that is my observation and i will link it to dm
weekly planner - self explanatory but she said to do it weekly and file it as ofsted will want to see
review and planning sheet - self explanatory just do it at three monthly intervals

when linking to dm it doesnt have to be the actual wording which i didnt realise it can just loosely relate to dm

and she also told me that to apply for funding for 2yr olds and nursery children you no longer need the Level 3, you just need to be good or outstanding and be working with your local authority.

:thumbsup:

But you don't have to link your obs to DM. It was changed in Sept 2012 and written in such a way that it stops us linking because Ofsted said we were doing too much. It is a document for reference only. All you need from Obs is next steps and to show you are following up on next steps. Ofsted do not expect to see any written planning at all. All they are interested in is next steps and that you are aiding progression and that you know where your child is. I don't know why do say this I wish they would listen to what Ofsted keeps saying instead of getting people to do things they don't need.

It depends on how many photos you put into their LJ but I don't always use them to support an observation. Many of them are there just because of a moment enjoyed or absorbed in an activity. I use the Pacey EYFS stickers to indicate the area of learning for each photo but I don't do anything as much in detail and would hate to add the suggested sheets because it would make the LJ look so 'official' sorry can't think of a better phrase, and my LJ are a record of the child's time with me, almost a scrapbook full of fun and play and learning through that play alongside friends.

Chatterbox Childcare
21-05-2014, 06:22 AM
If you had 6 children during the week you would be spending a lot of time on your paperwork. Not sure what I think of the observation sheet but the other two would work well